66RFE Slippage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 HD tradesman with a Hemi, trans slipped the other day and kicked into neutral in 4th gear. I can still drive it in 1-3 and tried jumping from 3 straight to 5 and it kept driving. I was only going about 35 mph when I switched it. Thought maybe the overdrive clutch plates? But I figured I would have lost 4,5,6 all at once. Fluid is fine and only code is P0735 (Gear 4 incorrect ratio). Before I spend 3k getting the trans rebuilt I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Every guy same position, do I change the valve body and solenoid knowing if I rebuild I will get no credit for it or not? What shape is the fluid in, still some shade of pink? Sounds like valve body issue and if never cracked open and a 2500, you may opt for solenoid, metal thread upgrade synthetic filters oem sump filter synthetic canister filter. Just get a valve body or buy a 400 dollar plate to ensure it will never leak. Lots to consider with a plate, you may have to sand flat hyper clean install check balls yada yada, when just buying a nice valve body might be the way to go, you may need a quick learn on it, find out where you can get one. If it were me and fluid wasnt burned or smelled burned, I'd probably get a valve body and solenoid with those upgrades, maybe not plate.

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The fluid is still pink. I’ll try the valve body and solenoid first!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update valve body was definitely broken. Two bolts came out of the end of the plate and it was bent. (Picture) put everything back together with new solenoid and filter , but when I went to start it my dash says it’s in reverse but the gear shift is correct I can drop it down to what I know is reverse, neutral, and drive. All the way back up and it says reverse? Any ideas?93AAB393-9828-435B-A4F2-7AA343A5DAA6.jpeg

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It skips over neutral when shifting through gears with the lever

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check to make sure the shift linkage was mated up correctly with the valve body when you put it back in. Kinda looks like a rooster tail on the top of the valve body. That has to go in the right spot to match up with the gear shifter on the column.

Unfortunately that means you're gonna have to remove the valve body again...

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would cause the dash to read wrong? It still feels correct when shifting it. When the lever is in position that should be neutral, I can push the truck. Even though dash says it’s in reverse.

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m sure you’re right. I just feel really dumb also wish these had a drain plug. Sucks losing 7 or so quarts of ATF all
Over the ground.

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
you can get a hand vacuum pump like a brake bleeder tool and suck the fluid out of the dip stick tube. takes a while but saves a big mess!

OP
OP
W

wolfington17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took it all apart, put it all back together. Same issue. Disconnected battery and unplugged solenoid. Truck fired up. Test drive it through all the gears, ran fine. Parked it, shut it off, went to turn it on. Shifter shows reverse again when it’s in park.