A 2019 RAM 1500 (Classic) with V6 as a daily/family driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hi everyone, I am located in Canada and here's my story; I am 38 years old, I am working in IT for 18 years now and I have two kids (8 & 12 y.o.) and my wife. My current vehicle is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan and this is my second Caravan, since I had the opportunity to trade my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan at the dealership (change for change) in 2016 for a much more equipped model for a incredibly low price (remaining stock unit). Now that I drove this Caravan for 3 years and overall that I drove a Caravan for almost 6 years, for me it's the time to look for something else. The main reason why I choose the Grand Caravan at first, back in 2014, it's because it was THE cheapest brand new vehicle that can tow 3500 pounds because I wanted to tow a small camper. Honestly, I can't say that I don't like my Grand Caravan, since honestly this is still in my mind, the "best bang for buck" on the market if you look at a large vehicle as well. Now, the reason why I want to give up on minivans is because of the lack of an AWD option and because I live in the great north Canada, where the winter a freezing cold and last like 8 months per year. Only the Toyota Sienna is still featuring AWD, but it's way over my budget.

My first idea was to trade the Caravan for a mid-sized 7-passenger SUV such as the Kia Sorento V6 AWD or the Nissan Pathfinder S V6 AWD. Which are both roughly 38K$ in Canada (CAD$) brand new. Both feature a 5000 pounds towing capacity (in fact the Pathfinder is even rated to 6000 pounds). But honestly I have some doubt regarding the space for the passengers and I think I am right to think that the 3rd row is barely usable for small children and not intended for adults. In fact, my daughter which is 12 years old is already 5'5" (remember she's 12 y.o.!) and I am pretty sure she will fit very tight/bad in the 3rd row in a few years.

So after visiting my Chrysler dealership for regular maintenance on the Grand Caravan, I looked at the 2019 RAM 1500 Classic, which is basically the old and well-known generation and who currently has a MAJOR rebate of 17,000$ CAD over MSRP (25% OFF MSRP). So currently I am looking at a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic, 3.6L V6, CrewCab, 5.7 box, 4x4, SXT Plus Tradesman with all of the optional groups (chrome groups, 20-inch wheels, 8.4 Uconnect system, towing pack, 3.55 axles, rear locking diff, remote start, cold weather groups, premium interior, etc.) for 38K$ CAD! With this model, I am keeping the 1st row BENCH seat, so that I keep a 6-passenger seating capacity, which is only 1 person under my Grand Caravan and this is exactly what we are needing. Then the reason why I specifically look at the 3.6L V6 is because it will be my daily driver and I have absolutely no interest for the HEMI since my camper is only weighting 2000 pounds! The RAM 1500 Crew 4x4 with the 3.55 axle is rated to 7200 pounds towing capacity with is WAY over our needs. Also in Canada the equivalent of the US "Gas Guzzler" tax for the HEMI needs to be paid YEARLY and it's very expensive (it's around 275$-300$ PER year). Compared to a mid-sized SUV, the RAM 1500 rear bench is like a living room, 3 adults can sit extremely fine and it's pretty much the same for the front bench seat, so a total of 6 adults can site comfortably, which is NOT the case at all for a mid-sized SUV. Front seats are good, second row is acceptable, but 3rd row is mediocre as well...

I also need to specify that this is not our only vehicle in the driveway, it'll be MY daily driver for going to work (a tiny 9 miles per day), but we also have a super-loaded 2018 Hyundai Elantra who does 38 mpg in CITY. Based on EPA ratings, the RAM 1500 V6 is at rated only 1 mpg under in the city that the Grand Caravan and pretty much identical MPG rating on the highway. So except if for some reason it's ********, I don't feel uncomfortable with gas mileage.

However, I would like to discuss about this idea with current people that are using a RAM 1500. I just want to know if you ever regret it for some reason or if you have any major cons to expose that I could forget...

Thank you so much! :)

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could have found a 3.6/8spd in my price range, that's what I'd be driving now. If you like it, I'd say buy it.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Go for it. I have a 16 v6 crew cab. Two car seats in the rear and all my tools in the back when needed. I also have a fiberglass bed cover. Mpg is great better than my wife's 16 odyssey by 4-5 mpg. It does everything better than a similar suv or mid-size pickup like Colorado, Tacoma or ridgleline. Not sure why people even buy those things except for their smaller dimensions. Mpg is on par or better with the ram v6 plus you have the extra room for people and cargo.

The ride is also better than most trucks unloaded. Most people who don't use a third row. Would be better serve with this setup IMHO.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '19 Classic quad cab with the V6 and 3.55 and yes, it is my daily driver. I have no regrets. Gas mileage is excellent and improving (I only have 5k on the odometer) and the V6 is quite impressive when towing. It's not a Hemi, but it isn't meant to be. I would buy the V6 again without hesitation.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Umm what province are you in that has a yearly gas guzzler tax?

Either way you should be able to get it even cheaper since sales have slowed down a bit since march, I ended up at 33% under MSRP without trying.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 17 RCSB 3.6. I've had it 15 months now, already has 42k miles. I bought it new. Needless to say, it is a daily driver, and great at it!

Do I miss my old Cruze's 38 mpg, yes. But at 25 mpg, but more comfortable and bigger, I'm more than happy.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Umm what province are you in that has a yearly gas guzzler tax?

Either way you should be able to get it even cheaper since sales have slowed down a bit since march, I ended up at 33% under MSRP without trying.

I am in Quebec, so yes the taxes are much different than Ontario. My father-in-law is owning a 2017 RAM 1500 Express with the HEMI and I talked with him yesterday and extra taxes on his yearly licence plates are +275$/y in addition to the base yearly fees of 350$/y. So can you imagine... it's 625$/y for licences plate on a HEMI in Quebec. It's insane...

And it's good to know about the extra discount. I am a returning customer from long date with my local Chrysler dealer and it's like with my Grand Caravan, they gave me like 4000$ extra rebate over the 15,000$ manufacturer rebate and they also gave me many extras such as winter tires/rims (mandatory in Quebec), trailer hitch, brake controller and 7-way wiring and they also gave me a 5y/100K KM full extended warranty for free. That was in 2016 when I purchased my Grand Caravan. I am confident that they will be that much generous with a RAM 1500 :)

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ouch remind me never to move to QC lol

Sales have been slowing down since March so you shouldn't have to fight too hard for a good deal.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pickup trucks are the new family hauler and grocery getters my friend.

I have a lifted Ram with a Hemi and 3.92 gears (least fuel efficient) and have no complaints whatsoever. so you'll be fine with the V6 and a short commute.

I am commuting 40 minutes a day one way (mostly highway).

The available room in the trucks is unbelievable. You'll never go back to a minivan.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
May I ask you what would be the great options to order with a V6 4x4 from factory? Most of options are obvious, such as 8.4 display, etc. But for some other options I am not sure if they worth it or not, such as :

- Is it really convenient with the V6 to have the larger fuel tank? (it's a +250$ CAD option)
- What about the limited slip differential, is it convenient when it's a 4x4? (it's a +250$ CAD option)
- I assume that the 3.55 optional diff ratio (over the 3.21) is definitely mandatory with the V6 for towing capacity? (it's only a +125$ CAD option)
- What about the "protection" package which is an under carriage shielding? (it's a +250$ CAD option)

They are not very expensive options as well, but all together it's nearly a 1000$ extra.

Some other options are obviously overpriced such as the side steps for 750$ CAD, when you can find amazing aftermarket for 400-500$ CAD or even some factory'alike for 250$ CAD. Same for the tonneau cover... dealer ask like 600$ CAD for a soft tri-fold cover... when you have similar ones for 260$ CAD online.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May I ask you what would be the great options to order with a V6 4x4 from factory? Most of options are obvious, such as 8.4 display, etc. But for some other options I am not sure if they worth it or not, such as :

- Is it really convenient with the V6 to have the larger fuel tank? (it's a +250$ CAD option)
- What about the limited slip differential, is it convenient when it's a 4x4? (it's a +250$ CAD option)
- I assume that the 3.55 optional diff ratio (over the 3.21) is definitely mandatory with the V6 for towing capacity? (it's only a +125$ CAD option)
- What about the "protection" package which is an under carriage shielding? (it's a +250$ CAD option)

They are not very expensive options as well, but all together it's nearly a 1000$ extra.

Some other options are obviously overpriced such as the side steps for 750$ CAD, when you can find amazing aftermarket for 400-500$ CAD or even some factory'alike for 250$ CAD. Same for the tonneau cover... dealer ask like 600$ CAD for a soft tri-fold cover... when you have similar ones for 260$ CAD online.

I've got the larger tank because of my commute. I don't think it's necessary with the short commute you have.

I have the limited slip differential. I think that the benefits outweigh the cons.
https://oards.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-limited-slip-differential/

I have the 3.92 gears. For you with the V6, I definitely opt for the 3.55 gears. Just my opinion.

The under carriage plating is unnecessary unless you're going to be doing off roading with your truck. I didn't bother with it.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've got the larger tank because of my commute. I don't think it's necessary with the short commute you have.

I have the limited slip differential. I think that the benefits outweigh the cons.
https://oards.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-limited-slip-differential/

I have the 3.92 gears. For you with the V6, I definitely opt for the 3.55 gears. Just my opinion.

The under carriage plating is unnecessary unless you're going to be doing off roading with your truck. I didn't bother with it.

