5.2l engine stalled out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I can't believe it may be the crank position sensor again! what could be causing that sensor to go. what tools can you use to get to the 2 bolts on it?
from underneath you can see it but not reach it. from top you can reach but cannot see it.

I'd hate to buy a 90.00 or more sensor and have it blow.

but symptoms point to this being the problem. no spark but cranks fine.

UPDATE:
installed a new (cheap chinese) cps today and truck cranked right up!
I don't consider the problem solved though.

I still want to figure out why this is the 4th CPS I've had to put in this truck. before you say. the last one was a Mopar.

any ideas appreciated.

rr

Last edited:

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had both crank and cam position sensors replaced a few years ago on my 2001 5.9L. The mechanic said that when one sensor goes, it causes the other sensor to go out, too. Now, I don't know if that is really true or not, but it might be a place to start. Have you replaced the cam sensor?

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
no but maybe if the cam sensor goes the crank cps will follow but not the other way around. I don't know.

I decided to replace the pcv valve and see what that does but it hasn't arrived yet.

one odd thing happened is when I cleaned out the breather with brakleen and nudge torqued the plenum bolts after I replaced the Map sensor. I got over 20mpg on a 160mi round trip.
I thought back to make sure it wasn't a mistake somehow but I think it was legit!
I'm gonna see what happens after next fill up. more city driving this time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo