8.0L V10 - worth rebuilding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
I have a 1999 2500 V10 - My father bought it new and it was passed between myself and him over the years. it has over 300K miles on it and is in need of a transmission rebuild. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil since the dealership stopped doing the "free" oil changes. It's been sitting unused for probably about 6 years now.

Other than the high mileage, the transmission, the cracked Dashboard, and the fading paint, this truck is in excellent shape. The front suspension and steering components have all been replaced with Moog components - Well I think I still need to install the idler and pitman arms - but the rest is installed, just needs to be aligned.

I was really looking into dumping a bunch of money into a transmission and engine rebuild to make it last another 20 years, but then I came across a few forum posts about parts becoming more and more scarce. Crankshaft position sensors are out of stock all across the country and the OEM part is discontinued. People are saying that the aftermarket ones that are available are hit or miss as far as working. So now I'm terrified to sink a bunch of money into this thing if I'm going to be stymied by something as stupid as a Crankshaft position sensor.

The only other option would be throwing in another engine in, like a more common V8 or a Cummins. From what I understand the Cummins would bolt right up to my transmission, where the V8 of that time would not.

What would you do in my shoes?

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Cummins would be nice I would think, as long as you dont end up with a 53 block, and it doesn’t break the bank to change over the fuel system
And such

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Yeah, the diesel conversion seems a bit much the more I think about it.

Is there still good support for the 360 V8?

I would happily invest money in an engine that is going to have parts, aftermarket or otherwise, to keep it running a long time from now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Well I decided it's probably worth it to move forward with restoring it to it's former glory.

Over my 4 day weekend I gingerly pulled the dash away from the firewall and removed the heating/cooling assembly so that I could replace the Evaporator coil that was condemned something like 10 years ago. I suppose next I'll put a cheap battery in it for now and get it drive-able enough to get to my mechanic to rebuild the transmission.

I think at the bare minimum I'd like to have the heads completely rebuilt.

But since The transmission will be coming out anyway.... What would be typical for a shop to pull the engine, too, and rebuild it? Just standard stuff, no over-boring unless the cylinder wear warranted it. I just want it to last another 300,000 miles.

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Threw a battery in today - started right up and the radiator immediately began leaking profusely at the header.

Found a radiator in-stock at my local advanced Auto parts, stuffed it in the trunk, turned the key and..... No fuel.

Fuel pump died in the Town Car.

Inconceivable!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I could see rebuilding it if you had a real sentimental attachment to it, but in a real dollars and cents assessment I'd say its probably a better idea finding another truck if its at the point of needing engine and trans. If you really like the truck and you're going to run it until the new drivetrain wears out I guess you would get your moneys worth in the end, but unless you're doing most of the work yourself you probably wont save much vs driving something newer with more power, better mpg and a smoother ride. I do really like the 2nd gen look when they're in good shape.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Show us a pic of it ;)

If it is nice over all, I would rebuild the engine and get a rebuild tranny!

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
I figure a comparable truck , new, even without the nicer trim this truck had (Laramie SLT) would be $35K and up.

So I am pretty sure I can have this thing rebuilt several times over and still have less invested in it than a new truck, and it would likely prove more reliable than the newer, more complicated stuff that's out today.

Used trucks that are worth a damn retain their value quite well, and I still wouldn't know the history on them - this is, for all intents and purposes, a single-owner truck with competent hands repairing whatever it needed for the past 19 years.

7e19b5f1145a871236238bc00846fc6b.jpg49e14c75ca65475743c7e9eaa2de27c8.jpg

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I would start with the trans, and all the fluids, change the CPS with an aftermarket one,$40, and go from there. looks to be in good shape, and you have all its history.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I would keep it for life :)

I have an old Merc that I use as an extra car when the RAM is broken or in the paintshop or whatever. I used it a bit 16-17 years ago and then Dad whanted it so he used it for a bit before he got to old for drivning (scrubmarks on the side is his doing :D )

There is no value in it and it starts every time even after sitting for years, so it will bee with me for as long as he or me live :)

IMG_0758.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Replaced the radiator - she's water-tight now. Air conditioning cooling mode works but the heat/cool temperature dial does nothing when I move it to heating. I wonder if I forgot to connect the blend door motor harness or something.

Found and ordered a camshaft position sensor on eBay - has the OEM part number stamped on it so I am hoping it's OEM. I don't need one at the moment but I want to be prepared when that day comes and there aren't any new ones left on the market.

I can't seem to find an OEM crankshaft position sensor at the moment, but I did find an American company that makes aftermarket ones - has anybody tried stuff from "Walker Products"?

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Got a quote back from my trusted mechanic - it would be about $9K to completely rebuild the engine and transmission - or actually he said "replace" the transmission. When I originally spoke with him he stated he rebuilt the transmissions himself, now its sounding like he'd be tossing in a remanufactured one.

My gut tells me that it would be better to have a known competent person rebuild the transmission with a few upgraded things like the governor solenoid and pressure transducer (the OEM ones aren't the best). It comes with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty on it (sounds like a Jasper transmission), but that's only going to cover the parts - not labor, right? The warranty means nothing if I'm going to have to take it in for repairs due to a sub-par rebuild.

What's the consensus? Good idea?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Why are you rebuilding the engine? Also a remanufactured tran 47re 2wd, is about $2200.
Maybe find a good tranny shop in your area, with good recomendations/reputation. One step at a time would be my approach, if its not a daily driver or if you have unlimited funds.

OP
OP
S

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Why are you rebuilding the engine? Also a remanufactured tran 47re 2wd, is about $2200.
Maybe find a good tranny shop in your area, with good recomendations/reputation. One step at a time would be my approach, if its not a daily driver or if you have unlimited funds.
The engine has 340,000 miles on it. The price quoted for the transmission was $2400 plus some labor to R&R.

If I rebuild the engine and transmission, it'll essentially be a new (and by extension - reliable) vehicle.

I couldn't dream of finding a comparable used vehicle (with a known history) of the same caliber for anything close to that.

I just spoke to the mechanic and he's got my utmost confidence of doing a fine job.

There may be a bit of sentiment attached to the truck, but my rational-brain believes the numbers to be sensible.

Tim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
488ci Magnum V10
I would rebuild it if i were in your shoes. I absolutely love these engines. They have so much power and torque behind them and will go thru anything you throw at it. They drive the same empty or with 8k on the back. They are nearly indestructible as long as they are properly maintained. My first one had well over 400k before and accident totaled it. Good Luck!

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
$9000 for a rebuild on the trans and engine, but its runs and drives? if you are concerned, buy a parts truck that runs and drives and you'll have whatever parts you may need as they arise.

I have a 96 v10, that i love, but its got a bad trans, reverse doesnt enjoy working. Yet it stills sits next to my garage, and if my cummins breaks down, i know my v10 will fire up with a jump and be able to tow it home.

They are great for power and gotta love the 8-10mpg!

I'd love for you to keep it, and fix, but at $9k for me personally that is wayyyy to much.
a parts truck would run you anywhere from 200-3500 depending on if its current on everything and usable.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it was a salted rusty junker then no. But in your case, hell yes I would fix it.