8.4 Screen Protector/Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 19' Ram with the 8.4 touch screen whoever had it before me used some kind of cleaner that took the "anti glare" off parts the OEM screen... Does anyone know if this is removeable and replaceable? I bought a Mopar screen protector and all it did was amplify the difference between the spots that has the anti glair and the parts that the anti glare has been wiped off

Thanks,
Rob

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
On my 19' Ram with the 8.4 touch screen whoever had it before me used some kind of cleaner that took the "anti glare" off parts the OEM screen... Does anyone know if this is removeable and replaceable? I bought a Mopar screen protector and all it did was amplify the difference between the spots that has the anti glair and the parts that the anti glare has been wiped off

Thanks,
Rob
Can you post a picture?

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about that as soon as I posted lol, Ill take one tomorrow during the daylight and see if I can get what I see in a picture

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
D652DD23-1FD8-4233-942E-E82B2A0C908E.jpegIt’s difficult to get it in a picture, when the sun hits it directly it’s bad. Other than that it you can’t even notice it

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 475711It’s difficult to get it in a picture, when the sun hits it directly it’s bad. Other than that it you can’t even notice it
Apply one of these after cleaning the screen. It should hide those blemishes in the factory screen protector. The OEM screen has a very soft anti glare coating on it and this happens to all of the newer radios in a very short amount of time. You should apply it with either the HVAC bezel removed or the entire radio out of the truck as this protector goes under the bezel and covers non viewable areas of the screen as well.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply! I just ordered one. A few month ago I put the mopar one on but it was very glossy and I peeled it off after a few days of having it on there. I had the bezel out when I added my brake controller so i can do that pretty easy

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
Thank you for the reply! I just ordered one. A few month ago I put the mopar one on but it was very glossy and I peeled it off after a few days of having it on there. I had the bezel out when I added my brake controller so i can do that pretty easy
Hello,
I think I may have an advanced state of the same screen issue you had (please see attach pic). Did those Anti-Glare screen Protectors, from Amazon, work for you?
Thanks in advance!
Jason

20211109_155950.jpg

Last edited:

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
Apply one of these after cleaning the screen. It should hide those blemishes in the factory screen protector. The OEM screen has a very soft anti glare coating on it and this happens to all of the newer radios in a very short amount of time. You should apply it with either the HVAC bezel removed or the entire radio out of the truck as this protector goes under the bezel and covers non viewable areas of the screen as well.

How does one remove the factory anti-glare coating? Is a peel off or a chemically applied coating.
Thanks!
Jason

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How does one remove the factory anti-glare coating? Is a peel off or a chemically applied coating.
Thanks!
Jason
Chemicals. I used a razor blade and Goo Gone. Others have used Isopropyl Alcohol which is likely cleaner than Goo Gone.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put this one on my 8.4. Works awesome. Really made the font and color Pop. No glare.
KYKR Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Compatible with 2013-2021 Uconnect 8.4 Inch Clear Dodge Ram 1500/2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler JL-JLU/Gladiator JT 2020-2021/Grand Cherokee 2014-2021/ Compass MP 2017-2021 - Anti Glare Scratch Fingerprint Navigation Protection

Elc-1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i just ordered one of these for my truck but am curious about getting the screen clean from the smudges or i guess thats the factory coating?
Above someone said just alcohol will work, so it should look clean before applying the protector?
i really dont want to screw up my radio screen!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i just ordered one of these for my truck but am curious about getting the screen clean from the smudges or i guess thats the factory coating?
Above someone said just alcohol will work, so it should look clean before applying the protector?
i really dont want to screw up my radio screen!
It just needs to be free of lint dust and dirt. The factory screen blemishes should all but disappear with a protector over it so long as they aren't deep scratches or gouges.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
I think I may have an advanced state of the same screen issue you had (please see attach pic). Did those Anti-Glare screen Protectors, from Amazon, work for you?
Thanks in advance!
Jason

View attachment 477461
Hi Jason, I just received them in the mail yesterday. I ordered them on Amazon but they came from Germany so it took a few weeks for them to show up. I am going to install them tomorrow and let you know how they work

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got around to installing it and man did it work wonders. I cleaned the screen with windex and a paper towel very well, then took a can of compressed air to ensure the screen was dust free and installed it and you can’t even see where the stock anti glair had been wiped off. I would 10/10 recommend this product!!!

Attachments

• 0CB2EAFB-4A46-4984-8043-20AF089C69E3.jpeg
    0CB2EAFB-4A46-4984-8043-20AF089C69E3.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 20

Johnny Dakar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Just got around to installing it and man did it work wonders. I cleaned the screen with windex and a paper towel very well, then took a can of compressed air to ensure the screen was dust free and installed it and you can’t even see where the stock anti glair had been wiped off. I would 10/10 recommend this product!!!
And this is the Brotect protector that StKneelBend recommended? How did the install go?

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And this is the Brotect protector that StKneelBend recommended? How did the install go?
Yea man, That is the brotect one that StKneelBend recommended. Install was super simple, I do lots of vinyl decals and have a variety of application squeegees so I was able to install it with everything in place. I was able to apply it and use the squeegee to work the edges under the plastic. Install took me all of 30 seconds HAHA

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea man, That is the brotect one that StKneelBend recommended. Install was super simple, I do lots of vinyl decals and have a variety of application squeegees so I was able to install it with everything in place. I was able to apply it and use the squeegee to work the edges under the plastic. Install took me all of 30 seconds HAHA
Yeah, it's very forgiving for a screen protector...

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
They look great! Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered them for my display.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Yeah, it's very forgiving for a screen protector...
SitKneelBend, I am waiting on your recommended screen protector. I have a 2018 Ram that has those rubbed off spots/areas so I’m hoping this will work. That antiglare coating is easily marked/damaged just front normal use.
Is it easier to remove the radio or is it ok to install this with just the bezel removed? Thanks. Bob F