50k service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanktop

Reaction score
My wife’s 2013 1500 Hemi Outdoorsmen with 6-speed trans just hit 50k and it’s probably due for a major service. I know plugs are due and I think I’m one of the lucky ones who get iridium plugs, do I need genuine mopar or are aftermarket that are just as good?

Funny thing is I’m a service advisor for VW, if you have a newer VW feel free to take it to your favorite local shop or do it yourself, just know you’ll be seeing me sooner than later. Ram’s aren’t that temperamental so I’m thinking of having my own techs do the work and getting everything off the interwebs, any quirks or specialty equipment these trucks require?

What other services are also recommended?

Coolant flush?
Brake fluid flush?
Trans service?
Transfer case service?
Differential service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
I would check the recommended schedule in the owners manual as listed above but I would say everything you have listed would be on the list for a 6 year old truck. just get quality fluid for all the replacements a lot of redline fans around here me personally i like amsoil i have good luck with it. as far as the plugs i believe 2012 or 2013 was the year they swapped to the iridium plugs if you have them they should be good till what the manual says 100k (personally i would change them out closer to 80k). while your guys have it i would have them just do a good look over it and see what else it could use. And im sure being at a VW dealership your parts guy can get most of the stuff you will need cheap as well like brake fluid ect....

OP
OP
T

tanktop

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I think my truck specifies plugs at 40k but I’ll look up everything in Alldata. My wife commutes about 2 miles a day, rarely getting the truck up to operating temp and keeping it there in my opinion is worse than constant heavy towing. Anyway, at 6 years old and only 50k, spending $1,000 to keep it happy for another 6 years and 50k is a worthwhile investment.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd certainly do the trans fluid and coolant and brake fluid. Differential if it has limited slip.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Owner's manual is your friend. I suppose it's par for the course that a service adviser has no idea what is listed in the manual and just thinks a whole bunch of things need to be done. Pretty much what I get at my dealer.

Having a lifetime warranty my ONLY care is keeping the warranty intact. If it's not in the manual it's not getting done on my dime (yet another savings for you warranty bashers out there). I have to bring a printout of the maintenance schedule. The funny thing is, the things that ARE listed don't even get pushed. For example I'm coming up on 100K and need to change out the spark plugs. When asking the service adviser at my last oil change he seemed shocked and confused at the question of how much it costs. He was just too busy trying to sell me on flushing brake fluid.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny how everyone has a different idea of the right amount of maintenance. I get accused of recreational maintenance.. maybe that's my zen garden instead of raking sand and trimming bonsai trees I replace seals and hoses and lubricants.
But I also have two ~20 year old cars in the stable (Mitsubishi and Ford) that don't burn or leak a drop of oil so if someone says I'm wasting my time and money chances are I wouldn't be interested in buying their leaky, janky and filthy used car, too. :deal: :D

OP
OP
T

tanktop

Reaction score
Funny how everyone has a different idea of the right amount of maintenance. I get accused of recreational maintenance.. maybe that's my zen garden instead of raking sand and trimming bonsai trees I replace seals and hoses and lubricants.
But I also have two ~20 year old cars in the stable (Mitsubishi and Ford) that don't burn or leak a drop of oil so if someone says I'm wasting my time and money chances are I wouldn't be interested in buying their leaky, janky and filthy used car, too. :deal: :D

I have a neighbor that works on his vehicles almost every weekend. If he doesn’t have a tool or piece of equipment required to do a unique job he makes the tool.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I have a neighbor that works on his vehicles almost every weekend. If he doesn’t have a tool or piece of equipment required to do a unique job he makes the tool.

The maintenance your looking to do is super easy. As long as you’re inclined and have the time, you’ll save about half or more than what you’d spend at the shop.

You can find all the how to’s here or on YouTube.

OP
OP
T

tanktop

Reaction score
The maintenance your looking to do is super easy. As long as you’re inclined and have the time, you’ll save about half or more than what you’d spend at the shop.

You can find all the how to’s here or on YouTube.

I agree but I work 60 hours a week, my time off is worth paying someone else.

OP
OP
T

tanktop

Reaction score
Went to the dealer today and bought their 4 oil change and 4 tire rotations for $170 at that price they’re almost loosing money and betting the customer will buy other services. They hit me up for everything I thought except a coolant flush which I thought was strange.

Rear diff limited slip
Transfer case
F&R brakes
Brake flush
Spark plugs

I’ll have my shop do the work, probably pay a tech on the side.

Suggestions on limited slip fluid and T-case?
Probably do Brembo brakes all around.
Basic dot 4 brake fluid, maybe BG additive
OEM plugs.

I’m open to other suggestions. Unless someone has a major problem with Brembo’s (other than price) I think I’m set on them, basic and well engineered, nothing fancy. Basic standard fluids should get the job done, maybe OEM since my dealership has a wholesale account with the local Dodge dealership. Same with the plugs, the engineers at Dodge/Ram probably knew what they were doing.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Son of a *****, I would have paid a $170 in the a second. I am also **** about my truck and and just did the spark plugs and what a pain i* t** a**. Better to play it safe.

OP
OP
T

tanktop

Reaction score
I was almost ready to buy the Brembo rotor and pad combo but remembered Akebono is probably the OEM supplier. Opted for the highest quality pad and all said its 50% of OEM Mopar parts and probably a little higher quality. Holiday shopping times suck though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tank, if you don't have irridium plugs, you are either 10000 miles early on the plug change of 20000 miles overdue. I suggest using OE plugs. Some aftermarket plugs don't play well with the hemi. There is a vendor on the forum, Nickgotexhaust, who has some pretty good pricing on the brakes you mentioned as well as redline fluids. Good luck.