8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RainZeros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still sitting on mine. Bought the MaxCare plan right after I purchased the transmission thermostat so have been reluctant to install. These transmissions so rarely have issues, I’m contemplating tossing it in anyhow. If it ***** the bed, it will be after the 125k warranty anyhow because of the heat. Currently at 41k miles on 21 4x4 Laramie. Rear window leak has been biggest issue with rig.
I would 1000% sit on it till after your warranty is over. I also had the maxcare and it saved me. Transmission blew at 71k, they replaced it and all I payed was the $100 deductible. I bought this bypass because my warranty just expired now and I wanted to do everything to save my transmission from blowing again

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
One of the greatest benefits to my part is you simply cannot tell that it's been installed. The thermal unit is 'non serviceable' so there's no reason for them to check it.

I'm considering one of these.

Having the "transmission heater" is absolutely unnecessary, especially where I reside and imo, a guarantee the possibility of/for early transmission failure do to excessive heat.

Last edited:

alekur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everybody. Just an update on my failed attempt to swap the part.

I did receive caulk's modified piece - he shipped it very fast, communication was prompt.

I hit a snag on removing the plastic plug part of the thermostat. Got to it as per instructions removing driveshaft and park release break line, removed the snap ring, cleaned everything around it - no oxidation or deposits, see grove clearly. I could push it in and plug moved but never came out. Plenty of WD/40 spray, some silicone penetrating spray in desperation.

I tried running engine for about 30 minutes while on a ramp with break applied, driveshaft disconnected - even tried to switch to drive and rear while on emergency break and pushed brake pedal in hope that it would increase transmission internal oil pressure and push the plug out. Transmission warmed up to about 140 and stabilized while parked. Would not go higher.

Plastic plug did not pop and attempts to pull it out while tranny was hot lead to a sizable burn on my forearm from exhaust cross over - RAM engineers hate people... AFTER burning myself I put welder's jacket on - highly recommend it, lol! Plastic plug would not come out. That o-ring might be too swollen inside? Caulk was nice enough to answer my messages via text when i was fiddling with it!!!

There is no plastic nipple on my cap anymore after all of my attempts. I can't take a risk of breaking it. Installed snap ring back, parking level release bolts and driveshaft. back to square one.
I am camping next week - towing a decent size trailer, I will let you know what my trans temp will be without it installed. My truck runs at 195-205 with no load at highway speeds. I am a bit concerned.

it is 2016 with HEMI, well out of warranty, previous owner did tranny fluid change about 30K miles away, with RED fluid - not ZF/MOPAR one. I was planning to switch back to MOPAR fluid soon anyways.

P.S. Does anyone knows what size that snap ring is? I'd like to get a new one if I am to try attempt #2. Same for internal O-ring? I can get any size automotive Viton O-ring, just curious about size.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everybody. Just an update on my failed attempt to swap the part.

I did receive caulk's modified piece - he shipped it very fast, communication was prompt.

I hit a snag on removing the plastic plug part of the thermostat. Got to it as per instructions removing driveshaft and park release break line, removed the snap ring, cleaned everything around it - no oxidation or deposits, see grove clearly. I could push it in and plug moved but never came out. Plenty of WD/40 spray, some silicone penetrating spray in desperation.

I tried running engine for about 30 minutes while on a ramp with break applied, driveshaft disconnected - even tried to switch to drive and rear while on emergency break and pushed brake pedal in hope that it would increase transmission internal oil pressure and push the plug out. Transmission warmed up to about 140 and stabilized while parked. Would not go higher.

Plastic plug did not pop and attempts to pull it out while tranny was hot lead to a sizable burn on my forearm from exhaust cross over - RAM engineers hate people... AFTER burning myself I put welder's jacket on - highly recommend it, lol! Plastic plug would not come out. That o-ring might be too swollen inside? Caulk was nice enough to answer my messages via text when i was fiddling with it!!!

There is no plastic nipple on my cap anymore after all of my attempts. I can't take a risk of breaking it. Installed snap ring back, parking level release bolts and driveshaft. back to square one.
I am camping next week - towing a decent size trailer, I will let you know what my trans temp will be without it installed. My truck runs at 195-205 with no load at highway speeds. I am a bit concerned.

it is 2016 with HEMI, well out of warranty, previous owner did tranny fluid change about 30K miles away, with RED fluid - not ZF/MOPAR one. I was planning to switch back to MOPAR fluid soon anyways.

P.S. Does anyone knows what size that snap ring is? I'd like to get a new one if I am to try attempt #2. Same for internal O-ring? I can get any size automotive Viton O-ring, just curious about size.
The Revmax kit comes with a brass plug and does away with the factory plastic plug,but it's a bit extreme having to buy their kit just to get the plug,as i'm not sure you can buy just the plug itself or if you have to buy a new thermal unit to get it.I haven't priced out the thermal unit in a few years,but it was cheaper then the Revmax kit back about 5 years ago,and you'd get a new snap ring / plug and o-ring

