5th Gen 2019-21 12" UAX Owners Radio Reboot Issues/info here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

12" UAX radio owners please post/reply back with your truck info/observations similar to what I have done below.
(May add a Poll Later)

** If you don't have this radio please refrain from posting - we understood those that are glad they didn't get this radio **

Like others that picked up a 5th gen Bighorn, Laramie, Limited with the 12" UAX radio by Panasonic, I have found myself with a frequently rebooting radio after 4 months & 4500 miles on the truck.
(I drive 70+ miles a day for work, so it's happens 2-3 times each way now. Radio is fantastic when it worked up to this point).

I've got a trip to the dealer this week but already know the answer is that there's a sw update supposedly coming out in April that fixes it... Which we know from the 2018 4th gen UAQ/UAS radio could actually be 1.5 - 2yrs to get an update. Just want to get it documented.

My truck info :

- 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
- 12" UAX radio
- HW PN: CNSC29NFGL
- Application Version: v 33.3.0
(USA-SBX-12.1-LR-33.3.0-20191203-LORM)

My observations:

- Sirius XM radio almost always cuts out first, sometimes for a few minutes before the radio reboots.

- Will get a message: "SXM radio is unavailable" and SXM button is grayed out.

- Often some portion of the screen will go blank before the Reboot if running the split screen... Usually the media/SXM card

- Doesn't matter what audio/media option is playing before the Reboot. ...
SXM, Android Auto/ie Pandora app, fm radio, USB drive, etc.

- Doesn't matter if anything is plugged into the usb hub/ports, ie ... Phone (AA on GS9), USB drive.
(I've made drives with nothing plugged in)

- Doesn't matter if I disable ALL SXM NOTIFICATIONS as some have suggested on other Panasonic 8.4 that do this.

** I do believe that the issue is related to the SXM/Satellite module (SDARS) which faults out and causes the Reboot. Specifically...

>> If I go into DEALER MENU when SXM is working, you can see that the Following info is populated....
- SDAR hardware version: 01-00-01
- SDAR firmware version: 11-46-00
- SDAR Audio/Traffic/Data on Demand: TN647D8H

>> When I check this screen after it faults out/reboots ... SXM is greyed out & " Unavailable" it doesn't show any SDARS info (Just blanks):
- SDAR hardware version:
- SDAR firmware version:
- SDAR Audio/Traffic/Data on Demand:

** To access DEALER MENU : hold the 2 Lower, Outside App Icons at the bottom of the screen for 6-10 secs **

My Video links of the issue:

- 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 DT 12" UAX radio reboot issue (4660 miles) Pt1

- 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 DT 12" UAX radio reboot issue (4660 miles) Pt2

Screenshots:

Dealer Menu - Radio Info
faa6365afa5a00591817cfc1cc0e8926.jpg

Dealer Menu - SDARS info
e3d635741f8448808e36c3787caa1ee5.jpg

Screen Error switching from AA to Nav
3a837fbca9ed2be9166b8e1dd75c600d.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Where are all you 5th Gen 12" UAX Owners at?
Just curious if you all have the same blank info on the SDARS page when it faults out and that you have the same symptoms.

M² Mods.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I have a 2020 PW.

I have never had a problem with the 12" radio.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I might be jinxing myself here but.. I had a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited from July 2019 to April 2020 20k miles. No issues with the 12" unit out of that truck.

I've owned my 2021 since October 2020 and about 8k miles now. No issues out of that one either... so far.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@LeesEvoX @Arth
Any chance you can post pictures from the dealer menu of your radio info screen showing radio HW PN, application version etc as well as your SDARS info screen?

I'm curious what the current versions are for the 2020 and 2021 units.

M² Mods.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Looks like the hardware version on the SDAR is updated on mine.

Along with the software, an bootmicro on the radio information

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Now to see if @Arth will post his radio info and mileage for his 2021. Just trying to compare SW/FW/HW PNs.

I've read (elsewhere) some of the 2020's still have issues with the UAX radio like the 2019's...

Haven't seen much feedback on the 2021.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now to see if @Arth will post his radio info and mileage for his 2021. Just trying to compare SW/FW/HW PNs.

I've read (elsewhere) some of the 2020's still have issues with the UAX radio like the 2019's...

Haven't seen much feedback on the 2021.

Here's what I've got on my 2021. 8k miles.

[ 20210219_230635.jpg 20210219_230626.jpg

View attachment 238378

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Small update to this...
(From Car Complaints.com TSB List.)

