6.4L Hemi Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zcg4755

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So I'm one of those guys that likes hearing the hum of the engine. With that said, I recently went out and purchased a Spintech 9000 to replace my factory muffler. Had the muffler installed, two tailpipes installed, the factory resonator removed, and it's still quiet!

This is now my 3rd 4th gen Ram (the two previous being 1/2 ton trucks), and this one is by far the quietest I have ever owned. I expected the 6.4L to have a nice throaty sound. Now don't get me wrong, it's certainly louder than the stock setup, but it's not loud. If anything, it's just a bit deeper sounding.

To my knowledge, these trucks come with one resonator from the factory. It looks to me as though there are two cats prior to the muffler heading into the manifolds. Do these things really absorb that much sound? I mean they're large, but dang. Just a little disappointed here. Anyone else have this experience? I realize many of you prefer a drone-free exhaust. I may look into purchasing some performance cats unless anyone has another suggestion (PA requires that the cats remain intact). Thanks!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The trucks are very restricted by a mangled Y pipe and they aren't designed from the factory to have any kind of loud sounding or well breathing exhaust. They definitely went for quiet simple and cheap lol. My 1500 with just a Magnaflow Cat Back always sounded better than my 6.4 2500 does. Dual exhaust and big rounded tips make a big difference in sound quality. You could do headers/cats and a custom dual set up and probably get some real sound out of it. Personally I just wouldn't do all that work for it. The muffler change out is enough of a "wake up" of sound for me.

In comparison my 6.4 Charger with the valves forced open you can hear at WOT a mile away even with the factory mufflers/reso's.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I put on a Magnaflow muffler and deleted the resonator on my 6.4L truck. It sounded a LOT better.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I put on a Magnaflow muffler and deleted the resonator on my 6.4L truck. It sounded a LOT better.

Nice. I just swapped out that 70 pound brick of a muffler that came with it for a Mufflex and it instantly sounded like a different truck. Definitely not like a hot rod, but gave it enough rumble and attitude for me to live with.

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know that sound level is really suggestive but I really like the muffler I put on my 6.4. I did a muffler swap with a larger tip and kept the factory resonator. I don't have any drone on the highway or in MDS mode and I like the noise level. I think that its pretty loud. The muffler brand is called "Paradox". Its a local guy from where I'm from that has a patent on the design. It basically has a tuning fork inside the muffler to eliminate drone. I posted the link below. Forgive my ignorance but I have a video of it on my phone and on my Google drive but the only way to post it here is to upload to Youtube correct?
http://teamparadox.com/shop/

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id like some sound clips/reviews of that solo muffler...all I’m finding are clips of the delete which wouldn’t be ideal on my work truck that ties heavy/often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing at the moment, sorry

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put a Magna Flow cat back on my '17 2500 CCLB. It's still a single exhaust, but I opted for the dual outlet. It has it's own resonator. Muffler is much smaller and lighter. It's 4" all the way with 5 " dual tips. I'll try to do a short video tomorrow. I also have a K&N CAI so, you'll hear some of that as well. Not too loud but not stock by any means. When I installed it, I ran the truck with nothing past the Y pipe and it still wasn't loud.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
RRNJ, does that setup run the 22" Magnaflow? I'd be interested to see what you think if you tow with it.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I think so, but I'll have to measure it. Didn't really think much about it 'cause it was a complete kit.
The only thing I've towed is an enclosed 6'x12' U-Haul double axle trailer that was way overloaded both times. Trucks 8' bed was full as well as front & back seats.
Made 1 trip from NJ to VA and back.
2nd trip was NJ to VA to TN then back to NJ empty.
There's a narrow RPM range just above idle to about 1500-1600 where it kinda drones but once you hit 2k it is quiet. These trucks like to run at 2000-2500 RPMs.
I shift into "manual" mode and run with Tow/Haul mode on. The only time I see 6th gear is when it was empty and I was running 75 mph. T/H mode off will allow upshift into 6th. Thats about 2200-2400 RPMs at 75. I like to hear my truck anyway. This is all with 4.10 gears. Yours may be different.
I'm actually contemplating a muffler delete pipe once I get moved to TN. Wasn't able to record video today. I' try tomorrow and also measure the muffler. Hope this helps. Ed.
RRNJ, does that setup run the 22" Magnaflow? I'd be interested to see what you think if you tow with it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Nice looking exhaust RR. I like it!

Good looking push bar too!

Rmcameron89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Nice. I just swapped out that 70 pound brick of a muffler that came with it for a Mufflex and it instantly sounded like a different truck. Definitely not like a hot rod, but gave it enough rumble and attitude for me to live with.
How loud is it? Do you tow with it at all is there bad drone?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
How loud is it? Do you tow with it at all is there bad drone?

It definitely changed the tone of the exhaust to a much deeper sound. It is much louder on cold starts (especially in the winter) and at WOT, but as soon as it idles down it is quieter again. At idle it has a mellow rumble. I still wouldn't call it "loud" per se. You just know now that it has a big V8.

I don't tow long distances but I do take long trips (800+ miles one way) with the truck a few times a year. The exhaust is definitely more noticeably on the highway. You can tell a slight drone at certain RPMs, but it is not bad at all. The wife never even said anything about it. A little music or even talk radio easily cancels it out. I only tow with it rarely and it will be light stuff. What I've towed hasn't seemed to have any real effect at all on the drive train or sound worth mentioning.

Exhaust sound preference varies. Some like it very loud, others like just a little. I lean toward the louder is better side, but for the Ram I just wanted to keep the truck as simple and stock as possible. The way it sounds now is exactly how I wished it would come from the factory. I would say watch some Youtube videos of exhausts. They don't give you the same effect as in person but it's better than nothing.

Rmcameron89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It definitely changed the tone of the exhaust to a much deeper sound. It is much louder on cold starts (especially in the winter) and at WOT, but as soon as it idles down it is quieter again. At idle it has a mellow rumble. I still wouldn't call it "loud" per se. You just know now that it has a big V8.

I don't tow long distances but I do take long trips (800+ miles one way) with the truck a few times a year. The exhaust is definitely more noticeably on the highway. You can tell a slight drone at certain RPMs, but it is not bad at all. The wife never even said anything about it. A little music or even talk radio easily cancels it out. I only tow with it rarely and it will be light stuff. What I've towed hasn't seemed to have any real effect at all on the drive train or sound worth mentioning.

Exhaust sound preference varies. Some like it very loud, others like just a little. I lean toward the louder is better side, but for the Ram I just wanted to keep the truck as simple and stock as possible. The way it sounds now is exactly how I wished it would come from the factory. I would say watch some Youtube videos of exhausts. They don't give you the same effect as in person but it's better than nothing.

Thank you that is very helpful. Stock it almost sounds worse then a 4 cylinder Tacoma. I had a tundra with dual exhaust out the back and I got used to having the sound. With this new dodge there’s nothing there... yet but I don’t want to over due it. Trying to decide between the bolt on Mufflex with magnaflow muffler or buying a muffler and having a shop fit it to the truck.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I've used the Mufflex set up on my 1500 before and liked it a lot