8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
One more question , when working on this, should I disconnect both battery leads or just one?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Just the one negative if at all, but to be clear if you are replacing the screen you will need to remove the radio completely from the vehicle.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just the one negative if at all, but to be clear if you are replacing the screen you will need to remove the radio completely from the vehicle.

Yes I understand that, just don't want to fry the electronics trying to remove it

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes I understand that, just don't want to try the electronics trying to remove it

Fair enough. It certainly doesn't hurt to remove the negative cable but I never have unless I was trying to fix something.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well some semi good news on this front. My preferred dealership(not the one I got the truck from) said it is a manufacturing issue, and they are ordering the new part. They feel fairly confident that Ram Care will help me out with this. I'm calling Ram Care tomorrow with the Order Number and my service advisor's contact information. Ball is in Ram's court now...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well some semi good news on this front. My preferred dealership(not the one I got the truck from) said it is a manufacturing issue, and they are ordering the new part. They feel fairly confident that Ram Care will help me out with this. I'm calling Ram Care tomorrow with the Order Number and my service advisor's contact information. Ball is in Ram's court now...
That's great to hear...fingers crossed!

Skajaquada77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT
174F0D68-79D7-46B9-93E7-8DCD97884FE6.jpeg Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I just discovered the same thing in my truck. I’m in FL and it’s getting blistering hot so may be that is what it is. Mine is on the top left and right corners.

Skajaquada77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT
Update: brought it in to the dealer and no questions asked, ordered and will be replaced within 2 weeks when the unit arrives. But mine was still under warranty luckily, at 30k miles.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update on my status. Ram Care called the dealer back, verified the part number for the radio, and expedited the order. So it seems it is indeed going to be replaced!

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I just noticed my screen delaminating in that very corner as well. Did the dealer say what will be replaced? - whole unit, or just the screen?

FmsTgun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reading through the threads, i saw that there should be gorilla glass on the screen. My 2018 seems to be plastic. Did they do two different types? There is a really bad glare and what seems to be smudges (for lack of better words) when the sunlight hits my screen. Was thinking of replacing it.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Part has been on back order now for forever, so on hold to see how long it will take for them to get it in.

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to my 2018 8.4 Uconnect screen. Tiny bubble in one corner that started to spread rapidly. Took the truck in and they told me it happens all the time in the Florida heat. They replaced the entire radio unit under warranty (without flashing over any of the stored info!).

That was back in March. Took about a month for the new radio unit to arrive.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe if I had to wait that long on parts, I would be getting an aftermarket radio. But then again, I am jaded against UConnect after they destroyed my sound for over half a year.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I believe if I had to wait that long on parts, I would be getting an aftermarket radio. But then again, I am jaded against UConnect after they destroyed my sound for over half a year.
But don't you lose some functionality with an aftermarket radio?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you guys go aftermarket I'll gladly buy your radios with delaminating screens....[emoji6]

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you guys go aftermarket I'll gladly buy your radios with delaminating screens....[emoji6]

If they keep putting things on delay, I may just buy the replacement screen and fix it myself.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If they keep putting things on delay, I may just buy the replacement screen and fix it myself.

Remember that the old screen is still good so it's worth money too.

I would be interested to see if those who have this issue have factory screen protectors that peel right off without chemicals or tools.

Last edited: