91 318 rebuilt and running terrible PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys hopefully somebody can help me out. 1991 w150 with a 318. Cylinder head cracked last year so I pulled the motor and put a new crank, timing set, all new bearings, pushrods, rings, the whole 9 yards. So my motor is fresh. I put it back into the truck and I simply cant get it to run right and have power. The truck idles fine most of the time but it has intermitten sluggish revving and a noticeable miss out of the exhaust. While driving, I barely have enough power to get out of my own way and will do good to get 55mph on flat ground, and I get occaissional backfiring out of the throttle body. I'm showing roughly 145-150psi per cylinder so I have good compression. Timing was set by a light to 10 degrees btdc with temp sensor unplugged, (which is a new sensor) new intake air temp sensor, one new fuel injector (both spraying pretty well) throttle body gaskets and seals were replaced. Has new sparkplugs, wires, ignition coil, rotor button, etc. Fuel filter has been replaced and im showing 14.5psi of fuel pressure at the throttle body. Can someone give me some insight as to what could be my problem? A couple other oddities include code 41 showing now and my alternator is not charging. Also, im showing zero vacuum at the back of throttle body port that connects to the pvc valve. Im really tired of spending money on this thing but I've got to figure something out. Thanks!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
When you replaced the timing kit was TDC measured correctly on cylinder one ?

Did you measure the deck height before disassembly or do you have the specs for tolerances of the finished deck height ?

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I have to say timing on timing chain was my first thought.
it can be one tooth off or the chain could have stretched.
Obviously twice the number one piston reaches to the top of the cylinder but the exhaust stroke doesn’t reach as high and can sometimes be mistaken for the compression stroke
I don’t think it can actually start and run in that configuration but other factors like ignition maybe adjust to the other side of the equation but you would believe it would have more retardation than advace

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like timing is off, and you said it would backfire out of throttle body,also how is your firing order of plug wires.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Agreed with above. Sounds like the timing chain is off a tooth or two. I had a 350 Olds built by a local engine shop that built race engines and it wouldn't get out of its own way and wouldn't idle. Tore it down and it was 3 teeth off. Keep in mind this is not the distributor being off, it's the cam and crank being out of sync with each other.

But to eliminate easier things first double check the distributor is aligned correctly on TDC