Tranny won’t Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machonodak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2017 Bighorn, 8 speed auto, 6 cylinder, 42K miles, xmisson fluid & filter changed 1000 miles ago. 14 Below F, sitting outside 24 hours, original battery, (5 years). Voltage shows 11.4 with Fluke meter. …., Auto start failed so went out to start manually, slow crank but started. Electronic screen cycled 2 times before showing normal (weird). Let engine warm to about 100 deg, but transmission temperature stayed at ( -10 ). Rotated shift knob to Drive, Check Engine Warning lit, Service Engine soon scrolled on screen. Next the screen showed Move Shift to Park, Press Brake & Rotate to Desired Gear. Every time I do this, the same alert continues, in other words, the computer does Not recognize the pressing of the brake. Shot off, removed FOB open and closed door, no changes. Will disconnect battery in the morning, trying the reset everyone talks about. No, I don’t have a code reader and I can’t drive it to a local shop, No forward or reverse. Constructive Help please. Thanks in advance. Dewey

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Sounds like you are doing everything you can. Only Add chargee that battery, indoors, to a full charge before re installing it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These truck are very sensitive to voltage. 5 years out of the battery is very good these day but it's definitely at the end of its life. You can try charging it but being that old it could have a dead cell and very weak amps. I'd recommend changing the battery because the extreme cold will destroy an old battery.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Capacity versus battery life to know the why. In the cold battery life extends, however battery capacity drops. So in a high cold crank amp application, your battery will have plenty of life but not enough capacity to run the application. In theory, increase the CCA and possibly get a longer interval with enough capacity to crank your hemi. Many guys run the h8 battery in the cold, generally they can even be cheaper for some reason then the h7, but gives you a bunch more CCA. You might have to adjust your tray,.

fAAAAAAAAAZo%2fAYJGlGddSC4%2fs280%2fBatteryCapLife.jpg

OP
OP
machonodak

machonodak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yep thanks for confirming. Used a booster pack, truck started ok but Tranny does not recognize park. Towing to shop

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, sounds like not a battery issue then, bummer that would have been the easy fix. GL

Earlier this year our other car was dead as dead can be, battery actually failed. Put that booster on and started right up to drive to dealer. I doubt it is a battery issue with that new info.

OP
OP
machonodak

machonodak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
So….. I replaced the battery and yes the battery was disconnected for some time as it was -15 F when I done it, several warm-up times. Tranny still doesn’t recognize Park. Engine running ok but transmission temp stays at around same as outside. In preparation for towing I pulled the manual “park/transfer case neutral “ device, all goes fine but am disappointed to find that the engine shuts down when in the Manual/Neutral Mode. Thought I would be able to steer and brake normally while being towed with a strap forward? Is there a work around? Thanks

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recall a thread a year or so ago where the trans actuator was iced up and wouldn't go into gear.

OP
OP
machonodak

machonodak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Conclusion: I replaced the 5 year old battery , which was needed and towed the truck to the shop. Transmission trouble was solved by them refilling the transmission to the correct level. Shop apologized and No charge. They accepted total fault for not filling correctly in November filter’s change. Thanks for all the feedback. It’s a great forum. Dewey