8 Speed Slow Shift from Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Making sure it’s not me. Does the 8 speed take a few seconds to shift from park? The 6 speed in my 17 2500 and all the numerous 4l60’s I have owned were almost instantaneous. The 8 speed when backing into a spot, have to count to 4 Mississippi prior to giving it gas. If I rush the RPMs rev with an eventual clank.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've a 19' with the 8spd, and when shifting from P to D or R I do wait a brief moment for the transmission to engage (one can feel it through the vehicle as it engages in its selected gear) so as not to flare it, if you will, and cause it to clunk into gear (not good for the transmission).

I'm thinking that if you have to wait a full 4-seconds for the transmission to shift out of park and into gear, you could have something else going on.

- what's the mileage on your truck?
- have you ever had the fluid level checked in the transmission to make sure it's at the correct level?
- have you ever had the fluid and filter in the transmission changed?
- when you accelerate under regular load, or really pressing the skinny pedal down, does the transmission shift nicely/crisply/smoothly

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, i agree. The first thing would be to ensure the fluid is the right level. Remember you (or the technician) has to jack the rear end of the pickup up so the transmission pan is level. Then check/adjust it. Could be a solenoid issue. Might consider making sure all the grounds down and around the engine/trans are good, no corrosion at the connectors. There are probably voltage and resistance checks the dealer can make as part of the troubleshooting tree.

If it were my truck I would call around, talk to the dealership ahead of time. Talk to the parts dept guys. Do your homework and find out who the local dealership's best tranny guy is, or their best Master Technician (not a newbie, or sloppy guy who's thinking about quitting!). Every dealership has one or two all-star techs, a couple mediocre techs and a few newbies or sloppy workers. Find out his name. Arrange it so their best guy puts his hands on your tranny. I would personally walk in the back door and talk to the guy ahead of time. The reason is, he might be their best computer guy, but maybe Joe Blow is their go-to Transmission tech. Make sure the day you drop it off, the right guy's working on your truck ...he's not sick, on vacation or at his kid's out-of-town baseball game that day. That stuff happens. You just want to avoid the rookie who's more interested in busting out early and hang out with his buddy LOL.

Chrysler probably has the issue and resolution in their service database, which other shops won't have access to. If the dealer has to remove the transmission pan for troubleshooting purposes, I would have them change the fluid at that time. Yeah it's going to cost you some $$ but if they fix it ...probably worth it. I had the dealership work on my Jeep Grand Cherokee's tranny years ago and it was a good investment in time/money. They fixed the shifting issue and never had an issue thereafter. But make sure they don't put their half-a$$'d tech on it, or you might spend $$ and not get anywhere. https://www.mistertransmission.com/transmission-solenoid/

I have a car which has had a 'lazy' egaging tranny. Been like that since I've owned it ..15+ years, and 150k+ mi. Shifts tight otherwise. I still own it and the trans still operates fine.

Yeah, it's annoying but I've lived with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've a 19' with the 8spd, and when shifting from P to D or R I do wait a brief moment for the transmission to engage (one can feel it through the vehicle as it engages in its selected gear) so as not to flare it, if you will, and cause it to clunk into gear (not good for the transmission).

I'm thinking that if you have to wait a full 4-seconds for the transmission to shift out of park and into gear, you could have something else going on.

- what's the mileage on your truck?
- have you ever had the fluid level checked in the transmission to make sure it's at the correct level?
- have you ever had the fluid and filter in the transmission changed?
- when you accelerate under regular load, or really pressing the skinny pedal down, does the transmission shift nicely/crisply/smoothly
Up to a massive 4,100 miles so no. It’s new. I am assuming all fluids are at factory levels.
The transmission shifts well through the gears and smooth. Can present heavy down shifts a times on deceleration but so does the 6 speed.

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, i agree. The first thing would be to ensure the fluid is the right level. Remember you (or the technician) has to jack the rear end of the pickup up so the transmission pan is level. Then check/adjust it. Could be a solenoid issue. Might consider making sure all the grounds down and around the engine/trans are good, no corrosion at the connectors. There are probably voltage and resistance checks the dealer can make as part of the troubleshooting tree.

If it were my truck I would call around, talk to the dealership ahead of time. Talk to the parts dept guys. Do your homework and find out who the local dealership's best tranny guy is, or their best Master Technician (not a newbie, or sloppy guy who's thinking about quitting!). Every dealership has one or two all-star techs, a couple mediocre techs and a few newbies or sloppy workers. Find out his name. Arrange it so their best guy puts his hands on your tranny. I would personally walk in the back door and talk to the guy ahead of time. The reason is, he might be their best computer guy, but maybe Joe Blow is their go-to Transmission tech. Make sure the day you drop it off, the right guy's working on your truck ...he's not sick, on vacation or at his kid's out-of-town baseball game that day. That stuff happens. You just want to avoid the rookie who's more interested in busting out early and hang out with his buddy LOL.

Chrysler probably has the issue and resolution in their service database, which other shops won't have access to. If the dealer has to remove the transmission pan for troubleshooting purposes, I would have them change the fluid at that time. Yeah it's going to cost you some $$ but if they fix it ...probably worth it. I had the dealership work on my Jeep Grand Cherokee's tranny years ago and it was a good investment in time/money. They fixed the shifting issue and never had an issue thereafter. But make sure they don't put their half-a$$'d tech on it, or you might spend $$ and not get anywhere. https://www.mistertransmission.com/transmission-solenoid/

I have a car which has had a 'lazy' egaging tranny. Been like that since I've owned it ..15+ years, and 150k+ mi. Shifts tight otherwise. I still own it and the trans still operates fine.

Yeah, it's annoying but I've lived with it.

My first thought is all is fine. I’m just not use to the 8 speed. Would love to hop in a friend slash coworkers truck but I live in Chevy/ford country. In any case, my dealer has a lifetime power train warranty. I’m going to ask on my first service.