Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a battery tester very similar to that. But I think I got it from Amazon. It's a must-have for situations like this where the OP isn't able to just head to O'Reilly's. Or Canadian Tire for our friends to the North. :cheers:

Unfortunately, CTC no longer performs free battery tests unless you bought it from them.

Just like our Southern brothers, we have to visit an auto parts store. :cool:

Of course, I own 2 load tester toasters. I misfiled the first one and bought a second, they were even cheaper 20+ years ago.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a battery tester very similar to that. But I think I got it from Amazon. It's a must-have for situations like this where the OP isn't able to just head to O'Reilly's. Or Canadian Tire for our friends to the North. :cheers:
Princess Auto is Canada's Harbour Freight,followed up closely by Crappy Tire :Big Laugh:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Use the multi-meter to test the battery

Harbor Freight
7-Function Digital Multimeter
$6.99

If the battery has voltage
Greater than 11.85v

Use a test light to test the starting circuit

Harbor Freight
CEN-TECH Circuit Tester Set, 3-Piece
$5.99

Electrical trouble shooting is a profession and although I like trying to solve an electrical issue that aren’t my own
I still rely on videos from people like Scanner Danner who has a series of videos addressing different issues

YouTube Video
Scanner Danner voltage drop test on a starter

Starter Solenoid Diagram

IMG_0417.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Use the multi-meter to test the battery

Harbor Freight
7-Function Digital Multimeter
$6.99

If the battery has voltage
Greater than 11.85v

Use a test light to test the starting circuit

Harbor Freight
CEN-TECH Circuit Tester Set, 3-Piece
$5.99

Electrical trouble shooting is a profession and although I like trying to solve an electrical issue that aren’t my own
I still rely on videos from people like Scanner Danner who has a series of videos addressing different issues

YouTube Video
Scanner Danner voltage drop test on a starter

Starter Solenoid Diagram

View attachment 540564
UPDATE: Went to the truck this morning. Found three blown fuses. Replaced them, still nothing. Took battery back, tested good. Went ahead and removed the starter and had O'Reilly test it. BAD STARTER. Just ordered one online. Will be here between April 13 and April 17. Will keep yall updated.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
UPDATE: Starter helped, but now it will crank but won't stay running. Fuel filter? Injectors? Some other sensor maybe like cam or crank sesor?? It's also making a loud clicking noise when it's running. Either a click or a clack. Any ideas?

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
UPDATE: Starter helped, but now it will crank but won't stay running. Fuel filter? Injectors? Some other sensor maybe like cam or crank sesor?? It's also making a loud clicking noise when it's running. Either a click or a clack. EGR valve maybe?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
UPDATE: Starter helped, but now it will crank but won't stay running. Fuel filter? Injectors? Some other sensor maybe like cam or crank sesor?? It's also making a loud clicking noise when it's running. Either a click or a clack. Any ideas?
Internet forum guessing is only going to get you so far before you need someone who is a professional to put eyes on the problem. It is going to get expensive with the parts cannon guessing.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Goad to see you’re getting somewhere

check out this recent thread

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Update: Not much to update really, except my truck is stuck at my buddies house. I can't afford to have it towed to my place at the moment. So, I'm out of transportation til I can get it towed here. Dealership is gonna cost way to much for me to have them repair it. So I'm trying everything I can just to get it towed. I'm out of work at the moment, but start new job May 1st. Hoping I can keep it at my buddies til I get my first check. Anyways, til then, the truck will be in limbo. Check in soon. Thanks all