alekur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Revmax kit comes with a brass plug and does away with the factory plastic plug,but it's a bit extreme having to buy their kit just to get the plug,as i'm not sure you can buy just the plug itself or if you have to buy a new thermal unit to get it.I haven't priced out the thermal unit in a few years,but it was cheaper then the Revmax kit back about 5 years ago,and you'd get a new snap ring / plug and o-ring
Its about 187usd now for whole unit. Ill figure something out, after camping trip.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Its about 187usd now for whole unit. Ill figure something out, after camping trip.
Ouch,they've doubled since i was pricing one out 5 years ago. If you're planning on doing a fluid/filter change,you could unbolt the thermal unit,and probably use compressed air to blow the plug out.Might be the time to update the transfer tubes to,as your originals will be the leak prone O-ring tubes,and there's a updated rubber encased transfer tube available from Mopar to replace the older O-ring versions.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch,they've doubled since i was pricing one out 5 years ago. If you're planning on doing a fluid/filter change,you could unbolt the thermal unit,and probably use compressed air to blow the plug out.Might be the time to update the transfer tubes to,as your originals will be the leak prone O-ring tubes,and there's a updated rubber encased transfer tube available from Mopar to replace the older O-ring versions.
Mine are the oring tubes. I’m on 6.5 years so far with no issues thankfully. I’ve debated swapping the tubes

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine are the oring tubes. I’m on 6.5 years so far with no issues thankfully. I’ve debated swapping the tubes
When i had to replace my 8 speed ,i sprung for the updated tubes,but up till then,i'd never had any issues with the o-ring tubes either Khris,but i figured since i was replacing the transmission with a brand new transmission,i might as well do the updated tubes at the same time,seeing as how it was all out on the ground and easy to get at,lol

alekur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you gave the link for thouse? I only found this ones - still have o-ring design i believe.

At this point i Might as well buy a new tranny

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you gave the link for thouse? I only found this ones - still have o-ring design i believe.

At this point i Might as well buy a new tranny
Local Dealer clued me into them,and had them in stock.Long since got rid of the bag they came in,but your local dealers parts department should be able to access them.
Crappy pic,but this is what they look like

Attachments

• IMG_4268 (2).JPG
    IMG_4268 (2).JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 14

alekur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Local Dealer clued me into them,and had them in stock.Long since got rid of the bag they came in,but your local dealers parts department should be able to access them.
Crappy pic,but this is what they look like
Thanks. Ill check it out. From the looks of it 68227208AB might be the upgraded part. But it doesnt seem that leaking from tubes is common problem.
When i was under the truck i was actually quite surprized how well all rubber houses/parts looked. Pretty good for 7 years old truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks. Ill check it out. From the looks of it 76822208AB might be the upgraded part. But it doesnt seem that leaking from tubes is common problem.
When i was under the truck i was actually quite surprized how well all rubber houses/parts looked. Pretty good for 7 years old truck.
I wouldn't say it's a common problem but there have been reports of the tubes leaking,there's video's up on replacing the tubes,so that's your first clue they do cause the occassional issue,otherwise there'd be no video's,lol.

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well FINALLY got some time and decent weather to install @caulk04 bypass. With reading @crazykid1994 post back on 1/21 and @Daniel Ortiz post 11/22 in this thread thought it sounded reasonably and not to complicated to do. I would see trans temps run 174 to 190 in 40 to 50 degree outside weather just driving around town and didn’t like that at all. Grab some power tools and got it done. @Wild one suggested wrapping the crossover pipe with heat wrap so I did that as well while I was down there. Took about 90 minutes in total. Took my time to make sure everything was done correctly. Been driving with it in for 2 days and temps are way better now. I previously installed a stant 180 coolant thermostat and removed the middle shutters.

Attachments

• IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 23

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well FINALLY got some time and decent weather to install @caulk04 bypass. With reading @crazykid1994 post back on 1/21 and @Daniel Ortiz post 11/22 in this thread thought it sounded reasonably and not to complicated to do. I would see trans temps run 174 to 190 in 40 to 50 degree outside weather just driving around town and didn’t like that at all. Grab some power tools and got it done. @Wild one suggested wrapping the crossover pipe with heat wrap so I did that as well while I was down there. Took about 90 minutes in total. Took my time to make sure everything was done correctly. Been driving with it in for 2 days and temps are way better now. I previously installed a stant 180 coolant thermostat and removed the middle shutters.
impressive...9k miles on a 19? I live 4 miles from work and I have 55k on my 16.

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
impressive...9k miles on a 19? I live 4 miles from work and I have 55k on my 16.
Naw. Switched out the gauges for the 7” evic and replaced the gauge cover to a rebel one. Hence the red trim. Still trying to get the mileage correction to take using AlfaOBD. I was able to correct the idle time but mileage just doesn’t take no matter what. Actually has 33,000 and some change on it.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I just finished installing @caulk04's transmission heater bypass valve. All went well on the install and was easy.

However, after removing the snap ring and pulling out the transmission factory thermostat, I had a short blast of transmission fluid "shoot out" in my hair and eyes ... I wasn't prepared for that, lol.

I'll report back in a few days with the transmission temp difference(s).IMG_20230524_154328312.jpg

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just finished installing @caulk04's transmission heater bypass valve. All went well on the install and was easy.

However, after removing the snap ring and pulling out the transmission factory thermostat, I had a short blast of transmission fluid "shoot out" in my hair and eyes ... I wasn't prepared for that, lol.

I'll report back in a few days with the transmission temp difference(s).
Same here. I know @caulk04 said its a couple ounces but tranny fluid laying in a puddle on the garage floor looked like a couple gallons. I thrashed on it good today and saw my temp reach 154 and then within half a mile or so right back down to 145.