5th Gen have Hemi Tick, Scored Cam Shafts, Failed Lifters or Header Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Had a 2014 5.7 hemi that had failed lifters and had to replace top end, Under warratny but still. Sold that ruck with 164K year or so ago casue I coudl not get in it with my bad hips. Got new hips and feeling Froggy.

Thinking about getting a new 2022 or 2023. Was looking at Fords, due to my 2014 Ram experience but visited local Ram dealers site, saw a pretty 1500 and , like the Idiot Fan Boy that I am, am now seriously looking at Ram 1500.

My 2014 had a shimmy from mile ONE, failed lifters and other gremlins. Was just wondering if they fixed the poor lubrication issue of the Hemi 5.7 and ended tat horrible tick, failed lifters and scored cam shaft problem. Then there were all teh header tick issues from using cheap bolts. Replaced the bolts on my 2014 early so never had the issue n that truck but if the issue is still there, will have the dealer replace the better grade bolts that I buy.

So, any input would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The broken manifolds and/or bolts is still a problem on 5th gens. This can be fixed by machining the manifolds flat, or replacing with shorty headers.

There are multiple ticks associcated with the hemi, the one due to lifter bleed down (let it sit too long) is still there. The one where there is lifter and/or cam damage is also still there, but reduced a fair amount. FCA reworked the lifters around 2016-ish and I'm pretty sure the numbers of problems have dropped.

I'm not paranoid that it's going to happen to me, but I do whatever I can to avoid the problem including frequent oil changes with very high quality oil (and filter) discussed in detail here on this forum by the oil gurus. It appears that Redline 0/5w-30 is a great choice at reducing the tick. I'm currently testing HPL oil and pretty happy with it after the first 2 weeks of use.

The thing with lifter tick is that it doesn't leave you with a dead truck overnight. If you get the tick, you have lots of time to either get it documented/fixed under warranty, or just trade it off. I like the rest of the truck so much that it's worth it to me so far to deal with this potential problem. Though I may not have made the purchase had I known about it back then, hard to say, I'm not going to lose thousands of dollars on the instant depreciation by just throwing it away before the problem even shows up.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
The broken manifolds and/or bolts is still a problem on 5th gens. This can be fixed by machining the manifolds flat, or replacing with shorty headers.

There are multiple ticks associcated with the hemi, the one due to lifter bleed down (let it sit too long) is still there. The one where there is lifter and/or cam damage is also still there, but reduced a fair amount. FCA reworked the lifters around 2016-ish and I'm pretty sure the numbers of problems have dropped.

I'm not paranoid that it's going to happen to me, but I do whatever I can to avoid the problem including frequent oil changes with very high quality oil (and filter) discussed in detail here on this forum by the oil gurus. It appears that Redline 0/5w-30 is a great choice at reducing the tick. I'm currently testing HPL oil and pretty happy with it after the first 2 weeks of use.

The thing with lifter tick is that it doesn't leave you with a dead truck overnight. If you get the tick, you have lots of time to either get it documented/fixed under warranty, or just trade it off. I like the rest of the truck so much that it's worth it to me so far to deal with this potential problem. Though I may not have made the purchase had I known about it back then, hard to say, I'm not going to lose thousands of dollars on the instant depreciation by just throwing it away before the problem even shows up.
Thanks. When my failed lifter,s worn camshaft got fixed, under warranty, pretty sure just parts was over 3K. I know why the lifters fail, just hoped they had fixed the issue with the newer 5th Gen.

Thanks Again

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think they made several revisions on the lifters but I don’t know when the last one was. My son has a 19’ Charger with the 6.4 and other than the exhaust rumble you can’t hear it running. He uses the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 and the MO-899 changed every 4000 miles. His wife drives it to work during the week using the MDS and he blows it out on the weekends. Says it is the best vehicle he has ever owned.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Can’t believe we still have broken manifolds/bolts in 2022… what a joke.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look, the only thing you can do to prevent the problem or divert the problem is get on a lubrication strategy, with Redline 5w30 full synthetic w/a royal purple 20-820 or 20-500 or a Fram XG2 ultra synthetic oil filter, and watch your idle hours the 5th gen haven't had allot of broken bolts like in the past they have straightened the exhaust manifold around the bolt locations, and put different bolts on it, but there have been reports some manifolds are cracking in some locations, these are great trucks and every manufacture has their problems, GM, major engine problems, FERD, turbo and 10 speed joint venture with GM, and oil consumption of their 5.0 plasma sprayed in cylinder sleeve debacle, just put an extra qt of oil in it and call it good.
and again, welcome back Sir!!!