Ac compressor clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylanst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2014ram 1500 Laramie with 34k miles. As of tonight my ac stopped working and I could hear a noise coming from under the hood. When I got to pull over I popped the hood and there was a burning smell. It seems that with the ac on the clutch is slipping and not fully engaging. With so little mileage and ac use I find it weird for the clutch to fail but wasnt sure if other people had this issue. With the crappy electrical systems in these trucks maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks for any help before I start digging into it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jljbtm

Reaction score
I don't know what it could be? Either the clutch or the compressor seized up. I have a 135000 on my 2011 Laramie and everything works so far without fail (knock on wood)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dylanst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well pulled it apart today and seems the clutch plate uses a rubber dampener and that ripped apart so all I need is a clutch plate but unfortunately doesn't look like you can just purchase it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Buddhaman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ironically I also have a 2014 Ram 1500 and the same exact thing just happened to me last Wednesday. I am not having any luck finding a clutch assembly either. I really don’t want to replace the whole compressor since there is nothing wrong with it. It would be quite an expensive job too considering the system would probably need to be evacuated and recharged. Please let me know if you end up finding a clutch anywhere

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ironically I also have a 2014 Ram 1500 and the same exact thing just happened to me last Wednesday. I am not having any luck finding a clutch assembly either. I really don’t want to replace the whole compressor since there is nothing wrong with it. It would be quite an expensive job too considering the system would probably need to be evacuated and recharged. Please let me know if you end up finding a clutch anywhere

There is a lot of room up front there. Could you not remove the fan and fan shroud, giving you enough space to get a puller to pull out the clutch assembly and replace JUST that?

You'll have to buy a whole separate compressor if you cant find just the clutch assembly, but you can get one online or save money and get one from a scrap yard. Thats what I did on my only 2006 Explorer. This saves you having to evacuate and recharge the system. I think I paid 90$ for the used AC Compressor. The process is quite simple. See below, starts at about the 3 Minute mark.

And make sure you check the "gap" when you replace the clutch assembly! Because I learned when it happened on my 2006 Explorer, the ac compressor was good, but the age of the rubber, and the hot and cold cycles on the rubber may have weakened it. But in regards to the "gap", if it is too large the clutch wont engage or engage with some slippage causing increased heat, a smaller than specd gap is also bad. I think a slipping clutch is what jacked up my rubber dampener on the Explorer.

-Erick