8HP70 fluid exchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Weeeeeeell, what has me in a bind is that it is still under warranty. Not by much but it is. It will age out before mileage out. And I am not sure if he has an extended warranty, Maxcare or other. So, the dealership is saying that anything this fluid is in will have to be replaced, due to "bad fluid". That means cooler lines, trans mounted cooler, condenser/cooler, trans itself etc.

Remaining warranty really counts for zero when faced replacing parts not covered by warranty. But if you agreed to let the dealer do the work that is that. A question and a little personal experience with mixing Maxlife with OEM fluid.

From your previous post I gather that the fluid you uses is NOT ATF-4 but apparently the dealer is assuming it is ATF4 because it is red, is that correct?? If the fluid you use is indeed like MaxLife it is comparable so the dealer is making wrong some flat out wrong assumptions.

If the fluid you used is a compatible fluid like MaxLife they do not need to replace things just to get the pink color out, they can refill with OEM fluid and it will mix without an issue other than possibly a little pink tint..

I say this speaking from experience. Long story I posted before, short version.... A stick on a trail flipped up and cracked my plastic T pan, overnight in hunting camp the pan drained. I temporarily repaired the pan refill what leaked out with Maxlife. I ran it that way for a lot of miles with the about 50/50 mix before replacing the pan and refilling again with fresh Maxlife. It shifted 100% normal with the mix and now with full synthetic Maxlife it shifts smooth as silk even under load towing.

Before I would have agreed to footing the entire repair I sure would do as the fluid manufactured requested. "Contacted the manufacturer of the trans fluid and they keep saying its compatible. Now they want me to send a sample".

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From what the service manager has told me, yes, going by color alone. It is an assumption on their part. If the fluid does come back as compatible, I will be seeking reimbursement from the dealership. The main and only reason I am footing the entire bill as of right now is to get the customer's truck back in a timely manner. Period. I do not want him to have to wait for the fluid analysis to come back and the battle between me and whoever to drag out with his truck in limbo.

If for whatever reason the fluid does NOT meet the criteria of Lifeguard 8, then I am holding the fluid manufacturer liable for the issue. If it does come back compatible, the dealership will be hearing from my lawyer.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
From what the service manager has told me, yes, going by color alone. It is an assumption on their part. If the fluid does come back as compatible, I will be seeking reimbursement from the dealership. The main and only reason I am footing the entire bill as of right now is to get the customer's truck back in a timely manner. Period. I do not want him to have to wait for the fluid analysis to come back and the battle between me and whoever to drag out with his truck in limbo.

If for whatever reason the fluid does NOT meet the criteria of Lifeguard 8, then I am holding the fluid manufacturer liable for the issue. If it does come back compatible, the dealership will be hearing from my lawyer.

My friend you deserve a ton of credit for taking care of your customer and standing behind your companies work in the most ethical way possible.

OP
OP
M

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I opened a new business in a small town that I grew up and currently live in. My wife was born and raised here. So, I will be damned if I will have "that" reputation. I accept full responsibility for myself and my team. We have goofed up plenty of times. We are human, we make mistakes. It is how it is taken care of. And other shops in town crawfish ALL the time. I will not become that shop. Now that being said, we have had some customers try to screw me big time. Had a guy with a 3gen cummins say our oil filter malfunctioned and blew up his motor. The inner sleeve of the filter, where the mounting threads are, was bent in. Like he reached in with a screwdriver and pried it inward. And he is still driving the truck today, puffing like a freight train down the road.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad I have the maxcare lifetime warranty....
I have the Lifetime Maxcare warranty as well. My '18 only had 14K miles. Trying to decide if I'm ever going to service the transmission. I don't wanna spend $1K to service at the dealer or risk voiding the warranty servicing it elsewhere. Other owners with Maxcare, what are your plans? No service, wait for it to die, and replace for th cost of the deductible?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Lifetime Maxcare warranty as well. My '18 only had 14K miles. Trying to decide if I'm ever going to service the transmission. I don't wanna spend $1K to service at the dealer or risk voiding the warranty servicing it elsewhere. Other owners with Maxcare, what are your plans? No service, wait for it to die, and replace for th cost of the deductible?

I have MaxCare lifetime too and Its a good question.

If I pay (even a dealer) to change the fluid, can they potentially deny any coverage under MaxCare Lifetime because i went against FCAs requirement (which is essentially never change the fluid)?

