A Ram 1500 without a Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolafishr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Just go with the Hemi, you would rather have too much Truck then not enough- it is like having sex you would rather have too much then not enough LOL !

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

James Kratzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Love the Hemi sound and power! Get one and never go back to a V6. That is all.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well good for you slacadjuster!

Not the first time they've said basically that exact same thing, unless someone else said the exact same thing before, verbatim. With a purchase this big, I'd prefer to have all the information I possibly could, including owner feedback. So I think people should ask such things, maybe the only thing I see you could have done differently is searched for the topic as I believe it's been brought up a few times before already (probably where I've seen slacadjuster's posts before).

WillB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the Pentastar - you will be happy in more ways than one.

Hi everyone. So I'm having a dilemma in making a decision. Not sure if I need advice or just need to vent. Anyway, so I'm going to be getting my first truck soon. Now I've been a mopar guy all my life as far as classic cars go. I've had a '67 Dodge Dart, a '68 Plymouth Satellite, and a '72 Duster. But this will be my first truck ever and I know it's going to be a shock with gas cost and whatnot since my current car gets 32 mpg. Now if it was any other brand I would not hesitate to get a 6 cylinder but I feel it's almost sacrilegious not to get a hemi in a Ram. Just to make it clear, I have no current need or future plans to tow anything.
So there is my quandary; either I risk almost certain ridicule and get a Ram with a v6 or I deal with the higher cost of lower mpg and get a hemi. Anyone want to chime in? Have at it. :)

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the first time they've said basically that exact same thing, unless someone else said the exact same thing before, verbatim. With a purchase this big, I'd prefer to have all the information I possibly could, including owner feedback. So I think people should ask such things, maybe the only thing I see you could have done differently is searched for the topic as I believe it's been brought up a few times before already (probably where I've seen slacadjuster's posts before).

I did search the forums but found nothing that gave me any kind of satisfaction. I've been a new member of other forums and I've been on many of them long enough to become a senior member and when a new member asks a question, whether it be a new one or a much discussed topic other members usually help the newbie. When more members berate the newbies question for whatever reason, (and I've seen it many times), tends more often than not to send those newer members somewhere else. Not a good thing for a forum. Anyway, I'll excuse slacadjusters comment because it's not worth my time.
It may have not been a question he would have asked but 4 pages of responses tells me it was a engaging question and isn't that what a forum is about; spurring discussion?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did search the forums but found nothing that gave me any kind of satisfaction. I've been a new member of other forums and I've been on many of them long enough to become a senior member and when a new member asks a question, whether it be a new one or a much discussed topic other members usually help the newbie. When more members berate the newbies question for whatever reason, (and I've seen it many times), tends more often than not to send those newer members somewhere else. Not a good thing for a forum. Anyway, I'll excuse slacadjusters comment because it's not worth my time.
It may have not been a question he would have asked but 4 pages of responses tells me it was a engaging question and isn't that what a forum is about; spurring discussion?

I agree, didn't really find the comment necessary either, and you are correct it created plenty of conversation and good information at 9 pages now. In general though this forum is friendly and helpful in my experience.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, I'm a big boy. I make my own decisions
I am too...but my wife:Nonono: still told me I had to keep my payment around $300....So I got the Hemi, and said the heck with the hands free, keyless entry, leather......... I love my truck.
PS. I have added keyless, and most think my vinyl looks like leather.
As for the compensating for something... Dang right:banana-mario:, nearly 50, 2nd new vehicle ever (1st was a minivan for wife), she got jewelry as an early 25th anniversary gift... I got a truck with a HEMI....:jester:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, I'm a big boy. I make my own decisions

Ever make one you regretted because you didn't research it enough? Asking others experiences counts as research. I'll admit I've made some purchases before without doing my homework and had regrets later, thankfully they weren't purchases for anything near the price of these trucks. That being said with something this expensive I think it's wise to ask others what they think is better and why, and you can make your decision from there like the OP did.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am too...but my wife:Nonono: still told me I had to keep my payment around $300....So I got the Hemi, and said the heck with the hands free, keyless entry, leather......... I love my truck.
PS. I have added keyless, and most think my vinyl looks like leather.
As for the compensating for something... Dang right:banana-mario:, nearly 50, 2nd new vehicle ever (1st was a minivan for wife), she got jewelry as an early 25th anniversary gift... I got a truck with a HEMI....:jester:

Nice job. LOL, as long as ya got the Hemi.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ever make one you regretted because you didn't research it enough? Asking others experiences counts as research. I'll admit I've made some purchases before without doing my homework and had regrets later, thankfully they weren't purchases for anything near the price of these trucks. That being said with something this expensive I think it's wise to ask others what they think is better and why, and you can make your decision from there like the OP did.

Not sure what you're on about, regardless of what someone else thinks. If I was going to buy a vehicle, I'd be buying it for me. NOT asking a bunch of guys on a forum. I'd be thinking about the options I need, don't need. What "level" of truck, (i.e., HD, or not). What color, trim package, etc.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what you're on about, regardless of what someone else thinks. If I was going to buy a vehicle, I'd be buying it for me. NOT asking a bunch of guys on a forum. I'd be thinking about the options I need, don't need. What "level" of truck, (i.e., HD, or not). What color, trim package, etc.

That's great for you, most other people like to get as much information as possible before such a big purchase, and that includes getting real life feedback from owners. What I don't see a point in, is taking time out of your day to belittle someone for that just because that's not your style. Surely you have better things to do with your time, I would hope.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Late I know as it appears OP is getting a Hemi. i don't look down on a smaller 8 or a 6 cylinder option, but in my neck of the woods (ALberta is Canadian truck country) a Ram with a Hemi I'm told by many here, has much better resale. Plus as had been said, for the minor mileage difference I went with the power of the Hemi. It helps me drive sanely to get reasonable gas mileage:).

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's great for you, most other people like to get as much information as possible before such a big purchase, and that includes getting real life feedback from owners. What I don't see a point in, is taking time out of your day to belittle someone for that just because that's not your style. Surely you have better things to do with your time, I would hope.

LOL, just my comment about people that can't even think for themselves. Do you ask people when you should eat??

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, just my comment about people that can't even think for themselves. Do you ask people when you should eat??

No, but eating doesn't cost me $35,000 either. If eating did cost that much, I'd ask the person having the meal I was thinking about buying, if it was worth it or not. Call me crazy.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No, but eating doesn't cost me $35,000 either. If eating did cost that much, I'd ask the person having the meal I was thinking about buying, if it was worth it or not. Call me crazy.

Crazy, dumb, duufus, mentally unstable. Whichever. If I'm buying a vehicle of any sort. I'm buying it for me, not what a bunch of guys on a forum think. Or anybody for that matter.
I've got my eyes on a Plum Crazy Purple Hellcat...guess what?? A few people have told me that I'm crazy for buying that color....again, guess what?? I could give a fig what they or anybody else thinks. I'm buying it for ME.