68 RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hi! I have a 2019 cummins tuned with ezylink, i got the tuner just to do the dpf and def delete, long story short, i lost 5th gear, i brought it in to the dealership and hes like oh ur in luck, you have a recall on the the valve body, that might be the issue! The oil was blacker then black and when he seen i had a programmer hes voiding my warranty. Anybody hade a similar issue and was able to get warranty? Thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi! I have a 2019 cummins tuned with ezylink, i got the tuner just to do the dpf and def delete, long story short, i lost 5th gear, i brought it in to the dealership and hes like oh ur in luck, you have a recall on the the valve body, that might be the issue! The oil was blacker then black and when he seen i had a programmer hes voiding my warranty. Anybody hade a similar issue and was able to get warranty? Thanks
You should read up in the Moss-Magnusson
You should read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and present your dealer with the information. Most likely they won't understand what it does. I'm a dealer mechanic and my own shop doesn't have a clue. I have kept plenty of 3/36 Basic Warranties intact along with Powertrain Warranties too.

Basically, the law states that the provider of the warranty cannot deny warranty coverage because you, the consumer, used or installed an aftermarket part. To deny coverage the dealer Is supposed to be able to prove that your aftermarket part is what caused the failure and if it did cause the failure then they can only deny coverage on the failed part.

If you do not put up a fight the dealer will have your warranty restricted in a heartbeat. It is way too easy to do. In most cases with me it only takes a phone call if I have to do it.

My best advice is to go get your truck. Speak with management in a hurry and find out what they have done so far. If they have not contacted their zone tech or warranty admin. for the business district then you may still be in luck. Get the truck and go to another shop. Advise the new shop that the truck is tuned and deleted and see if they will help you.

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
You recommend that i go to another dealership?

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
You should read up in the Moss-Magnusson

You should read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and present your dealer with the information. Most likely they won't understand what it does. I'm a dealer mechanic and my own shop doesn't have a clue. I have kept plenty of 3/36 Basic Warranties intact along with Powertrain Warranties too.

Basically, the law states that the provider of the warranty cannot deny warranty coverage because you, the consumer, used or installed an aftermarket part. To deny coverage the dealer Is supposed to be able to prove that your aftermarket part is what caused the failure and if it did cause the failure then they can only deny coverage on the failed part.

If you do not put up a fight the dealer will have your warranty restricted in a heartbeat. It is way too easy to do. In most cases with me it only takes a phone call if I have to do it.

My best advice is to go get your truck. Speak with management in a hurry and find out what they have done so far. If they have not contacted their zone tech or warranty admin. for the business district then you may still be in luck. Get the truck and go to another shop. Advise the new shop that the truck is tuned and deleted and see if they will help you.

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
The dealership dint do nothing! They want to sell me a new transmission. So there waiting on my reply. You think i should take the truck to another dealership and explain to them i have a programmer for whats deleted on the truck and tell them whats going on with the transmission, then if they give me the same story as the first dealership, then what ?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The dealership dint do nothing! They want to sell me a new transmission. So there waiting on my reply. You think i should take the truck to another dealership and explain to them i have a programmer for whats deleted on the truck and tell them whats going on with the transmission, then if they give me the same story as the first dealership, then what ?
Do you have a good relationship with the dealership that your truck is currently at? What I mean by relationship is do you have your vehicle serviced there regularly or do you only return for warranty repairs?

The reason I ask is because dealerships can be super a-holes to customers that only return for warranty repairs. It sucks but it happens. If you do not have a working relationship with them my next suggestion would be to find a new dealer to work with. If my customers are honest about their vehicles I don't give them a hard time. Techs want to be told up front what they are working with or they can sometimes get really pissy.

Question. What is the current mileage on the 2019? Are you outside of the 3/36 Basic warranty? Is there any Powertrain coverage?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You tuned it, you threw away the warranty end of story. It's a risk you take.

Everyone throws around Magnus-Moss but I have not seen one single person use it successfully to fight a case where they deleted/tuned. Looks like you are in Canada anyway so it doesn't apply to you

Going to another dealer won't work, you are most likely flagged in the system now.

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Do you have a good relationship with the dealership that your truck is currently at? What I mean by relationship is do you have your vehicle serviced there regularly or do you only return for warranty repairs?

The reason I ask is because dealerships can be super a-holes to customers that only return for warranty repairs. It sucks but it happens. If you do not have a working relationship with them my next suggestion would be to find a new dealer to work with. If my customers are honest about their vehicles I don't give them a hard time. Techs want to be told up front what they are working with or they can sometimes get really pissy.

Question. What is the current mileage on the 2019? Are you outside of the 3/36 Basic warranty? Is there any Powertrain coverage?

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Ok yes i do have a good relationship with them and i have bought 3 trucks there and my wife got 2 vehicles there too.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok yes i do have a good relationship with them and i have bought 3 trucks there and my wife got 2 vehicles there too.
Okay cool. Chrysler aka FCA aka Stellantis looks at customer history including vehicle purchases and service history before they restrict a warranty. I'd say you have a good chance of not having it happen to you.

I recommend you go to the dealership and speak with the service manager. If they are unavailable ask for the service director or the fixed operations director or the GM but start with service first. Be polite and respectful. Cordial but firm and direct. Ask for his help. I think you will be able to resolve the issue because they do not want a bad survey right now.

How many miles are on the truck currently?

OP
OP
M

Matt Bowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Okay cool. Chrysler aka FCA aka Stellantis looks at customer history including vehicle purchases and service history before they restrict a warranty. I'd say you have a good chance of not having it happen to you.

I recommend you go to the dealership and speak with the service manager. If they are unavailable ask for the service director or the fixed operations director or the GM but start with service first. Be polite and respectful. Cordial but firm and direct. Ask for his help. I think you will be able to resolve the issue because they do not want a bad survey right now.

How many miles are on the truck currently?
I only have 43,000kms on it

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I only have 43,000kms on it
Wow, okay. Normally I see customers running into issues like this when they are closer to the end of the warranty period. I'm sorry you are having to experience this type of dealership bullying. That is what I have always called it.

I still think you can resolve this matter with the service manager which is exactly what I tell my customers to do when they are in your shoes. For your peace of mind and a backup plan I would still go speak with another dealer and tell them the situation you are in. It's very likely they will accept the work just to take business away from a competitor.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
You tuned it, you threw away the warranty end of story. It's a risk you take.

Everyone throws around Magnus-Moss but I have not seen one single person use it successfully to fight a case where they deleted/tuned. Looks like you are in Canada anyway so it doesn't apply to you

Going to another dealer won't work, you are most likely flagged in the system now.

Always cracks me up when people knowingly alter their vehicles then cry when something goes wrong and the manufacturer (dealer) deny warranty service. Also cracks me up when so called "dealer mechanics" throw the Magnisun Moss act around, probably have never actually read it.
YOU ALTERED IT YOU OWN IT. Just like being in a china shop, you broke it you bought it. Some people never learn. If it was meant to be altered it would have come that way.