If I DON'T ever change the fluid, Im not naive enough to think it will last until the day I get rid of the truck. So Im putting all my eggs in the MaxCare Lifetime basket....if the trans grenades, what if they deny coverage for any reason they can think of? I essentially let it happen by following "the letter of the law" in regards to their recommended maintenance (which, in this case, is no maintenance at all)

If I were to have it changed, I would either do it myself with all OEM stuff or pay the dealer so it is on record. I know it wont be cheap through the dealer (have not confirmed just how expensive), but I might prepare myself for it. ZF themselves even spec a 60K mile fluid change, so how FCA assumes "lifetime" is beyond me. I think maybe I would wait until 60K miles to have it changed just because I have MaxCare. If I did NOT I would be starting to think about at least a drain and refill every 10-15K miles, after 5 or 6 of them you would have completely fresh fluid in there.

OP
OP
M

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have MaxCare lifetime too and Its a good question.

If I pay (even a dealer) to change the fluid, can they potentially deny any coverage under MaxCare Lifetime because i went against FCAs requirement (which is essentially never change the fluid)?

If I DON'T ever change the fluid, Im not naive enough to think it will last until the day I get rid of the truck. So Im putting all my eggs in the MaxCare Lifetime basket....if the trans grenades, what if they deny coverage for any reason they can think of? I essentially let it happen by following "the letter of the law" in regards to their recommended maintenance (which, in this case, is no maintenance at all)

If I were to have it changed, I would either do it myself with all OEM stuff or pay the dealer so it is on record. I know it wont be cheap through the dealer (have not confirmed just how expensive), but I might prepare myself for it. ZF themselves even spec a 60K mile fluid change, so how FCA assumes "lifetime" is beyond me. I think maybe I would wait until 60K miles to have it changed just because I have MaxCare. If I did NOT I would be starting to think about at least a drain and refill every 10-15K miles, after 5 or 6 of them you would have completely fresh fluid in there.

FCA is calling it a maintenance free trans under a technicality. As per ZF’s specs that I posted previously, under normal driving conditions, they say it’s maintenance free. But if you use it under above normal conditions, high speed, lots of highway driving or towing frequently, then due at 62,000 or 8 years.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Well, I have to chime in here... Is this the transmission only in the newer 1500s? I have a 2004 2500 diesel that I have dropped the pan and refilled three times, and at some point I will want to service my new 2018 CTD 2500 RV Hauler.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is this the transmission only in the newer 1500s?

That is correct, only in the 1500s now. A similar transmission will be behind the 6.4 Hemi in the HD trucks next year.
Your current 2500 CTD has a 6 spd transmission and uses ATF +4

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think he posted that he plans on taking it to the fluid manufacturer for his own reimbursement, after he covers the replacement cost for his customer (which is great customer service, if you ask me!)

I just hope Valvoline or whoever doesn't give him grief if they really put that their fluid is suitable, even if the fluid didnt really cause the issue at hand.

Why would Valvoline cover the cost when they say it is a suitable replacement ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

That's my plan. They say lifetime fill, they can replace when it fails.

OP
OP
M

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All right. So the truck was repaired. They gave me a sample of the fluid for testing, about 1 quart. Will be sending it off. Service manager said he could see clutch material in it, can't see a darned thing. Its a little dark but doesn't smell burnt in the slightest. And if anybody is ,curous, $7666.16 all said and done. But that also includes $1200 for a rental.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All right. So the truck was repaired. They gave me a sample of the fluid for testing, about 1 quart. Will be sending it off. Service manager said he could see clutch material in it, can't see a darned thing. Its a little dark but doesn't smell burnt in the slightest. And if anybody is ,curous, $7666.16 all said and done. But that also includes $1200 for a rental.
Valvoline Maxlife ATF is good stuff. Verndiesel has been running it in his 8hp70 for 500K miles last time we heard from him. I also ran it in my old Silverado 205K miles (4L60e/4sp Auto) changed ever 60-70K miles and she's still going strong.

I also have the lifetime Added Care Plus and I will change my fluid/filter with a factory pan and the Lifeguard 8 or Ravenol 8HP ATF at 100K miles and nobody but me will ever know the difference.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it definitely maxlife atf that was used? Or did +4 get put in?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Maybe just a case of bad timing/coincidence. Not sure even the wrong fluid would cause a trans to destroy itself in a month.