A/C question and advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Admittedly, I am not an expert on air conditioning. I have a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 4.7L. It started developing an odd behavior this summer. When I start it up I get good cold air, after I drive a couple miles it will go warm and every so often I hear this rattling sound from under the passenger side dash board. My wife was in the truck with me a few weeks and she jokingly said there’s a snake in there :)
That kind of gives you an idea as to the sound. I’ve never heard a noise like that in a vehicle! After it goes warm if I turn it off and back on it will blow cold again for a minute or so and then back to warm. If I let it run it will go back to cold for a short while, then warm, then cold, etc.

What should I test or what are my diagnostic steps here?

Thanks,
Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
sounds like you may have a bad low/high switch, or you are low on freon and the line is freezing over.

Turn the truck on, open hood, ac on full blast, on passenger fender side, should be an ac line that runs into your truck cab, if it turns frosty frozen looking, that is freezing over.

Also, you do not have a 4.7l Dodge ram 1500 in 1999, it is either a 3.9l v6, a 5.2l v8 or a 5.9l v8, or your truck year / model is incorrect.