Apparently there was supposed to be a sw (F)OTA update to my 19 ram 1500 DT's 12" UAX RADIO to application version 34.2 which never happened.
I thought 34.2 was for 2020 radios only. Dropped off at the dealer for the update ... Will see how it goes (& try to get the file)

Here's the TSB number and reference (applies to 2019/2020 5th gen 8.4 UAV and 12" UAX radios).

- TSB 08-048-20 REV. A.

SUMMARY (Sept 2020)

UAX, UCX, UAV and UCV Radio Over the Air Software Version Updates This bulletin provides information regarding the latest Flash Over The Air (FOTA) update and provides the service technician an overview of the steps a customer will need to take to complete the update. The radio software will be updated to 34.2. Customers may experience one or more of the following:Uconnect App inoperative(DT Vehicles Only). Voice Recognition (VR) inoperative(DT Vehicles Only). Radio resets (DT Vehicles Only). Radio locks up, freezes or resets. Bluetooth device is slow to pair, or does not pair. GPS unable to load and find locations. Loss of saved radio presets. Display screen is back with no backlighting. No audio output coming from the radio. Cannot control audio volume. Rear view camera display will not turn off.

Edit: still rebooting.
Found a StarCase S2008000114 about SXM button Grayed out after the v34.2 update. (Replace radio).

**** Some other places to look at ****

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/RAM.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 Uconnect 12 issues. My sirius xm will lock the radio, no volume control and can't switch to regular radio, bluetooth and phone will not work. Happens about 1/4 of the time you jump in the truck. Only fix is to turn the truck off, get out, lock the doors and wait a few minutes before starting back up. Happened day one I drove it off the lot. Dealer was horrible, took it in 4 different times and each time they were able to replicate but kept saying an update would be out next month....never came. I contacted @RamCares and they forward me on to Uconnect. I gotta say they have been very responsive! So much so they actually had to fight with the dealer to get a radio ordered...and they (Uconnect) ware paying for it! I mean come on why was the dealer refusing work they are to be paid for...lol?

I know we all like to come to forums to complain, not calling anyone out I do it too. But I also think the best use of these is to get issues resolved. Here's what I would suggest. Reach out to ram cares, who will then forward you on to Uconnect. They have been awesome, and the follow up is top notch. Oh and my issue I have been pulling my hair out over....radio was ordered yesterday. I will update when it gets installed.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Dealer was able to replicate the failure and opened a star case (after the v34.2 update didn't fix it) ... which told them to replace the radio. Will see how things go once it gets in and replaced... Hopefully with a new unit vs refurbished.

M² Mods.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer was able to replicate the failure and opened a star case (after the v34.2 update didn't fix it) ... which told them to replace the radio. Will see how things go once it gets in and replaced... Hopefully with a new unit vs refurbished.

M² Mods.

Yikes. Well at least you've got traction. I had a weird issue this morning. Came to a stop and the radio rebooted and I got a notification on the dash that my 110 outlet for my Rambox was turned on. No issues once the reset finished. Will keep an eye on it.

RIRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e
Yikes. Well at least you've got traction. I had a weird issue this morning. Came to a stop and the radio rebooted and I got a notification on the dash that my 110 outlet for my Rambox was turned on. No issues once the reset finished. Will keep an eye on it.
My understanding is that the outlets will turn off if overloaded then automatically reset. If you had this keep an eye out, might be something causing a short

gmarshen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2020 Uconnect 12 issues. My sirius xm will lock the radio, no volume control and can't switch to regular radio, bluetooth and phone will not work. Happens about 1/4 of the time you jump in the truck. Only fix is to turn the truck off, get out, lock the doors and wait a few minutes before starting back up. Happened day one I drove it off the lot. Dealer was horrible, took it in 4 different times and each time they were able to replicate but kept saying an update would be out next month....never came. I contacted @RamCares and they forward me on to Uconnect. I gotta say they have been very responsive! So much so they actually had to fight with the dealer to get a radio ordered...and they (Uconnect) ware paying for it! I mean come on why was the dealer refusing work they are to be paid for...lol?

I know we all like to come to forums to complain, not calling anyone out I do it too. But I also think the best use of these is to get issues resolved. Here's what I would suggest. Reach out to ram cares, who will then forward you on to Uconnect. They have been awesome, and the follow up is top notch. Oh and my issue I have been pulling my hair out over....radio was ordered yesterday. I will update when it gets installed.

gmarshen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just started to have the same issue. Sirius won’t connect, and no access to am/fm/Bluetooth. Works fine then goes out and back again. Referred to SiriusXM and they’re troubleshooting but based on your comments it sounds like a radio issue. Guess I’ll try Ram customer care and schedule a visit to the dealer. Of. Course the radio will work when I go and they’ll say they we unable to replicate the issue.