Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
My name is Tim. I own a 2010 ram 1500 quad ST, 4.7 liter. Engine light came on so I took it to autozone and got a bad ignition coil, but they failed to tell me the exact cylinder. So, I have replaced them all, along with all 16 plugs and wires. I replaced the battery as well. All new. Now the engine will not even turn over. We heard click in and around the fuse block. So could there be a fuse or relay bad?? We have tapped on the starter but still nothing. Could it be the fuse to the starter solenoid? Or maybe one of the 3 ASD relays? Aby suggestions? I would hugely appreciate the insight. Thank you and have a blessed day.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grab yourself a voltmeter and tell us what the battery read across the terminals

It might be as simple as a dead battery

(I'd suggest jumping it, but im guessing it's parked face first into a garage)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Guys, he said he replaced the battery. Unless the new battery was bad out of the box it's likely something else.

@timbo6723 since you say you heard a click around the fuse block area you will want to make sure you didn't blow a fuse. Also check your fusible link(s). Do other things in the truck power up? Lights, sound system, instrument cluster? Does the starter click at all when trying to start? Is it possibly you didn't reconnect something back up when you replaced those parts?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys, he said he replaced the battery. Unless the new battery was bad out of the box it's likely something else.

@timbo6723 since you say you heard a click around the fuse block area you will want to make sure you didn't blow a fuse. Also check your fusible link(s). Do other things in the truck power up? Lights, sound system, instrument cluster? Does the starter click at all when trying to start? Is it possibly you didn't reconnect something back up when you replaced those parts?
he replaced a bunch of things, but the ONLY thing on that list that would make a truck not turn over, is the battery
kinda makes sence to focus on that

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
My name is Tim. I own a 2010 ram 1500 quad ST, 4.7 liter. Engine light came on so I took it to autozone and got a bad ignition coil, but they failed to tell me the exact cylinder. So, I have replaced them all, along with all 16 plugs and wires. I replaced the battery as well. All new. Now the engine will not even turn over. We heard click in and around the fuse block. So could there be a fuse or relay bad?? Or maybe even the starter itself?? We have tapped on the starter but still nothing. Could it be the fuse to the starter solenoid? Or maybe one of the 3 ASD relays? Any suggestions? I would hugely appreciate the insight. Thank you and have a blessed day. Also, may I ask if I can bench test the stater while it's still mounted??

The only thing electrical I disconnected was the battery and , Iguassu the air flow sensor. That's all reconnected. The starter solenoid has a relay I was thinking maybe that. I think I'm going to pull the starter and bench test it. If the bending pops out and spins, the starters ok. If it doesn't pop out and just spins, the solenoid is bad. If it pops out and don't spin then the motor is bad. Either way I'll have to replace it... if it's good then I'll figure out the fuse or relay or link situation

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only thing electrical I disconnected was the battery and , Iguassu the air flow sensor. That's all reconnected. The starter solenoid has a relay I was thinking maybe that. I think I'm going to pull the starter and bench test it. If the bending pops out and spins, the starters ok. If it doesn't pop out and just spins, the solenoid is bad. If it pops out and don't spin then the motor is bad. Either way I'll have to replace it... if it's good then I'll figure out the fuse or relay or link situation

Its WAY easier to check fuses than pull the starter and do bench testing. Especially if you can hear a noise in your fuse box. Why not do that first?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the old school way to "bench test" a starter is to law a screwdriver across the terminals and jump it
do you have room for that?

but i agree with razor, do the simple stuff first (like, measure the voltage of the battery)

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
I agree it's easier to check the relays and the fuses. I can test the relays with an ohm meter correct??

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
It started and had a code for a bad coil. Not knowing how to pick which one, you replaced them all and the battery. What a can of worms.... It was starting, now it isn't. Work backwards - Is new battery defective? Possible, but not probable. Are your connections correct? Why did you disconnect the MAF? Tell me you didn't leave the plastic caps on the battery posts when you put the cables on.....

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Its WAY easier to check fuses than pull the starter and do bench testing. Especially if you can hear a noise in your fuse box. Why not do that first?
I always get a kick out of people who join a forum to ask for help, then ignore the suggestions and do something else. Not saying the starter isn't the problem, just that pulling the starter isn't the first thing I'd do given the symptoms that were described.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Did you check the battery connections? If they are loose that could cause your issue.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Fine, educate me

How would plugs or ignition coils prevent an engine from turning over?
Mike can defend his own statements...But take a hard look at the OP. There are so many bits of information missing that there is LITERALLY no telling WHAT he's done to get the no-start, and that list can be endless. For all we know, he could have poured gasoline down the intake to prime it, and hydro-locked the damn thing....Yea, ridiculous, but again, take a look at the OP.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mike can defend his own statements...But take a hard look at the OP. There are so many bits of information missing that there is LITERALLY no telling WHAT he's done to get the no-start, and that list can be endless. For all we know, he could have poured gasoline down the intake to prime it, and hydro-locked the damn thing....Yea, ridiculous, but again, take a look at the OP.

my statement was "the only thing on the list" (and that is the list of things the OP told us he had replaced) that can make a truck not turn over is the battery"

i guess, following youre reasoning, the OP could have decided to put in taller sparkplugs to make sure the spark reaches all the way down to the bottom of the cylinder, and now it acts as a TDC stop...that is about the only way i can see an item on that list that is not the battery stopping the engine from turning over, but that would be grasping at straws

Last edited by a moderator: