6 speed transimssion needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I have a 2013 5.7 1500 sport Ram 6 speed transmission. 70K. I have never been happy with the way it shifts, it's as if it is in a race to get into 6th gear, tow/haul mode isn't much better. I can be driving 45mph and turn on a road that goes uphill, after the turn and going up hill I'm doing 20mph and I'm in 4th gear. Can I get the tranny tuned, if so what kind of a shop would do something like this and roughly what would I expect to pay? Thanks

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HP Tuner and Flyin' Ryan Tune

I also uploaded the trans files here
But even after all of that its still a hot pile of garbage/. The real answer is the SGA 8 speed swap.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You need a rebuilt valve body. Look for Sonnax Valve Bodies on Rock Auto or Summit Racing. Availability comes and goes, sign up for wait list if they're out.

These are straight forward to swap, but you will need to perform a PCM re-learn. Members have established this for sure. Then you'll love it. It's what the RFE should have been. The gear train is fine (exception: weak OD gear), all the had to do was not cheap out on the valve body - warps, leaks, etc.

OP
OP
lazer

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
The transmission is fine and it's been quick on the shift since new and on has 70k. I just want it to wind out a little more between shifts. When I take off from a light it's in 6th before I know it. Maybe that's just the way it has to bee. I am taking it in to get the trans fluid changed this week.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The transmission is fine and it's been quick on the shift since new and on has 70k. I just want it to wind out a little more between shifts. When I take off from a light it's in 6th before I know it. Maybe that's just the way it has to bee. I am taking it in to get the trans fluid changed this week.

Use the tow setting.

OP
OP
lazer

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
Use the tow setting.
It helps a little, but can't the trans be programed **** at different PRM. It seems like I have to down shift by goosing the gas pedal quite often.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It helps a little, but can't the trans be programed **** at different PRM. It seems like I have to down shift by goosing the gas pedal quite often.
No. Get an HP Tuner.