ABS and Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krbirke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The RAM service department just told me that after spending $4500 to fix my Air Suspension System that because the ABS needs repairs, that my be the reason my air suspension is still having issues.

A little background: I got the immediate repair needed warning for the air suspension. I brought it into the Dodge dealer service department and they said not enough voltage to the air system because my battery was bad. So I bought a new battery. Well two days later. Got the warning again about the air suspension. I brought it back to the service department and after two weeks they couldn’t replicate the problem. But suggested it could be the control module. So i drove my vehicle for a little while all the while still having the Sam issue. I started driving my wife’s car to prevent further issues

I brought it back and they said I needed $4000 of repairs to air suspension and $3200 of repairs for ABS. So I got the air suspension fixed (so I thought) because they said not having a working ABS would be no problem.

How convenient is it that even though they didn’t fix the air suspension that another $3200 repair to the ABS might be the fix to my air suspension woes

Any thoughts

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealers do lie to customers often, and care must be used anytime you have contact with one of them. After their guess on the battery proved wrong ,that should have been the warning bell to find another mechanic.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you spent too much money on an old truck, already. Another 3200 isn't going to make you happy, it's just going to bury you in loss. It looks like they are just throwing parts at it...

zrock

Reaction score
their fancy computer should have told them what the issue was... they have not fixed the air suspension issues since abs and the air ride are really not tied together. I would be telling the dealer since the parts did not fix the issue put the old parts back in or refund you for the repair. Then find another dealer. You could have deleted the air for 1/2 of what they charged you not to fix it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Air ride systems get moisture in them and it freezes causing so many issues. In my opinion they should be evacuated every so often ,then vacuumed and refilled. Truckers use some type of product to remove moisture from their air systems ,this should also be applied to rams .

Logjammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that sux... I went thru some frustration and money recently on my 17 Limited. After multiple trips to the dealer who seemed to be helpful and confident, I blew $2K on a new compressor. Then, within a few weeks they needed to add a "drying agent". Still had issues and the last straw was when they discovered a leaking bag and manifold. That was going tpo be another $3K. I cut my losses and converted to coils/stuts/shocks and couldn't be happier. A days work and $830...done deal. This doesn't help you I know but last week I went to a different Ram dealer Ive dealt with in the past and spoke to the service manager and his assistant. They were honest and forward about issues with this system (especially in cold areas...I'm in Minnesota). I'd write a letter to the service manager expressing your frustration and ask for some relief on the bill.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Air ride systems get moisture in them and it freezes causing so many issues. In my opinion they should be evacuated every so often ,then vacuumed and refilled. Truckers use some type of product to remove moisture from their air systems ,this should also be applied to rams .

Back in the day we used line dry aka alcohol, now days they use stuff like air brake/system anti freeze & conditioner: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCBM2832 https://www.zoro.com/crc-air-brake-...erm=4586131723107564&utm_content=All Products

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
THIS!

is why I did not buy a truck with air adjustable suspension.

Is there any way you can swap the air suspension out and go conventional? Once the trouble begins, the air suspension is now, and forever will be, a perennial headache.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know nothing about these, but should not be that hard to hear leaking air bag, or line.
When my truck was getting a oil change , fellow was tearing a almost new one apart.
He said they maybe OK in the south , but here where we spend months at -10-20 they are a pita, and very few here, but lots of problems.
I have had air brake lines freeze on a heavy tandem , mind you that was a older hi mile one.