Got it! Thank you very much. I love your side steps BTW, I prefer them over those flat chrome or black tubular steps :cool:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
get the limited slip, with the crap winters you get, you will love it. paired with a good set of snow tires, damn near unstoppable.
personally, I would opt for the larger fuel tank, I make a trip every year from Ontario to New Brunswick, but even my short daily drives, it's just less stops for gas.
get a spray in liner, and have them finance in a better set of 3 season or A/T tires....oem GY sra are junk.
the led bed lights are very handy

don't bother with side steps, tonneau or hitch. aftermarket is cheaper and more /better options

get a vinyl floor, the one thing i would change in mine...carpet doesn't belong in trucks.... especially in Canada.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
get the limited slip, with the crap winters you get, you will love it. paired with a good set of snow tires, damn near unstoppable.
personally, I would opt for the larger fuel tank, I make a trip every year from Ontario to New Brunswick, but even my short daily drives, it's just less stops for gas.
get a spray in liner, and have them finance in a better set of 3 season or A/T tires....oem GY sra are junk.
the led bed lights are very handy

don't bother with side steps, tonneau or hitch. aftermarket is cheaper and more /better options

get a vinyl floor, the one thing i would change in mine...carpet doesn't belong in trucks.... especially in Canada.

Good point for the larger fuel tank. I'll also take care to negotiate a nice pair of winter tires, rims (and TPMS). Since winter tires are mandatory by law in Quebec, the dealership almost always include tires/rims package on every new vehicle sold as soon as you enter in the showroom. When I purchased my 2018 Hyundai Elantra they left a set of winter tire/rims in the trunk and I almost didn't ask for. However as for the summer tire, I'll try to get better summer tires too. It remembers me my first Dodge Grand Caravan in 2014. I was very happy when I saw that it comes with Yokomaha factory tires, but I was rapidly very upset to discover that after only 20,000 KM done, the factory Yokohama were 90% worn. It's the first time I have to pay for new tires on a 1 year old vehicle! So when I traded the 2014 Caravan for the 2016, I asked for free better tires and they put me Michelin Defender and after 50,000 KM done (on summer), they are now even 50% worn, they are they most durable summer tires on the planet. I think their UTQG rating is 800 AA. :eek:

I think my choice is done for a Classic Tradesman, 4x4, V6 , Crew Cab, Short box. The Tradesman model already include extras such as chrome appearance package, 20 in chrome wheels, spray-in bed-liner a few more goodies, then I'll add the technology package (8.4 uConnect, SXM, digital cluster, etc.), towing package (mirror, brake, etc), "polar" package (heated seats, steering, remote start, etc.) and 3.55 ratio, large fuel tank, LSD and bed lights. I am not a huge fan of chrome, but the "blackout" or sport appearance package is not available on the Classic Tradesman and the next model in the line is over my budget.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
you should be very happy with it, i don't really tow, just a quad in the box (600lbs) or on my little 5x7 utility trailer .... possibly a second quad, one in box, one on trailer. The v6 is plenty for that, and fuel economy has been great, i'l averaging 11 to 11.2L/100km. that over the 6000km i've put on it since purchase mid April.

unless you love chrome (I hate it) , get the midnight/blackout package

if they can't help you with summer tires, go online, pmctire.com is right in Serbrooke, free/low shipping in QC, and 4tires.ca low shpping cost but better prices than pmc. i picked up a set of falken wild peak at3w for 900ish o my door. (sever winter rated too mountain/snowflake). great tires for all year. had a set on my f150 and loved thm.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Here's the conclusion guys :

After almost an ENTIRE day visit at the dealer, we found that stock in the entire province/state was EXTREMELY low on V6 crew cab. There's pretty good stock for quad cab, but V6 crew are one of the hottest seller of the brand, so because of the 25% OFF MSRP, the stock where incredibly low. So I was forced to make some concessions on some options, but the final price was simply incredible.

I finally ended with a blue streak pearl 2019 RAM 1500 Classic SXT, 4X4, Crew Cab, V6 with these options/packages:

- 3.55 axle ratio (mandatory for towing...)
- SXT Plus package (20 inch chrome wheels, chrome appearance group (bumper, etc.))
- Technology package (8.4 Uconnect, SiriusXM Guardian, 7in LCD gauge cluster, automatic A/C)
- Factory Class-4 hitch
- Factory spray-in bedliner

Then, dealer added some extra for me for free (aftermarket) :

- 4 winter tires + 4 sport steel wheels + 4 TPMS
- Remote starter (plug & play aftermarket system, no wire splicing)

Windows sticker for this truck is 54,510$ CAD, price paid is 36,800$ CAD, which is a 33% rebate over MSRP, but even more if you consider free extras above (a near 2000$ value).

PLUS, they give me a promotional interest rate of 2.99% for financing, instead of the regular rate of 3.99% in Canada. It's not huge, but is a few extra bucks rebate at the end of entire loan.

In conclusion, the options I have to gave up are the "towing package", but it's not a big deal since hitch is already on the truck and brake controller is pre-wired and cost under 100$ and install in 10 minutes or so. Since I only own a small pop-up camper, I don't really need towing mirror. Another option I had to give up is the "cold weather package", which is heated seat and remote start, however the dealer gave me a free aftermarket remote starter.

The truck is on transit now (from another dealer 200 KM away), then they need to install the remote start and make the base prep, so it should be ready for pick up by the end of next week!

Immediately upon delivery of the truck (probably even before), I really need to order a tonneau cover and some side steps, because my 8 years old son is definitely not able to enter the truck without it! LOL

Last edited: