5th Gen 2019-21 12" UAX Owners Radio Reboot Issues/info here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just started to have the same issue. Sirius won’t connect, and no access to am/fm/Bluetooth. Works fine then goes out and back again. Referred to SiriusXM and they’re troubleshooting but based on your comments it sounds like a radio issue. Guess I’ll try Ram customer care and schedule a visit to the dealer. Of. Course the radio will work when I go and they’ll say they we unable to replicate the issue.
Got my truck back yesterday with the radio module replaced. We'll see how it goes.

If you can determine that it takes a specific amount of time like I did to occur/replicate it (20-35 mins of run time)... That will help them to troubleshoot it and you to verify it's fixed later.
I had to leave my truck with the dealer for almost a week for them to test/troubleshoot with the Star Case techs before Star would recommend the radio replacement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just started to have the same issue. Sirius won’t connect, and no access to am/fm/Bluetooth. Works fine then goes out and back again. Referred to SiriusXM and they’re troubleshooting but based on your comments it sounds like a radio issue. Guess I’ll try Ram customer care and schedule a visit to the dealer. Of. Course the radio will work when I go and they’ll say they we unable to replicate the issue.

Hello,

We heard you were experiencing these same concerns and wanted to reach out. Please let us know if you'd like any additional support while working with your dealer to get this addressed!

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Ram Cares

waterbuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2019 3500 Longhorn, 12" screen.....reboots constantly...only started a few days ago.
Is there a fix?? I have an appt at the dealer tmro....fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
2019 3500 Longhorn, 12" screen.....reboots constantly...only started a few days ago.
Is there a fix?? I have an appt at the dealer tmro....fingers crossed.
You need to identify exactly how/when & timeframe it happens so they can repeat it. My replacement radio has been good so far... Well see what happens after another 4500 miles

Edit: 16,000 mi & still ok.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Last edited:

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I am having a similar issue. 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and every 2 weeks or so I lose the radio while on Sirius. Doesn’t seem to reboot, but I lose satellite radio, Bluetooth and AM FM. I normally set it on FM and wait to go thru a drive cycle and it’ll start working fine. It’s happened to me twice so far.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi there -- new to this forum. I purchased my 4th Dodge/Ram pickup, a 2020 Ram 2500, in December 2020 -- and after very careful consideration, I'm of the opinion that the UConnect 12" infotainment system sucks.

The device has locked up every 3 or 4 starts since day 1 of ownership. Usually it hangs on the "Loading SiriuxXM..." screen, but it will go to a black screen as well. While it's locked up, the AM/FM doesn't work (or at least I'm unable to tune a station in), but the backup camera still works as do the climate controls. I can play music via the USB port from a thumb drive, however no media information is displayed.

So I finally got an appointment at the dealership in April 2021 to have it looked at. Fortunately, it locked up on the way out there so there was no question as to the malfunction. I was told that I had the latest firmware so after consulting with Ram/FCA they were just going to order a new unit and replace it.

Three months later I'm still waiting for a radio. I'd like to say that one has at least been ordered, however neither the dealership nor Ram Customer Care can tell me what the status is -- both are giving me the run-around as to the status of the replacement. I'm having a hard time believing that so many people in so many different places are this clueless by accident.

Has anyone else encountered this foot-dragging?

kona fleming

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the same problem with my radio no am no FM and no XM Just a little booting screen saying unavailable

iamovru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2019 Limited Crew Cab in July 2021. I first started having the same issues as the rest of you, about a month ago . Of course the dealer does not know of any issues and said there is NO FIX. I am ****** that I bought a very expensive truck and something as simple as the radio freezes up periodically . I called RAM customer care and of course they are not aware of issues . Mine does the same thing. Sirius Searchs , volume locks up and radio stations do not work. Has anyone heard of a real fix yet ?

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I have the 8.4 in my 5th Gen Ram Sport, also had in my 4th Gen, is there an huge difference in trying to upgrade to the 12”? From what I see, unless you have a 22, it doesn’t use the full screen, and I see alot of issues on here about them? Just gauging to see if it’s something worth upgrading for? I have a local guy here selling just a screen for 1400.
It doesn’t have the module, (I’ve read that need a different module) and it still needs to be flashed? Dealer can do?
Any advice would be appreciated

SF_bay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn Max Cab
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Hello I think I may be having the same issue with my 2022 Longhorn 2500 with 12” screen has 1k miles. Every time I go under an overpass system seems to unconnect, sometimes it comes back other times screen stays dark yet I can hear music. Uconnect is at Release 1 Version 31 Mod 6.
another issue I see is for no apparent reason when I am in ‘media’ mode system will switch over to ‘home’ screen for no reason.
This software battle between ‘master/***** software’ was evident in my 2018 Longhorn 3500, it did not matter if I had AM/FM, or Sirius XM on once Apple got connected it was the master software. It appears that problem is fixed in 2022 by letting the owner deciding which media has control, but something like going in a tunnel or under a bridge and the system recycles , that battle of who had/has control takes place and get confused.
I’ve written enough code to know that prioritizing their software to always be the master is what drives marketing. So Dodge will come back and say problem is between Uconnect/Apple/Sirius NOT US

SF_bay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn Max Cab
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Hello again so after posting my reply above I saw my comments regarding writing code and prioritizing software and the phrase ‘master/s l a v e’ being overwritten. This is common code options foran engineer to be able to set priorities for who gets CPU cycles / IO cycles more then others and is stated as such when building a system. Not ment for any derogatory issues

TheRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Late to the party, but there is a software release to pr39.9 for 12 in systems. It fixes quite a few bugs

DustyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 Uconnect 12 issues. My sirius xm will lock the radio, no volume control and can't switch to regular radio, bluetooth and phone will not work. Happens about 1/4 of the time you jump in the truck. Only fix is to turn the truck off, get out, lock the doors and wait a few minutes before starting back up. Happened day one I drove it off the lot. Dealer was horrible, took it in 4 different times and each time they were able to replicate but kept saying an update would be out next month....never came. I contacted @RamCares and they forward me on to Uconnect. I gotta say they have been very responsive! So much so they actually had to fight with the dealer to get a radio ordered...and they (Uconnect) ware paying for it! I mean come on why was the dealer refusing work they are to be paid for...lol?

I know we all like to come to forums to complain, not calling anyone out I do it too. But I also think the best use of these is to get issues resolved. Here's what I would suggest. Reach out to ram cares, who will then forward you on to Uconnect. They have been awesome, and the follow up is top notch. Oh and my issue I have been pulling my hair out over....radio was ordered yesterday. I will update when it gets installed.
Hello I am having the same issues with my 2020 laramie 2500. Did the new stereo work for yours? I contacted ram cares today and waiting to hear back because my dealership is giving me the same crap that yours did also.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I am having the same issues with my 2020 laramie 2500. Did the new stereo work for yours? I contacted ram cares today and waiting to hear back because my dealership is giving me the same crap that yours did also.
I had the radio replaced and it went downhill from there. Radio (well really computer with how much tech are in these things) 2 and 3 were a complete disaster. They kept freezing and pixielating. I am now on my 4th radio and it seems to be fine. Good luck, keep pushing and take a video on your cell phone when it happens. I showed the service director my videos on my phone every time and he was like this is BS let's get this fixed. I switched dealers and they were awesome to work with (Prestige CJDR in Las Vegas).

SwitcherLP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello I think I may be having the same issue with my 2022 Longhorn 2500 with 12” screen has 1k miles. Every time I go under an overpass system seems to unconnect, sometimes it comes back other times screen stays dark yet I can hear music. Uconnect is at Release 1 Version 31 Mod 6.
another issue I see is for no apparent reason when I am in ‘media’ mode system will switch over to ‘home’ screen for no reason.
This software battle between ‘master/***** software’ was evident in my 2018 Longhorn 3500, it did not matter if I had AM/FM, or Sirius XM on once Apple got connected it was the master software. It appears that problem is fixed in 2022 by letting the owner deciding which media has control, but something like going in a tunnel or under a bridge and the system recycles , that battle of who had/has control takes place and get confused.
I’ve written enough code to know that prioritizing their software to always be the master is what drives marketing. So Dodge will come back and say problem is between Uconnect/Apple/Sirius NOT US
My 2022 Laramie is also freezing, but is on Android Auto, the music note that was playing sticks, like there is a ground loop in audio equipment, and after about 10-15 seconds the screen crashes and reboots. This has happened twice with my phone, both times at night when the weather was mild. Between 2000 and 3000 miles. I have it scheduled for my dealership to look at it, but it is difficult to replicate and I doubt anything will happen if I do bring it in.

Mikeyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where are all you 5th Gen 12" UAX Owners at?
Just curious if you all have the same blank info on the SDARS page when it faults out and that you have the same symptoms.

M² Mods.
Sir I guess I have that radio it’s a big screen. Mine is a 2022 2500. Had it since august got 4000 miles on it. If it’s mess up I don’t know it. I am concerned tho

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day all,
New to the site.
New to me 1500 2020 Laramie with the 12 Alpine radio.
I have had the truck less than a week, approx 28k on the clock - out of warranty due to time.
My wife reports that the radio sits at starting up, with no XM, no FM, no Bluetooth, no direct connection, no phone (I can hear them in the truck, but they can not hear me and of course no AM.

So has there been a solution to this problem(s)? I understand the thread is old, but I need some help and information on what has worked for you to get a working radio.

BlueHemi1500

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn