A Thought On Power Wagon Towing Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Same can be said about payload. I’m not sure what people are wanting to put in their bed that weighs more than 1500 lbs. If I need to haul 3,000 in the bed it’s going to be with a flat bed and loaded with a fork lift. When I fill my bed completely full of feed/seed, only about 1200 lbs will even fit. So these shorter bed 1/2 tons that have a higher payload I cannot imagine what would be 2,000 lbs and even fit. Maybe if you put 4 overweight men in the cab and filled the bed with bowling balls!
I push the payload some times with bags of concrete or lumber but I could always pull a trailer and never miss a beat.

FD203A21-CE6D-4489-9113-1A4FD5C58997.jpeg

889C5600-7FCC-47EB-BD7F-F5D9711914E0.jpeg

90D2D123-F7EE-4BC8-9227-40A001CA5749.jpeg

6E26570F-6864-40B7-A3CB-3A98AF4AE9BC.jpeg

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Same can be said about payload. I’m not sure what people are wanting to put in their bed that weighs more than 1500 lbs. If I need to haul 3,000 in the bed it’s going to be with a flat bed and loaded with a fork lift. When I fill my bed completely full of feed/seed, only about 1200 lbs will even fit. So these shorter bed 1/2 tons that have a higher payload I cannot imagine what would be 2,000 lbs and even fit. Maybe if you put 4 overweight men in the cab and filled the bed with bowling balls!

50 forty pound bags of wood pellets fit easily within the bed with none above the sides.

What I don't do with my Power Wagon...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_hkVogirm/

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Website says it can be removed in 10 minutes.Think this is accurate? How long to reinstall the second time?
Yes it is possible if you hustle. It’s only 4 bolts. Just as easy putting it back on. The only reason the first time takes 45 minutes is because the latch and locks lose so you can adjust them to your truck (extra 8 bolt to tighten) then they stay put and you don’t mess with them again. I carried 20 sheets of plywood once and when I got to the job site 2 men climbed up top and passed them up to me on the roof.

For all the gear I carry in my bed (especially during hunting season) I need to haul on top and this is the best way without pulling a trailer every time.

644CBD2A-2744-4202-B276-E67FF09ECC13.jpeg

3519941B-B715-4E7F-9567-DC5B4E5A33E0.jpeg

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
50 forty pound bags of wood pellets fit easily within the bed with none above the sides.

What I don't do with my Power Wagon...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_hkVogirm/
Think some beer drinking was involved the bus recovery! Surprised you got 50 bags of pellets back there. Guessing the pellets had been pressed to make compact. Did the PW handle fine? Mine does so well with 1200 lbs in bed that I don’t use tow/haul mode but I’m not a mile up like you.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is possible if you hustle. It’s only 4 bolts. Just as easy putting it back on. The only reason the first time takes 45 minutes is because the latch and locks lose so you can adjust them to your truck (extra 8 bolt to tighten) then they stay put and you don’t mess with them again. I carried 20 sheets of plywood once and when I got to the job site 2 men climbed up top and passed them up to me on the roof.

For all the gear I carry in my bed (especially during hunting season) I need to haul on top and this is the best way without pulling a trailer every time.

View attachment 193742

View attachment 193743
I could see where that’s handy.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Think some beer drinking was involved the bus recovery! Surprised you got 50 bags of pellets back there. Guessing the pellets had been pressed to make compact. Did the PW handle fine? Mine does so well with 1200 lbs in bed that I don’t use tow/haul mode but I’m not a mile up like you.

50 bags of Heartland Wood Pellets in the back and 10 in the rear of the cab. Heartland punctures their plastic bags with holes so that they can lay flat. Have done this for 3 winter seasons with four loads of 60 bag pallets per season. Drive up a mile in elevation and then back down the same over the nearly 11,000 foot summit of the Grand Mesa. Handles just fine and rides entirely level on the Load Range E tires. If one looked at the truck it doesn't sag from a 2,400 lb load. Can't state the same for handling on the Load Range D Duratrac tires.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4423-grand-mesa-summit.html

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say that the factory payload and towing capacities are pretty conservative. Not condoning running out and putting 3,000 lbs. in the bed of your PW and then running 80 mph down the freeway, but manufacturers would open themselves up to huge liability issues if they put those capacities right up against the true failure or "unsafe" point on the vehicles. Growing up in a farming community and working for a small construction company back when I was in school I have seen this first hand many, many times. Never once saw a farmer say "wow, that's a couple hundred pounds above my truck's max payload capacity so better not load it in the bed". What is the old saying.."if it fits, it ships...".

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say that the factory payload and towing capacities are pretty conservative. Not condoning running out and putting 3,000 lbs. in the bed of your PW and then running 80 mph down the freeway, but manufacturers would open themselves up to huge liability issues if they put those capacities right up against the true failure or "unsafe" point on the vehicles. Growing up in a farming community and working for a small construction company back when I was in school I have seen this first hand many, many times. Never once saw a farmer say "wow, that's a couple hundred pounds above my truck's max payload capacity so better not load it in the bed". What is the old saying.."if it fits, it ships...".
You “ain’t kidding”. Had a farmer cut hay on my farm and load 16 full size round bales on trailer behind a 3/4 ton Duramax. Those bales averaged about 1500 a piece. Probably 10,000 lbs over weight as it was 05 model.
Had another farm show up at my office with a 1/2 truck with large gooseneck trailer behind it. He knew a guy that would install the bed hitch for him and he towed a bunch of stuff that scared me to know he was on the road. I asked if he has ever been stopped and he said he was stopped once for not having the tractor on the trailer braced down. It was just parked on there with the parking brake on! He was “taking it to town to have it worked on.”

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another comment is I don't think a lot of people understand how big of a trailer 10,000 lbs. can be. And also that a lot of people making negative comments don't tow a heavy trailer anyways, and maybe have never towed a trailer period!

In regards to a bumper pull camper trailer, a 10,000 lb. version getting to be pretty big trailer. You are getting into the 35'+ range with multiple slide outs.

You're absolutely right, especially today with all the 'ultra light' trailers out there - you can get 34-35' TTs that weigh less than 7k empty and have less than 700 lbs of hitch weight. So it's a pretty big trailer for what it weighs.

In retrospect, 35' TTs just ten years ago tipped the scales closer to 7k with NO slides.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're absolutely right, especially today with all the 'ultra light' trailers out there - you can get 34-35' TTs that weigh less than 7k empty and have less than 700 lbs of hitch weight. So it's a pretty big trailer for what it weighs.

In retrospect, 35' TTs just ten years ago tipped the scales closer to 7k with NO slides.

My ‘16 jayco 28bhbe is 7000 pounds empty.... probably 9000 by the time my wife gets done packing for the trip.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As much as I loved the way my SRW Ram 3500 towed. My Power wagon will handle 80% of all my normal towing. Once you take care of the rear sagging due to the soft springs the PW does great.