8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read a thread on here somewhere about that ringing noise. Turned out to be an assembly clamp on the forward muffler clamp that was not removed during assembly. It was tack welded there to hold the muffler clamp in place during assemble, and the poster just bent it a little out of the way and the noise stopped.

SJ Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I read a thread on here somewhere about that ringing noise. Turned out to be an assembly clamp on the forward muffler clamp that was not removed during assembly. It was tack welded there to hold the muffler clamp in place during assemble, and the poster just bent it a little out of the way and the noise stopped.

Interesting. I will check it out. Thank you for the info.

redpauly11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2014 ram 8 speed 1500 is doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer couple days ago with this thread printed out. They updated the transmission with the new update and it seems to be working. Not feeling the slip and the clunk into gear from dead stop anymore.

j cal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone else noticing this bump being worse in 4wd?

GM Enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I finally had a chance to take my truck in this morning to check out this issue. The dealer told me it is normal. When I tried to argue, they told me to pound sand. So Larry H Miller in Avondale, AZ gets the big middle finger from me. Lets see what another dealer has to say.

GM Enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To add to my previous post, I also now have video evidence that Larry H Miller Avondale did not actually do anything to diagnose this issue. According to dashcam video, the tech drove the car around the block, never actually trying out the braking as I had explained. He then drove the car into a bay, plugged in a scan tool and proceeded to stand around for about 5 minutes, wander off for about 5 more, unplug the scan tool and pull the car out of the bay and park it where I found it when I returned hours later.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I am going to check tonight when I brake to be sure, but I am almost 100% that I have aversion of this as well. I can feel it shift when I get out of park and that's not exactly the smoothest operation (I feel a clunk), but the rest of the shifting is butter. I'm going to check other forums and see if this is a general issue for slack. Warranty would cover an issue like this and it would eventually get worst if there is "slack".
Good luck.

Mine got worst. It goes into the dealer this Tuesday. I copied down a lot of info on this forum. I will be presenting it all to them. Warrantied for 5 years. Stock everything, luckily.

Wish me luck.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I was at the dealer yesterday. They reprogrammed the computer, updated it, and did a quick learn on the tranny. I feel as though the transmission shifts better, smoother, quicker and no more bump. I got to test it in tow/haul with my trailer for 30 mins as well, it was a better shift than normal in that mode as well. I am happy. We'll see in the long run.

good luck guys.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I finally had a chance to take my truck in this morning to check out this issue. The dealer told me it is normal. When I tried to argue, they told me to pound sand. So Larry H Miller in Avondale, AZ gets the big middle finger from me. Lets see what another dealer has to say.

A friend of mine has also pretty much sworn them off for being useless.

Try Bill Luke. Bought mine from them, and although I haven't had it in for service yet, the service and parts people have been responsive and knowledgeable on the questions I've asked.

redpauly11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The clunk went away after the tranny update but after awhile I started noticing it again. Not nearly as bad, but it is not completely fixed. Back at the dealer. Of course now they are giving me the run around now that they cant duplicate the problem that they already experienced the first time around.

tmorhous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cylinder
I have been getting this clunk upon stopping since I left the showroom.
Not sure if it normal or not. Concerned. Also have a problem with the 8 speed transmission going down a grade. I runs up the rpms and I cant kick it down. Twice I came to a stop and then started up again and drives normally once again. Happened about 6 or 7 times.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The transmission downshifting going down a hill is normal, it does that to help stop the vehicle from gaining speed.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been getting this clunk upon stopping since I left the showroom.
Not sure if it normal or not. Concerned. Also have a problem with the 8 speed transmission going down a grade. I runs up the rpms and I cant kick it down. Twice I came to a stop and then started up again and drives normally once again. Happened about 6 or 7 times.

if you even tap the brakes going down hill it'll drop a gear. it does that to give you engine braking which is very nice when you're loaded or pulling a trailer

Jersey1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I, too, have the 8spd intermittent "clunking when coming to a stop" issue. Also have the louder than expected "clunk" when shifting from D to R but this is a subjective judgment on my part. Went to the dealer to service the "clunking" once (approx 6 months ago), was told they "could not duplicate the problem" and sent on my merry way. It's not super annoying but I do know it's there.

Now my truck is modded (4" BDS lift, rims/larger tires)... do you guys think they'll give me crap or deny me a "fix" for having a lift?

Honestly, taking this truck to the dealer has been such an underwhelming experience that I am hesitant to waste my time.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to the dealer to service the "clunking" once (approx 6 months ago), was told they "could not duplicate the problem" and sent on my merry way. It's not super annoying but I do know it's there.

yeah i mention it every time i go to the dealer for whatever reason and it's always the same response. it is kinda rare so i can fully understand not being able to notice it during a quick drive around the block so i'll just keep bringing it up till they notice it. i figure worst case even if they never notice it if something happens because of it i'll have a long record of bringing up the issue

mine did stop doing it after about 7500km but last trip to the dealer they installed an update and reset the transmission and it's back to clunking again but not as often as before

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Mine does it on nearly every stop about half the time. I'm taking mine to the dealer after I get back from my Christmas trip to visit family.

A friend of mine had his flashed (and they said the flash was specifically for the transmission) a few months ago, and he said his hasn't done it since.

I suspect it only happens in certain shift maps that it "learns", as it's pretty consistent. When it doesn't do it, it doesn't EVER do it. When it does it, it does it pretty much every stop. I'm guessing it starts and stops doing it when it "learns" that it should use different maps.

NWRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 14 has been doing this since day one. Took it in for a list of items (including this) and an oil change. A week later, came back to seven pages of flashes and updates. I asked to drive the truck before turning in my loaner to make sure the clunk was gone...I couldn't believe it: NO MORE CLUNK!!! My loaner was also an 14, and shifted so smooth coming to a stop, I was hoping mine would be the same, and it was. Very happy!!!

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does it on nearly every stop about half the time. I'm taking mine to the dealer after I get back from my Christmas trip to visit family.

A friend of mine had his flashed (and they said the flash was specifically for the transmission) a few months ago, and he said his hasn't done it since.

I suspect it only happens in certain shift maps that it "learns", as it's pretty consistent. When it doesn't do it, it doesn't EVER do it. When it does it, it does it pretty much every stop. I'm guessing it starts and stops doing it when it "learns" that it should use different maps.

i kinda noticed the same some days it would do it quite a bit then other days it's fine but usually for me it'd just be once every few stops. i did wonder if it could be the drive shaft but it feels more like when you're driving a stick and pop the clutch too fast and it jerks a bit

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read about thumping issues, when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop, with other brands of vehicles; GM, Toyota, Ford, etc. Many of the times it is found to be a lack of adequate lube (grease) on (in) the rear drive shaft slip joint. At ~600 miles, my truck is nearly new and I have noticed the thump a few times. I have yet to crawl under the truck to see if there is a zerk fitting on the slip joint.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There's no grease fittings on the u-joints or slip yoke.