66RFE Trans Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey All,

This is rather lengthy and I do apologize but I thank those who take the time to give it a read. I have a couple questions at the end, input on one or all or others not asked is most welcome.

Oct 27th, 2018: with 61,600 miles on the clock my trans had dropped into Safety Mode during a 70mph, 6th gear, WOT downshift that occurred simultaneously as the truck experienced a rough road surface; several rather sharp but not too deep surface irregularities with associated vibration. The truck downshifted to 5th gear and did not shift back into 6th the rest of the drive. Soon after, she downed into 4th and stayed there until I got home.
Oct 29th, - I took my truck into the Col Springs dealership service dept for two items; tailgate recall and trans in safety mode. During this 28 mi drop off to the dealership the truck and trans drove fine, no safety mode, no codes, no high temps.
After 1hr inspection, Service Advisor “J” calls to tell me my trans is 'burnt', needs to be replaced and my MaxCare warranty will not cover the repair. Reason being “spin on transmission filter was loose causing the transmission to fail”. He said he'd call me back with a cost.
Six hours later J called me with a $5,700 cost for a new full-assembly w/ torque converter including install. Turn-time 4 days.
Oh yes, it would come with a warranty, he told me.

Transmission History:
In July 2018, after several instances of delayed engagement I did a transmission fluid and filter change (F&F). My first, but I made every effort to be meticulous! I came with a set of instructions (from posts here, and I'd do it again), I looked at everything five times, I wore gloves, all done in an indoor environment.
The F&F helped the trans but I stisssssll encountered delayed engagement, not nearly as high rpm reengagement but it was still happening, still ugly.
July 9th, I wanted the service crew to evaluate the trans and help determine a root cause and solution. The Colorado Spring Dodge service dept could not find anything wrong with the transmission during this July visit. This service visit is well documented, my description of the issue, what I had done in order to address the delayed engagement (F&F), and the fact they did nothing to address the delayed engagement.

Back to Oct 29th, I tried to present this timeline of events to my service advisor but he barely let me speak, told me the dept's mind was made up, the single reason this tranny failed was the spin on filter being too loose.
Ok, I can accept the fact that I did not crank that filter down. I remember putting that filter on and I treated it like I treat my oil filter, 1 full turn after gasket contact, that’s all. In no way was I peeling a canister filter out my gearbox.
But if this filter was the only cause, then there should be a readily available torque spec for this filter so all the techs in the world who do this don't come up short on filter torque, did I miss it?
I don't know what kind of pressure we are talking about inside the trans but I for sure did not over-tighten the spin on filter, with that being said I’ll guarantee it was well seated and just as snug as the one I took off by hand. A well gripped filter, even a grunt but I removed the original by hand.
I only did the F&F because there was a problem. Delayed engagement. The trans seems to be on it’s way to failure well before I did the F&F. Engine rpms we're as high as 1500 to re engage.
They will not acknowledge the problem started before the F&F or their missed prognosis only 5K miles before failure.
I watch trans temp and I log, I have never seen a temp above 190F (only once at 190F) most often 169F to 171F.
I check the trans fluid at least once a week usually more. I checked the trans fluid during the safety mode incident on Oct 27th, I checked the level and I smelled it. Level was perfect with no detectable burnt smell, by me. Yet Service advisor claimed he could smell the burn 10ft away.
I asked for fluid sample and he said it was drained it into the waste container. I asked for the pan, gear assembly, anything with this burnt smell and they never produced anything.
The truck never threw a code during any episode, and only one trans code in 62,000 miles - "5th gear ratio is not correct" approximately 1000mi before failure. Thats it.
They never asked me what happened when it went into safety mode. There was an event, a WOT downshift from sixth gear. they didn’t even want to hear it. I’ve read its been known to cause a problem.
Never a high temp, never a code, no smell and fluid level perfect, and fluid visually perfect.
I believe the facts are documented, the only thing I don’t have is a fluid sample from Oct 27 where I say the fluid did not smell burned.
I have paid them and my truck is back home.

I don’t expect to gain anything by reliving this, I would like any input or experience that others have with something similar with their trans.

Is the dealership correct in their prognosis?

Is this type of prolonged failure possible without high temp indicators, burned fluid and no error codes displayed?

Are the pressures that high in the transmission that a firmly seated filter was not enough to maintain fluid flow?

Is there a torque spec for the spin on filter in the transmission?

The new trans came in at $5350, FYI

2016 RAM 2500 Puthie Wagon | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & MF | T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

Last edited:

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is since they didn't do the fluid and filter change, they can deny this claim stating it was error by the person / place that did it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess is since they didn't do the fluid and filter change, they can deny this claim stating it was error by the person / place that did it.

The only thing I would say to that is the service department checked the trans *after* that fluid change and didnt find the filter was loose (or didnt look, or didnt even really check the transmission)

Should they have found it then?

Im not sure if you could get the money back somehow, I wouldn't be happy with how this turned out either but I wouldn't have paid them either. Id pay them for diagnosis and a tow/flatbed back to my house, or to really torque them over, a different dealer.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything here. You serviced your own tranny they will find any way possible to screw you. “Which is wrong”. But......you have done a lot work to this truck including a tune. Did they see this tuner? I’m guesssing if they saw headers they may have dug and looked for a tune. Did you re-gear the truck according to your bio? Just seems like an awe full lot has been done to the truck that could very well lead them to void the warranty. It sucks to be in your position and I feel for ya. But after a certain amount of performance mods to a truck you kinda have to assume that warranty is toast. Now if I’m wrong and I’m not reading this right and you’re not running tuner and performance mods then I apologize. If you have to pay for a new tranny I wouldn’t go to dealer. It’s time for a updated tranny if I were you.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You aren't going to get anywhere with the dealer or FCA. Imho you, your best option is to have it towed to an independent trans shop and let them fix it. Should save you some dollars. Lots of fine print on the max care warranty.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you let them replace the trans will they cover it under the Maxcare in the future if that trans goes bad?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You aren't going to get anywhere with the dealer or FCA. Imho you, your best option is to have it towed to an independent trans shop and let them fix it. Should save you some dollars. Lots of fine print on the max care warranty.
I don't even think he’s dealing with the maxcare yet. Power drivetrain are 5/100k aren’t they? But yeah. I’d try and get a refund on maxcare if I had all those mods. That’s wasted money imo.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would try another dealer. This was caused by a loose spin on filter? Please.. How does that even make sense. There was no fluid loss, correct?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Another dealership ***** story, I have a few myself. Can't believe this stuff happens as much as it does. The Maxcare warranty has very specific language related to modifications, but you doing your own service should not be held against you. This was just another crap excuse to screw over another loyal customer. I have the Maxcare warranty and do all my own maintenance, but now I'll probably let the dealership do the tranny service. Since you already paid and got the truck back I'd chalk it up as lessened learned; never got back to the **** bag dealership. Local shop will do it for half the price you paid. Really is, since you have mods they have an endless amount of excuses to deny any claims. I don't think you could get any money back but I would at least ask; talk to the person that sold you the truck and see if you can get a refund on the money you paid for the warranty. Worth a shot!
Good luck with your new transmission.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they didn’t blame it on the filter , they would’ve blamed the headers. If they didn’t blame them, just look for next mod that’s obvious. And if that wasn’t enough. They would’ve looked harder.
That’s a well paid job to save a Corp millions.
5700$ trans I think you might have to squabble over even if you followed warranty to the letter

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The only thing I would say to that is the service department checked the trans *after* that fluid change and didnt find the filter was loose (or didnt look, or didnt even really check the transmission)

Should they have found it then?

Im not sure if you could get the money back somehow, I wouldn't be happy with how this turned out either but I wouldn't have paid them either. Id pay them for diagnosis and a tow/flatbed back to my house, or to really torque them over, a different dealer.

The dealership did nothing, they took the truck for one drive in the parking lot, the trans operated and they called it good. I would think a quality effort would include a series of check points, eg Pressures, Flow, Temperatures. The paperwork doesn't claim they even checked the fluid level. Delayed engagement is documented as a top indicator of trans failure, I am very disappointed they didn't do more and that I didn't push them for more. I really wanted to believe there assessment of 'looks good to us'.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything here. You serviced your own tranny they will find any way possible to screw you. “Which is wrong”. But......you have done a lot work to this truck including a tune. Did they see this tuner? I’m guesssing if they saw headers they may have dug and looked for a tune. Did you re-gear the truck according to your bio? Just seems like an awe full lot has been done to the truck that could very well lead them to void the warranty. It sucks to be in your position and I feel for ya. But after a certain amount of performance mods to a truck you kinda have to assume that warranty is toast. Now if I’m wrong and I’m not reading this right and you’re not running tuner and performance mods then I apologize. If you have to pay for a new tranny I wouldn’t go to dealer. It’s time for a updated tranny if I were you.

No smart ass-ness detect, lol. I have done a decent amount of work to my truck, all of it in an effort to correct her shortcomings. I baby it most of the time, with sporadic episodes of WOT. :) I take excellent care of it, plan on keeping it forever (or at least until fuel hits $6/g) and it is in near perfect condition. BUT I understand they don't know this, and can't possible warranty trucks that have been modified. I have had several vehicles, always wanted to make em mine or even fix what I didn't like, I never could but I can now. I probably should have been a little more patient with several of the mods because the mods were implemented between the July maintenance visit and the Oct trans failure. I guess in my head I had the initial trans problem had occurred and been reported before any performance mod was implemented and so then the warranty would still cover. Delusional thinking I know, I see that now.

But they really did a ****** job as a maintenance dept, and I feel like they chose to let the trans fail instead of proper diagnosis, maintenance and repair. I understand it's not an easy device to troubleshoot but they could've handled it so many different ways other than drive it once and call it cleared for service, at least thats what I think.

Anyway, you say time for an updated tranny, I didn't know if there were options available. I did ask the dealership if we could do any improvements to the new trans for improved shifting and such, they said nothing available from the dealer (Oct 2018) but are there aftermarket choices for trans upgrades on the 66RFE? Any suggestions on what and where?

thanks

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

I probably should have, being somewhat new to the area, I had no idea where to take it and the population here is really growing with an influx of people ranked as the 18th highest in the US. 18th may not seem that high until I try to find a reputable shop to do the difficult work. The ones I have encountered so far will never be a recommendation. if any one has recommendations for the Col Springs area, I would love to hear them. The MaxCare is on my drivetrain is probably not worth a whole lot today, but it gave me peace of mind when I bought the truck, and for that I appreciate it. No more complaining about it for me then, ya. lol

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Another dealership ***** story, I have a few myself. Can't believe this stuff happens as much as it does. The Maxcare warranty has very specific language related to modifications, but you doing your own service should not be held against you. This was just another crap excuse to screw over another loyal customer. I have the Maxcare warranty and do all my own maintenance, but now I'll probably let the dealership do the tranny service. Since you already paid and got the truck back I'd chalk it up as lessened learned; never got back to the **** bag dealership. Local shop will do it for half the price you paid. Really is, since you have mods they have an endless amount of excuses to deny any claims. I don't think you could get any money back but I would at least ask; talk to the person that sold you the truck and see if you can get a refund on the money you paid for the warranty. Worth a shot!
Good luck with your new transmission.

Agreed, and actually I asked them if they wanted to buy my MaxCare back because I've never used it. They may have actually pondered the idea but then we all got distracted and moved on. But I am going to follow up with that. thanks

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would try another dealer. This was caused by a loose spin on filter? Please.. How does that even make sense. There was no fluid loss, correct?
I totally agree, How does this even make sense? I made the title to this post about the MaxCare but I shouldn't have, because the rest is really about that right there, how does this make sense? No high temps, no error code, and no burned smell in the fluid yet I burned it up with a "loose" filter. Guaranteed it wasn't loose, may not have been to 75ftlbs but it sure as hell wasn't "loose". I think They are making that crap up. Delayed Engagement is beyond my skill set to troubleshoot but it was happening way sooner than any loose filter, and they chose to let the trans fail, I think, a conscious decision.

You are correct, there was no fluid loss, level was perfect since the fluid and filter change and probably 1/3 qt low (down from the max fill line on dipstick) before the change.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am going to edit the title of my post and remove the part about the MaxCare warranty. I did write that baby off when I started correcting her shortcomings. The performance mods were done after they gave the trans a clean bill of health in July, I should have realized it was not really a clean bill but more so apathy on their part. Big difference in sending the truck home cleared for service and sending the truck home not giving a crap. Both look the same from a distance, my fault for not pursuing the issue further, I did really want to believe that all was good.

At this point I am very interested in what I can do to improve the robustness of this trans to it can handle the next right thing; cam and lifters. I am not waiting for that failure to occur and eat up the rest of my engine.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If you let them replace the trans will they cover it under the Maxcare in the future if that trans goes bad?
Yes, they told me the trans came with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and it was also covered under my Maxcare Warranty.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't even think he’s dealing with the maxcare yet. Power drivetrain are 5/100k aren’t they? But yeah. I’d try and get a refund on maxcare if I had all those mods. That’s wasted money imo.
I believe my warranty before MaxCare was 5/60K, and the truck was at 61,500mi when trans failed. I think most are what you said and 5/100K. If they would give me even a partial refund on my Maxcare, I might do it. The truck is mod'd, the new trans came with a 3 yr unlimited mileage on its own and I aint wait'n for a lifter to knock down the cam, so I think that sums up RAM common failures, no need for the MaxCare. (I am probably going to pay to regret that comment)lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I believe my warranty before MaxCare was 5/60K, and the truck was at 61,500mi when trans failed. I think most are what you said and 5/100K. If they would give me even a partial refund on my Maxcare, I might do it. The truck is mod'd, the new trans came with a 3 yr unlimited mileage on its own and I aint wait'n for a lifter to knock down the cam, so I think that sums up RAM common failures, no need for the MaxCare. (I am probably going to pay to regret that comment)lol

If I am not mistaken, if you have never used the max care, the should probably rate a refund.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I totally agree, How does this even make sense? I made the title to this post about the MaxCare but I shouldn't have, because the rest is really about that right there, how does this make sense? No high temps, no error code, and no burned smell in the fluid yet I burned it up with a "loose" filter. Guaranteed it wasn't loose, may not have been to 75ftlbs but it sure as hell wasn't "loose". I think They are making that crap up. Delayed Engagement is beyond my skill set to troubleshoot but it was happening way sooner than any loose filter, and they chose to let the trans fail, I think, a conscious decision.

You are correct, there was no fluid loss, level was perfect since the fluid and filter change and probably 1/3 qt low (down from the max fill line on dipstick) before the change.
I bet my left nut that the tranny filter was not lose; they tried to pull this crap on me with my old 2013 5.7. Came to the stealership with rear end noise; 6 hours later they come in and tell me my gears are destroyed and my LSD had incinerated. Repair will be $2800 LOL... Went down the street to a local shop and it was the pinion bearing, $90 part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007