6 months old and rear shock blew out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondrew55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Got my truck last July and love it. 2500 Laramie with Cumins Diesel. Purchased to haul my RV around. I really do not abuse it and have hardly ever hauled anything of significant weight except a pallet of pine bark chips a few months ago. I was driving home from Virginia to Orlando the other day and I noticed the truck seemed to be bouncing a lot more than usual. I was not towing, nothing in the bed. Just me for cargo. Got home late and went to bed. Next day I notices a tiny puddle under near the rear riverside wheel. Put my finger in it and it was definitely oil of some sort. looked up and saw oil all over the bottom of the shock. My son works at a dealership and I told him about it and he said no problem, he'd order the part and get it fixed in a couple of days. Today he tells me the part is on back order and will not be in for at least 2 weeks, possibly longer. Everything is on back order and it's driving repair people nuts. I need my truck sooner than that so I figure I'll just replace the shock myself. Even if it's covered under warranty I can't not be able to haul my RV for that amount of time.

My question: Oreilly has Monroe shocks for about $65. They also have Rancho and Bilsteins for more $. I don't off road or anything fancy. No lift to the truck. Recommendations on which shock to go with? Also, I assume I should replace both rear shocks and not have 2 different ones on the left and right side. Does that make sense?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your spending money I would go bilstein 4600s. I am getting my oem shock on my 3500 replaced Friday if they fit you can have them if you pay shipping lol.

OP
OP
J

jondrew55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Well, all they had were the Ranchos. I’ll see if they will reimburse me.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Well, all they had were the Ranchos. I’ll see if they will reimburse me.
Do you have an open case with the dealership yet for the warranty work? Sounds like you son just looked up the part. If not I wouldn’t touch it until you have an open case. Then ask them to put on the new shock until the OEM comes in.

That is, if you want it covered under warranty.

OP
OP
J

jondrew55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Do you have an open case with the dealership yet for the warranty work? Sounds like you son just looked up the part. If not I wouldn’t touch it until you have an open case. Then ask them to put on the new shock until the OEM comes in.

That is, if you want it covered under warranty.
Yea, he opened a case. He said to keep the receipt. I'm going to put them on. Rears are not that big a deal. I

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is a $70K+ truck. Don't go cheap on shocks. Get the Bilsteins. They will improve the handling when you load it up with the RV.

calkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 Cummins Laramie 4x4, 2015 2500 Cummins SLT 4x4
Engine
I put Bilstein 5100 on any new truck I buy within 20k to 30k miles. If you're already having issues make the dealer replace the bad ones under warranty then swap them out after 36k.
As said above, don't go cheap.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I would try and get it covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. It is 3yrs or 36k miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat