6.4 vs new chevy 6.6 gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The biggest problem with the 6.6L is that they stuck it in a fugly Chevy!
It would have to make TRX power before I'd even consider it...

I don't see the problem with the looks at all. It's great in person. It's bold, rugged, and in your face, the way a HD truck should be. There is always the GMC version which seems to have broader appeal.

I just hate the way GM plays games with their configurations, it's beyond me why they think offering a 6 speed is in any way attractive or competitive when their biggest rival is doing 10 gears across the board.

This was the biggest reason I chose a Ram 1500 over the Chevy 1500. They wouldn't let me get a 6.2 and a 10 speed without paying for much more trim/truck than I wanted.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't see the problem with the looks at all. It's great in person. It's bold, rugged, and in your face, the way a HD truck should be. There is always the GMC version which seems to have broader appeal.

I just hate the way GM plays games with their configurations, it's beyond me why they think offering a 6 speed is in any way attractive or competitive when their biggest rival is doing 10 gears across the board.

This was the biggest reason I chose a Ram 1500 over the Chevy 1500. They wouldn't let me get a 6.2 and a 10 speed without paying for much more trim/truck than I wanted.
I kinda like the look of the new chevy but i agree with thier trim configurations being crazy. They do have the half ton trailboss custom that you can get the 6.2l and 10 speed for around 45k i believe. That is definitely on my list as i don't really need a 3/4 ton truck. I just dont like all the gadgets they put on half tons just to squeeze every drop of mpg out of them. Too much to go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
7.3 L furd 430 horses @ 5500
475 torque @ 4000

My 21 year old 8.0l Magnum
310 horses @ 4100
450 torque @ 2400

Still not blown away.

I see your point (imagine the v10 with a 10 speed transmission!), but how much do emissions and MPG play a role in all this? My guess is that Ford (and probably GM as well) is holding a lot back in reserve for future updates.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well...if you figure the limiting factor to the V10 was the transmission...the V10 left alot on the table.

And emissions is what ended the Viper V10.

But...the V10 Magnum could easily do 500 and 500...well under the emissions ending ratings for the Viper at 645 and 600.

I love my 392 Hemi...but that 8.0l V10 churns like a Cummins and has a distinct sound that the HEMI JUST doesn't satisfy.

I bet furd did let some room on paper.

But believe me, RAM has an engine ready and waiting to reclaim the king of the Hill.

Rumors had it being a 426 Hemi...that isn't happening at the moment.

A 440 Cu in with 525 horse and 575 torque was rumored when the 6.4l BGE came out.

Notice...the HeavyDuty does not have a upgrade gas engine right now.

Believe that is by design. The Diesel wars are about done. You really can not make these trucks use anymore engine than what they have.

But the Gas wars...they are just starting and it will be fun to see what the big 3 do...except in California...they will be outlawed there lol

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree the diesel wars are over, regulations and emissions have made them too expensive and unreliable. I have read several rumors of gm bringing back the 8 liter gas engine to compete with fords 7.3 and would love to see dodge bring back the v10

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
GMs 6.6 looks like a decent engine but the 6 speed they use is pretty doggy, maybe a little better then the 66RFE but no comparison to the 8HP75.

For what it’s worth a 6 speed auto can be great. The TorqShift G in the F250 with the 6.2 is really good. Gearing and programming is spot on for a gas V8.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Were I to get a GM model it would have to be the GMC.
Much less revolting.
By comparison, my cousin is getting a Silverado Trailboss and I think that's the nicest looking Chevy truck ever made...

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I think all of the Big 3 are going to be played out as far as CID/HP/Trq in their big gas motors eventually. They'll hit their max numbers and then emissions/regulations will get bumped up again and they will be forced to back off.

Bobby Lee Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Ive have Silverado's for years, drove a Ram and its a far better truck. Traded a High Country for a Limited. Main reason I looked at a Ram is my A/c went out in my Chevrolet right when warranty expired and cost $1200 . It was a known defect so they gave me a $100 voucher, which i trashed. Had a Yukon and Escalade with Ac problems.

Steven Ray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blow right by the Chevys on the interstate with cruise control set a 75 pulling a 28ft TT up hill or down. I got the 2019 2500hd sport with 6.4 eng and 8 sp trans. Going to get a ticket someday the way it accelerates from a stop light with no load your doing 60 in a 40 before you know it.

It heard bad news on Fords new transmission. truck gets really squirrely going down hill with a load.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I really wanted to like the new GM 2500 gasser, but reviews are quite mixed. I think the power/torque advantage goes to the Ram due to the higher gearing available, I just can't see myself buying a 6 speed gas engine at this point, especially considering the elephant in the room (Ford 7.3 with 10 speed). They need to put the 10 speed in all GM 25/3500's.

I have a 18 3/4 ton with 6.4 with 6 speed and 3.73 and use it to haul a 2500 lb truck camper and all seems fine. I have seen many negative comments about this combination. Is it more about towing than hauling??

Fbnmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a Ram forum the answer is get y he ram. On a Chevy forum the answer is get the Chevy. It's your money get the one you like best.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 18 3/4 ton with 6.4 with 6 speed and 3.73 and use it to haul a 2500 lb truck camper and all seems fine. I have seen many negative comments about this combination. Is it more about towing than hauling??

I don't know anything about this to be honest; just that knowing there is now an 6.4/8 speed combo out there (and 10 if you're fine switching brands), I couldn't see myself settling for something that is worse than 8, at this point. If you already own the truck and are happy with it, absolutely no need to worry about it.

On a Ram forum the answer is get y he ram. On a Chevy forum the answer is get the Chevy. It's your money get the one you like best.
Close: You go to a Ram forum to find advantages of a Ram, and disadvantages of the Chevy. You go to the Chevy forum to find advantages of the Chevy and disadvantages of the Ram ;)

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
As a previous Chevy owner, switched to RAM, I bet you'd have no trouble guessing my 2 cents on this :)

Yea, the Ram is SO MUCH more comfortable than Chevy ever was. Chevy still seems more "athletic" to me, and sporty. But only by a little bit. The Ram I can drive all day long. The Chevy I'd have to make plenty of pit stops. I hope that helps.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have one cousin who is a diehard Ford fan and another who is a diehard Chevy fan...
(I'm the only one with any sense)
Guess who's truck we take when we road trip?
Let me guess.... the Tundra? ;)

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Who want to sell you a truck today?
It few dollars more for flavor one buy it,
I think it hard to good worry any 3/4 ton gas truck, all they are great truck,
Ram, GM, Gmc, Ford,
Talk to all of them an let each dealer know you look an talk to all,
Good luck. Keep cool , not sign anything you not sure,