A lot wrong in year 1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BakedMech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All,

I just rolled over my first year with my 21 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 Crew Cab. It has 317 Engine hours and 7,542 Km. I obviously don't drive a whole lot. I have experienced more issues with this Truck then any other vehicle and want to see if this if normal for the Truck or should I be worried. To be clear I love my Truck I am just worried about the problems:

Tailgate would not close due to improper assembly. Replaced Bushing.
Center Console Broke and needed to be replaced. Apparently Assembly issue.
Front Bumper assembled incorrectly. Causing damage between upper and lower bumpers. Awaiting approval for fix from Chrysler.
Exhaust manifold bolt broken. Covered under warranty.

Appreciate any input!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup poor quality. I Am going on two years and doubt i will own it a third year. I have had more issues with this truck than any other vehicle I have ever owned and I have been buying new vehicles since the 70's. I had 4 new wranglers from 2012 thru 2018 and those were supposed to be troublesome lol. most of complaints tho have been with the dealer service department. I don't mind so much that there are issues what bugs me is that they don't seem interested in taking care of them.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm 1 month shy of 5 years with just over 40,000 miles, no problems. If they fix everything under warranty then you'll be good to go. The only issue that might come back is the manifold bolts.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is the opposite, very few issues.

Is rare for an exhaust manifold bolt to break so early though.
The rest is small stuff that normally doesn't happen and shouldn't happen again after being taken care of.

I find sitting a lot to be hard on vehicles, especially if they sit outside all of the time - like mine does.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all manufacturing. Chevy interior just falls apart. Ford trucks eat turbos and intercoolers.. everything is just disposable anymore.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a mass produced vehicle it's hard to say what problems it could have. In my opinion I think the "Classic" models are thrown together using up left over stockpile of parts and they don't particularly care about the quality as they've been making the 5th gen trucks for a few years now. It's not new to have a year of overlap, but it seems odd to me that they are making 4th gen trucks still when it's been this long since the release of the 5th gen.

However, I will say I haven't had many "problems" with mine. Also keeping in mind that mine is now 6 years old with just shy of 100k miles. I've had some things that needed fixed but nothing I couldn't deal with on my own. Although my key fob is getting on my nerves. That might require a trip to the dealership.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Almost 12 months for mine. Have two/three small issues. Head light switch was bad.
Issue with passenger speakers. Rest I broke myself off-roading.
Otherwise mine has been good. Oh there was large bolt under the driver seat bouncing around.

I push my truck hard.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My former '15 2500 5.7 had about 12 recalls during the six years/~60K miles I owned it, and they also replaced the harmonic balancer under warranty within the first year (was coming apart), plus broken exhaust studs, etc. Never broke down on me or left me stranded anywhere, though.

I liked the truck enough that I came back to the well. I'm coming up on my first year and ~15K miles with my '21 Classic 4x4 Tradesman 3.6, and have had no recalls and zero problems with the truck.

es

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've owned several new cars/trucks over the years......Rams...Mercedes....Chevy....Mazda...Honda.....haven't had one not have some sort of issue.....just the way it is. My current Ram will be 3 yrs old come November....24,600 miles.... had a ANC issue.....loose tailgate strap issue.....a missing rubber gasket between the cab and bed issue and a rear brake noice issue.....all have been fixed under warrenty. Love the truck but......all makes have issues.....if someone says they don't.....they are either not telling the truth or ignoring their problems....maybe both. Good luck.....get em fixed under warrenty....enjoy your truck.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd give it another year and see how it goes. I've had a honda that had a few annoying issues in the first year but was great for 4 more years with only brakes and tires needed. Had a Chevy that was nonstop issues for all 3 years of warranty... and I dumped it soon after warranty expired. Most of my cars have needed something under warranty on the first year... usually minor things.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my Ram because I stay away from GM, didn’t want a Ford with the ecoboost stuff, Tundra was too pricy, and Nissan wouldn’t deal at all. So, I bought the Ram, simple ohv v8, not real plush but nice, smooth ride, and reasonable mpg….better than my son’s ecoboost.
It does everything I need but I don’t work it too hard….just a daily driver with occasional hauling….wish I bought a 6.5’ bed. Ugh.

Anyway, it’s all plastic, rattles all the time, top of steering wheel cover came lose and I had to glue it back on. Brackets broke on rear seat cover….more glue. Chrome peeled off on running boards, ground off the crap, and sprayed them with black bedliner paint… look great.

Overall it’s built pretty cheap, but they all are today. Electronics are a bit flaky sometimes but turning it off and back on has cured all ills so far….expecting future issues.

Would I buy another Ram? Nope. Not impressed enough to be interested in it.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Some folks will have issues and some will have none.

I've owned many Dodge/RAM trucks and other than a minor problem corrected under warranty or by myself they have performed well.

The "other brands" are not without issues and I'm sure their owners are just as annoyed and "ain't ever gonna buy another one of these pieces of junk ever again".

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to buy another RAM ... but I'm going to keep my current RAM as it has been trouble free for the last five years with 42k miles.

Have the repairs done while it's still under warranty and enjoy your truck for many more miles.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2019 ram classic,5.7 L engine 4x4,in March 2020 with 7 km on it,so far so good,engine developed a tick at 25.000km ,but the pennzoil 5w20 semisynthetic oil and mopar oil filter kill the tick ,I am at 41.000km and no other issues,run very smooth, this truck fulfils my expectations fully,the only risk is,the very well know hemi tick,my come back to me in the future or not,no one know the answer,but as today,no problems.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2015 Ram 1500 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD 8SPD 3.21

Bone stock, had 28,600 miles in Sept. of '17, has 148,800 miles now.

Had recalls done at 45k miles

Tires at 88k, nearing due for new.

Replaced headlamp switch, leak detction pump, gas cap.

Original battery @90k miles

Exhaust manifold bolts and sanded manifolds at about 100k miles

New trans pan, fluid drain and fill, pcv valve, spark plugs, rear diff drain and fill, front and rear brake pads, coolant, brake fluid, also around 100k miles.

Air filter at recommended intervals.

Oil changes every 10K miles.

Very happy with my Ram so far.

Last edited:

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All vehicles have issues, it comes down to your ability to either fix it (permanent) or repair it (temporary)

Gluing a steering wheel cover back on is a good example.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2019 ram classic,5.7 L engine 4x4,in March 2020 with 7 km on it,so far so good,engine developed a tick at 25.000km ,but the pennzoil 5w20 semisynthetic oil and mopar oil filter kill the tick ,I am at 41.000km and no other issues,run very smooth, this truck fulfils my expectations fully,the only risk is,the very well know hemi tick,my come back to me in the future or not,no one know the answer,but as today,no problems.
I would change oil to full synthetic PUP 5W 20 and run a good synthetic filter, but that is me. I have the heat issue here, so looks like next change going to 5W 30 for bit more upper end protection (viscosity/heat), since thermometer does not want to drop under 100 degrees in the afternoon, lol.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All vehicles have issues, if comes down to your ability to either fix it (permanent) or repair it (temporary)

Gluing a steering wheel cover back on is a good example.
You said a mouthful. Toyota has imploding turbos right now, chevy has motors imploding, Ford the turbo issue and some trans problems, we got the Infamous Hemi tick and mds issues, yup all brands do. I have been fortunate,. Just had recalls done, and the TSB for the sorry performing AC, which only helped a lil. Currently waiting on new E Fan from dealer, to replace my fan in my truck (ordered 1 Feb, lol, arrival 2025??? )

But as long as go outside, push button, get some vroom, AC/Heat/Radio, point A to B to A, be good.

turk helmut drive.JPG