8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Am going to the dealership tomorrow morning at 0900 and will post it provided he'll give it to me - but shouldn't be a problem obtaining it.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Spent two hours at the dealer this morning. He wouldn't get specific on the TSB but did say they have two of them and will need to do the first TSB which will require me to rent a car. Then, if it still isn't fixed, they will provide a rental car for ten days while they work on it more and/or replace the tranny.

I went to the General Manager and asked if this was typical...he offered to put me into another truck as I've only been in the truck for 60 days, have been a solid customer who's purchased over six vehicles in the last seven years and he wants to do the right thing. I agreed to the generous offer (they had to go to another dealership to get the truck in the color with the options I wanted) and pick up my new 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Cummins 4x4 Mega Cab on Monday. And yes, they treated me extremely well...funny thing, my son's 2014 Laramie Longhorn which is one VIN digit different than my Laramie Longhorn is performing flawlessly. I have a number of fellow employees who have LoneStar edition's with the 5.7/8 speed and they too have been performing flawlessly. Bottom line is the dealer is stepping up and that's all one can ask.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Ended up not picking up the 2500 but instead a 2014 1500 Laramie Limited with the air suspension. That tranny is smooth as glass...time will tell but I went ahead and purchased a lifetime warranty from Bob at chryslerfactoryplans.com so I know I'm covered for quite some time to come.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up not picking up the 2500 but instead a 2014 1500 Laramie Limited with the air suspension. That tranny is smooth as glass...time will tell but I went ahead and purchased a lifetime warranty from Bob at chryslerfactoryplans.com so I know I'm covered for quite some time to come.

nice to see it all worked out

for the noise mine makes i've done a lot of testing and i'm pretty convinced it's just MDS disengaging

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Between MDS and 8 speed tranny, these trucks are light years ahead of the 2002 Ram I owned...just takes some getting used to these new sounds, sensations and shifting patterns provided all are working properly.

jdogbyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Did anyone get the TSB# for these issues? My 14 Lonestar 8 speed is doing the same lurch right before coming to a stop and also right before hitting the gas from a stop.

Mrbullred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did anyone get the TSB# for these issues? My 14 Lonestar 8 speed is doing the same lurch right before coming to a stop and also right before hitting the gas from a stop.
I would like to know as well. I thought it was the hill assist so I disengaged it but I still feel a weird grunt almost like the brakes are sticking when I come to a stop and start to take off. I bought my truck a week ago. It was a demo so it has 5k miles on it. 2014 5.7 liter 8-speed.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've never had any issues taking off but while stopping it almost feels like it's slipping when it drops to first. mine seems to be getting worse and i'm now pretty sure it's not from MDS so will have the dealer look at it next time i'm in the area

GM Enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am having the same issue everyone else is describing. I haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealer yet, but I have noticed one interesting thing. If I turn on tow/haul mode the clunk almost completely goes away. Can anyone else that's having this problem confirm if this works for them? This tells me it is NOT a driveshaft issue, it is either the transmission or MDS.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am having the same issue everyone else is describing. I haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealer yet, but I have noticed one interesting thing. If I turn on tow/haul mode the clunk almost completely goes away. Can anyone else that's having this problem confirm if this works for them? This tells me it is NOT a driveshaft issue, it is either the transmission or MDS.

It wouldn't be mds. Tow haul doesn't shut that off on the 8 speed trucks.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

i'll give it a try next time i'm out but now that you mention it i've never had it happen while towing so seems promising

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I've heard so many stories about clunks coming from dodge's. my buddy's uncle has a 86 ram 318 and has the same clunk since he bought it it's a dodge thing learn to love it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've heard so many stories about clunks coming from dodge's. my buddy's uncle has a 86 ram 318 and has the same clunk since he bought it it's a dodge thing learn to love it.

That 86 ram might have cost $15000. When you are paying $35000 to $50000 for a truck now it shouldn't make a single noise other than the song the engine sings.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I am going to check tonight when I brake to be sure, but I am almost 100% that I have aversion of this as well. I can feel it shift when I get out of park and that's not exactly the smoothest operation (I feel a clunk), but the rest of the shifting is butter. I'm going to check other forums and see if this is a general issue for slack. Warranty would cover an issue like this and it would eventually get worst if there is "slack".
Good luck.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
That 86 ram might have cost $15000. When you are paying $35000 to $50000 for a truck now it shouldn't make a single noise other than the song the engine sings.

the point i'm trying to get across is every automobile will have its flaw and its own personality no matter what. most of that money are for bells and whistles. I hear so many people tell me your dodge is a ************* it has crappy interior, crappy transmission and a crappy rear end. I saw the same guy on the side of the road. it's fiat also expect style over substance.

Last edited:

LoneStarHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've noticed that 'bump' like everyone describes right before stopping and also right when starting. Both very subtle, the one while starting is the most subtle. Neither are always noticeable. My impression is that is the converter unlocking and locking. I have the 3.92's so perhaps that is why it is at or near zero to one mph. I know the engineers want to keep the converter locked as long as possible and that 8 speed first gear is super low. I dont like that part of the driveabilty or the engine braking when coasting. When coasting I feel like I want the tranny to go ahead and upshift and unlock the converter, at least below 35-40 mph for example.
All that considered, still a very nice truck but my bump is not as harsh as others have described.

GM Enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
the point i'm trying to get across is every automobile will have its flaw and its own personality no matter what. most of that money are for bells and whistles.
But this is not some minor annoyance. With my truck it is not subtle at all, at times it is a very hard clunk. I have had multiple people ask me why I'm braking so hard. When I tell them I'm not, well, sorry to break it to you, but they now think the Ram might be a ************* because of firsthand experience.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
But this is not some minor annoyance. With my truck it is not subtle at all, at times it is a very hard clunk. I have had multiple people ask me why I'm braking so hard. When I tell them I'm not, well, sorry to break it to you, but they now think the Ram might be a ************* because of firsthand experience.

My point stands. I love my truck it makes a clunk my buddy's aspen makes a clunk. Saying dodge is a peice of **** is an opinion if it's something major you get used to it like my buddy his dad and me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My point stands. I love my truck it makes a clunk my buddy's aspen makes a clunk. Saying dodge is a peice of **** is an opinion if it's something major you get used to it like my buddy his dad and me.

And this is the reason why manufacturers can turn out crap vehicles and get away with it all the time. If I bought a kia I would expect clunks and rattles, but if I pay $40000 for a vehicle it should be pretty much flawless and whatever is wrong needs to be fixed under warranty.