5.7 hemi Evap leaks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sprinkler Magicia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2014 2500 with the 5.7 hemi 145K miles from an auction recently without inspecting it in person. I know you guys are going to roast me because I probably shouldn't have but I did. Upon delivery we replaced the battery and started it. It was hard starting, had to crank for like 6 or 7 seconds then it started momentarily then died. Then I started it again, this time only cranking for about two seconds. Then for the rest of the day it started fine, like normal. I was driving it from the drop off location to my house which was about 5 miles, on the way I stopped and got these codes from the auto parts store:

P1C4E Fault in ABS/ESP module
P2181 Hot engine
P0562 Alternator and/or battery
P0457 Evap Loose gas cap
P0441 Evap Incorrect purge flow
P0456 Evap small leak in evap.

Then I went to the gas station as it was on empty, but I couldn't put any more than a gallon in the tank before the gas station pump clicked off. I tried to squeeze more in but only got a total of two gallons in there. So I figured the fuel tank was full and I drove home. A mile or so later the truck overheated, I called in some distilled water and we put in more than a gallon. There is a loud noise from the front right side and I believe that the wheel bearing is going out, I was hoping that was the first code but haven't torn into it yet. The rest of the drive home was uneventful. Each time I started it for the rest of the day it started right up like it should. After sitting for two days it was a little hard starting, not terrible like the first time but had to crank an additional one or two seconds. Today after sitting for four days without starting it started with maybe an additional 1 second of cranking. Not bad but I wonder if that helps me figure out what these codes are.

I had assumed there was a leak in the fuel delivery system between the fuel pump and the engine and that the long cranking was an issue caused by that leak. I had figured that the fuel tank was full and the fuel float was broken or disconnected or something which is why it was showing empty. I figured maybe someone had replaced the fuel pump and broken something causing evap codes and did it wrong such that the float wasn't working.

Now after doing some research I wonder if the tank really was empty and the esim thing with the vapor filter isn't purging air in the tank. I wonder if that would somehow cause a loss of prime? Then I wonder if maybe it was hard starting because it was so empty on fuel? Or is the fuel pump going bad? I think the coolant thing is a separate issue. I haven't changed the oil yet so I don't know if there is a head gasket leak but that is on the list of things to do.

I can figure this out on my own, but if someone who is more familiar with this truck knows what is going on and can give me a better direction than I already have then that will save me a bunch of time and expense and be greatly appreciated.