68RFE Shifting Early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rw2018Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am brand new to the group but have had my 2018 4th gen a few years now. I tried a search but could not find my exact issue. Anyway what I have going on is that sometimes the truck seems to grab hard into either 3rd or 4th gear I am really not sure which one it would be because I can't duplicate the problem on demand. It does not jolt that bad or anything it just seems like it shifted to a higher gear too early or the converter lock and shift happened at the same time. I have noticed this to happen mostly when things are not up to operating temperature and at lower speeds between 25 and 35 or so. An example was earlier today I left work for lunch it was 70 degrees outside so I only let it idle for maybe a minute. Once I turned at the light a few blocks away there was a car in front of me driving slow so I was under very light acceleration.
The truck shifted into another gear at a fairly low rpm and I felt a jolt from the shift that was not bad but more than normal. It seemed to start doing this after babying it around on icy roads for 3 or 4 days and it seems to do this under light acceleration and when not at operating temps. It may slightly do it at times during operating temps but not near as noticeable.

There is no indication that the trans is slipping but just wondering if someone has had any similar experience. Also wondering if I should take it to the dealer and have them either do a relearn on the trans or a system flash to see if it would clear up the issue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the same thing going on. Some times it hit so hard that the tires will screech. What I have found, using Torque that will show me the actual gear live, is that when I have the engine brake on it does not skip 3rd when it is decelerating. When I take the EB off, no issues because it hangs in 4th and skips 3rd.

The harshness is always sporadic, nut what I have found is that when the EB is on, I apply abit of brake pressure and it tames the 4th to 3rd transition.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I have the same thing but sounds like mine doesn't shift into higher gear quite as hard probably because I have the 6.4 Hemi. When I go to the grocery store I make a turn on to a street that is level then there's a short steep hill to climb. My tranny always falls into 3rd gear (guessing 3rd because the instrument panel doesn't show me what gear I'm in) when I'm only going maybe 10 mph. I just hit the gas pretty good to get the tranny to downshift. To avoid this I stay in the throttle on acceleration when I can. Obviously this is not always possible tho.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same thing but sounds like mine doesn't shift into higher gear quite as hard probably because I have the 6.4 Hemi. When I go to the grocery store I make a turn on to a street that is level then there's a short steep hill to climb. My tranny always falls into 3rd gear (guessing 3rd because the instrument panel doesn't show me what gear I'm in) when I'm only going maybe 10 mph. I just hit the gas pretty good to get the tranny to downshift. To avoid this I stay in the throttle on acceleration when I can. Obviously this is not always possible tho.
Selecting 6th gear with the gear selector will show what gear the trans is shifting through on the dash. Also will disable mds.

OP
OP
R

rw2018Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the same thing going on. Some times it hit so hard that the tires will screech. What I have found, using Torque that will show me the actual gear live, is that when I have the engine brake on it does not skip 3rd when it is decelerating. When I take the EB off, no issues because it hangs in 4th and skips 3rd.

The harshness is always sporadic, nut what I have found is that when the EB is on, I apply abit of brake pressure and it tames the 4th to 3rd transition.
I have found that to be true as well it definitely helps the truck downshift if you have the EB on. I run mine on auto most of the time. This other issue is really random and I am not in the habit of just counting shifts as I drive. I drive my truck fairly easy most of the time and hate the way it feels when it goes 2nd to 3rd then somewhere right in there the shift flare and toque converter lock happens but have been told that is just the way they behave. I think what is happening is that when some of those things are about to happen and I let off a bit because someone slowed down in front of me or some other reason to let off the throttle it either gets confused or goes ahead and shifts but at lower rpm.

OP
OP
R

rw2018Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had to train myself on that hell at times I felt like I need to stay in the throttle but also need to slow down for a turn or speed limit at the same time.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Selecting 6th gear with the gear selector will show what gear the trans is shifting through on the dash. Also will disable mds.
I tried that and actually do this every time I drive the truck to avoid the mds but my truck doesn't show what gear I'm in regardless. It constantly shows 6th gear when I hit the gear select button.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is the truck stock or tuned?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried that and actually do this every time I drive the truck to avoid the mds but my truck doesn't show what gear I'm in regardless. It constantly shows 6th gear when I hit the gear select button.
Yea thats odd for sure. My ‘16 shows what gear its in.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

My '17 shows the gears with 6th selected. I'm in the same generation as yours.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That display is the basic evic. That is what came in mine and he is right, it only shows the gear you put it in. I now have the premium evic in mine they will show a lot more info on them.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s the evic they put in the lower trim models like the tradesman

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ahhhhhhh maybe thats why then. Seems dumb they would change it to only displaying the gear selected when getting the lower model dash…figures.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Yeah mines a Lone Star package. Something they do for Texas area. It's basically a tradesman with power drivers seat, 8.4 Uconnect and remote start. Rest of the truck is a Tradesman.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At 60k and before on my 2016 5.7, I'd get light slips when cold from 2 to 3, with light acceleration. Ram refused to help until I finally got an error code, about clutches. Then a new tranny.

About 10k into the new tranny I suddenly started getting really HARD clunks on downshift with the pedal down. Clunks were so hard I'd check in the mirror to see if the rear fell onto the road.

Flashed the computer, now downshifts like butter.

OP
OP
R

rw2018Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ahhhhhhh maybe thats why then. Seems dumb they would change it to only displaying the gear selected when getting the lower model dash…figures.
I am not sure but I think I see what gear it is in but only when my display is on speedometer. I will try it and see but I know I have see it display it before. I keep mine on info all the time and there I know it just shows what gear I select.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
I am not sure but I think I see what gear it is in but only when my display is on speedometer. I will try it and see but I know I have see it display it before. I keep mine on info all the time and there I know it just shows what gear I select.
That's interesting I have not looked at that display. I'll check it out this afternoon.