500lbs TW max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2017 sport CC SB with the tow pkg.
3.92's , heavy duty coolers, etc ...
on the plastic piece on the bumper it says max TW 500lbs , max gross trailer wieght 5000lbs?? what the ****? On rams tow capability page i should have 1300lbs payload and 10000lbs towing. .. confused ? want to buy a trailer.

Are you new to this truck owning thing? It is the bumper rating. Has nothing to do with your trucks capabilities. Those ratings have been on bumpers for a long time. Good luck.

OP
OP
clays laramie

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
the truck is newish(6months) , i had a 14 laramie b4.. just never noticed it written their. .

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are you new to this truck owning thing? It is the bumper rating. Has nothing to do with your trucks capabilities. Those ratings have been on bumpers for a long time. Good luck.

Way to come off like a **** lol.

lilsable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Way to come off like a **** lol.

So the poster freaks out over the printing on a mass production bumper because he thinks this is where to find the tow capabilities of his specific truck and I am wrong for asking if he is new to truck ownership? Wasn't meant to offend. But those who have taken offense probably are reading more into the words than what is there. Good luck.

OP
OP
clays laramie

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i didnt take any offence to what u wrote. But ive owned 3 different rams in 8 years, so not new to these trucks. As i am a senior member and i see you are a junior member. ive just never pulled anything heavy enougj where i had to check the capabilities of these trucks. . i knew the towing capacity was 10,000lbs thats why i was concerned to see part of what was written their.. Not freaking out, concerend as im buying a new trailer. . I live in canada and there is still snow and ice where i live and the bumper was still mostly covered in ice ,gravel and dirt. . all i could see was a 5000lbs capacitycapacity written there and had never noticed it before on my other trucks .. thanks to everyone for the reasponces. .
cheers

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i didnt take any offence to what u wrote. But ive owned 3 different rams in 8 years, so not new to these trucks. As i am a senior member and i see you are a junior member. ive just never pulled anything heavy enougj where i had to check the capabilities of these trucks. . i knew the towing capacity was 10,000lbs thats why i was concerned to see part of what was written their.. Not freaking out, concerend as im buying a new trailer. . I live in canada and there is still snow and ice where i live and the bumper was still mostly covered in ice ,gravel and dirt. . all i could see was a 5000lbs capacitycapacity written there and had never noticed it before on my other trucks .. thanks to everyone for the reasponces. .
cheers

They weren't referring to you but me. I am not sensitive, just call it how I see it. Hehe. If I wasn't sure I would ask to so meh. Kittens and rainbows for all.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The TTs you mentioned will be fine my TT when loaded is approximately 7,500 the hitch weight is 750-800#.
For a standard high wall travel trailer you want 12-15% tongue weight to limit sway. I aim for 13%, which would put a 7500 lbs trailer at 975 lbs. If you have 10% tongue weight (750 lbs) you will experience sway at almost any speed. It will be grossly unsafe and difficult to control.