8 speed won't engage when on an incline......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyleb8077

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This happened to me a couple times before and I dismissed it as a fluke. But this weekend, I was at the end of my driveway and tried to pull the truck up closer to the house and it wouldn't go in drive. The rotary shifter just flashed until i put it back in park. My driveway is not sloped hardly at all. Maybe a 5 degree incline towards the end.
After doing this a couple times, I put it in reverse, backed up into the street and then it let me put it in drive. Previously, it happened when I wedged ramps under the front tires to drive up when changing the oil or do some other maintenance.
It seems like it won't engage if it can't get a small amount of forward roll or something. Seems strange to me.
Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Last edited:

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wish I could help...but I never have had that experience with my 2018 and I also have the rotary dial shifter.... Sounds strange to me..

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you try switching between 2wd, 4hi, &4low?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
This happened to me a couple times before and I dismissed it as a fluke. But this weekend, I was at the end of my driveway and tried to pull the truck up closer to the house and it wouldn't go in drive. The rotary shifter just flashed until i put it back in park. My driveway is not sloped hardly at all. Maybe a 5 degree incline towards the end.
After doing this a couple times, I put it in reverse, backed up into the street and then it let me put it in drive. Previously, it happened when I wedged ramps under the front tires to drive up when changing the oil or do some other maintenance.
It seems like it won't engage if it can't get a small amount of forward roll or something. Seems strange to me.
Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

If you decide to take you vehicle in for service and you feel that additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a direct message.

Lamar
RAM Cares

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you engage the parking brake prior to shifting into park ? Sounds like maybe a little too much pressure on the parking pawl, just a thought.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never ran into that, but in the settings there's an option for hill start assist, did you turn it off by any chance?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kyleb8077

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you engage the parking brake prior to shifting into park ? Sounds like maybe a little too much pressure on the parking pawl, just a thought.
No. Like I said, my driveway is not sloped hardly at all. It hasn't happened but maybe 3 or 4 times in the 6 years ive had the truck.

OP
OP
K

kyleb8077

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never ran into that, but in the settings there's an option for hill start assist, did you turn it off by any chance?

I'll have to check on that. I can't imagine I did. That is not something I would mess with too much if at all.

Dhughes4301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may be on to something here. I think it may have been open every time it has happened. I don't typically shut the door when pulling up on ramps.

yeah if the driver door isn’t shut, the safety programming throws the truck back into park..I hate that “feature”, especially when hooking a trailer

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
it's the Pavel Chekov/Anton Yelchin, we don't want to get sued by killing another famous Actor, FCA, we know far better than you ******* Consmers, Safety Feature.
What killed him was the vehicle said it was in park but was not.

The feature is known as AutoPark.
Update for pre 2017 trucks and standard on 2017 and up.
Open the door with engine running, it goes into park. have door open, engine running, and try to put it in gear, teh selector will puke and flash P. it will not go out of park until door is closed.

Last edited: