Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do headlights work?
If so, with them on, turn the key to start. Do they dim or go out? Starter or bad connection at same.
If they don't, problem lies in getting power to starter. Relays, wires or safety switches.
Personally, I use a "pick light" for most troubleshooting where specific voltage isn't being checked. For circuit continuity (including fuses) quick, easy and cheap.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Diagnoses wise it began by someone telling the OP
that they had a bad coil.
How did they arrive at that diagnosis?
Was it a OBD port code reader what was the code exactly?
Yes Fuel, Air, Spark … but do the headlights work ?

M-26 ignition (can anyone verify this?)
M-22 fuel pump
J-12 Starter Solenoid
IMG_3277.jpeg

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ya,this is a BS posting..op not listening,doin stuff ass-backwards,got peeps arguing..im not reading this one anymore
It is endemic on just about every vehicle forum of people only joining looking for magic bullet fixes and confirmation bias of their already bad decisions.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is endemic on just about every vehicle forum of people only joining looking for magic bullet fixes and confirmation bias of their already bad decisions.
Seems the OP is MIA . Never quite understood these threads , long before I get on a forum . I would done the obvious, jump the damn thing or test the battery. :rolleyes:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Seems the OP is MIA . Never quite understood these threads , long before I get on a forum . I would done the obvious, jump the damn thing or test the battery. :rolleyes:
It is intellectual laziness. Like people who post the simplest of questions that could be answered readily by looking in the owners manual. It easier for them to just try and crowd source an answer and let others do the heavy lifting than just figure it out with the means already available to them.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol...That is pretty bad...someone did ask that.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All kidding aside, it would be nice to know what this turned out to be.

I'm afraid we've seen the last of the OP . I think he finally realized what the easy solution was , bad battery would be my guess . But yes it would be nice to know after all the work that had been done on the truck . Usually when there is a problem , and it gets asked on a forum ,you'd think the OP would come back , and let the forum know to help someone else . Or too embarrassed to say the battery connections were not tight .

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Did you clean the battery cable ends? They can get a build up of corrosion. Over the years I've seen that problem catch a lot of people.
UPDATE...this coming Sunday, I'm having a friend take me out to my truck and take the battery back to wally world and get it tested. Hope that's the issue... will keep you all posted.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
I'm afraid we've seen the last of the OP . I think he finally realized what the easy solution was , bad battery would be my guess . But yes it would be nice to know after all the work that had been done on the truck . Usually when there is a problem , and it gets asked on a forum ,you'd think the OP would come back , and let the forum know to help someone else . Or too embarrassed to say the battery connections were not tight .
Will let you know this Sunday

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
UPDATE...this coming Sunday, I'm having a friend take me out to my truck and take the battery back to wally world and get it tested. Hope that's the issue... will keep you all posted.
Aaaaand, BTW, I haven't blown anyone off! I'm a recovering vet, living at a sober living house, and don't have the means to just y jump up and go somewhere. I can get over to my buddies house when I can..that will be this coming Sunday. I will keep everyone up to date

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey timbo good to hear back from you! That sounds like a plan. Lots of folks anxious to hear what's up and try to help you out.
I hope you are doing well and a big thank you for your service.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Hey timbo good to hear back from you! That sounds like a plan. Lots of folks anxious to hear what's up and try to help you out.
I hope you are doing well and a big thank you for your service.
Much appreciatd. Hope the weather holds out this Sunday so I can get on the truck...even if I have to use an umbrella..lol I want my truck running. I miss not having Trans portation of my own

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Much appreciatd. Hope the weather holds out this Sunday so I can get on the truck...even if I have to use an umbrella..lol I want my truck running. I miss not having Trans portation of my own
Buy yourself one of these battery testers,and test it yourself while it's still in the truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a battery tester very similar to that. But I think I got it from Amazon. It's a must-have for situations like this where the OP isn't able to just head to O'Reilly's. Or Canadian Tire for our friends to the North. :cheers: