A/C leak on 2011 Dodge Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivas55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L.
I have an A/C leak somewhere on my 2011 Ram that I cannot seem to find. When I add Freon to the system it blows cold for a good amount of time but then it leaks out somewhere and starts blowing warm air again. I did a vacuum test on it and the test failed , indicating I have a leak somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I even did a dye test on the system, shooting dye through the entire system but still was not able to see dye leaking out of anywhere. I replaced the shrader valves anyway as a quick fix but of course this did not work either. I'm kind of thinking a Evaporator leak that I can't see because it's underneath the dash. What do you guys think?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have used the dye in the system, they make bore scopes you can use with a smartphone, tablet or computer to look into the HVAC system. They're fairly cheap online/Amazon.
The alternativewould be to check auto part stores if they loan out refrigeration leak detectors, anything decent will cost $$$$ to buy.
It probably is in the evaporator but check the connections on the compressor and double check the condenser(coil in front of the radiator). Use a soap bubble spray on leak detector, have the system charged with refrigerant.

OP
OP
R

Rivas55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L.
I did check the condenser coil in front of the radiator and did not see any dye at all with my UV light whenever I did the dye test on it.
I will check on the bore scope you can use with a smartphone, thanks for that idea!

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
My 2012 has developed the same problem. Charge the system, works for a while (about a week and a half) then no cooling. Since it's been comfortably cool for a couple of months I just unplugged the compressor so I didn't accidentally run it on a dry system. Bad things happen when you keep doing that. Seized up the compressor in my Bronco doing that. When I get ready to find the leak, I'm using dye and nitrogen instead of freon. Heck of a lot cheaper and eco friendly.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the drain tube on the firewall with your blacklight.If the evap. is leaking the dye will show there.