98 Dodge Coolant Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mwattz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2L
So, I have 1998 Dodge 1500 V8 5.2L and I noticed that it would no longer blow any heat through the vents. I've already eliminated the resistor or the blower being the issue so I figured I would try to replace the thermostat.

The truck has been sitting for 24hrs so the engine was not warm at all and I was removing the bolts from the thermostat housing, radiator fluid started flooding out. So, the top radiator hose had a good amount of coolant sitting in it apparently (is that normal?) because I thought it ls supposed to end up back in the radiator and/or reservoir after it cools down. Then upon further inspection of the coolant coming out, it looks and feels very oily.

So, my first thought was "blown head gasket" BUT there's absolutely ZERO white smoke coming out of the exhaust when running. So if it is a blown head gasket, that would be a little odd wouldn't it? And if it isn't a blown head gasket what else could it be?

Also just the other day I noticed when climbing up 40-50mph the engine starts to sputter like it's not getting enough fuel. Not sure if that's related or if that's just a transmission problem. Which I planned on doing a transmission flush and changing the transmission fluid and filter after I changed the thermostat.

Any ideas what the cause for the oily coolant could be other than a blown head gasket? And could the sputtering be related or is that just the transmission?

Thank you!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find a manual to help you learn some things about your truck. Coolant in upper hose is normal. Oily feel does not nail down anything . In auto parts store they sell a test kit to check for exhaust gases mixed with your coolant , this will let you know if head gaskets are bad. Have you ever changed spark plugs ? How about distributor cap and rotor ? Have you ever checked for codes ?

OP
OP
M

Mwattz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2L
Find a manual to help you learn some things about your truck. Coolant in upper hose is normal. Oily feel does not nail down anything . In auto parts store they sell a test kit to check for exhaust gases mixed with your coolant , this will let you know if head gaskets are bad. Have you ever changed spark plugs ? How about distributor cap and rotor ? Have you ever checked for codes ?

I know a decent amount about vehicles but have a lot to learn obviously lol. I'm going to check out the test kit and duhhh I should've known to check the spark plugs for any signs of a blown gasket. I'll be doing that tonight. And I haven't checked the distributor cap or rotor. And as for codes, is there still a roundabout way to check the codes without a scanner? I.e. Paperclips or the on - off hack with the ignition key and then you get the codes based off the engine light flashing?

Thanks for all your recommendations. It's much appreciated!