AC evap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilroy2981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hey fellas, the blend doors on my 06 3500 are broken, so I'll be ripping out the dashboard to get to the hvac box. While I'm in there I'm also gonna change the heater core and evap. My question is do I have to add any pag oil to the evap before I reinstall it in the hvac box? Thanks for any and all advice.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AllDataDIY has it at 60 milliliters (2 fluid ounces). Automotive HVAC systems typically list how much to add in the directions that come with them, not always true though.

With the level of effort to get to those blend doors, you may want to consider replacing the rest of them as well since you already have the shell apart, just a thought.

The link below is to the service manual for the 3rd Gen Rams here on the forums, very detailed and very useful.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to the junkyard and got a box for $35. Then I rebuilt it with new flaps- Heatertreater, new heater core and new evap. Cleaned it up nice and everything. Then I pulled my dash and swapped it. Only took me three hours to swap with a pre built box.Plus I got to clean everything up while I was at it. I added two fl ounces of PAG oil before taking to shop for recharge.I have nice cold ac that smells like a new truck.

OP
OP
K

Kilroy2981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
AllDataDIY has it at 60 milliliters (2 fluid ounces). Automotive HVAC systems typically list how much to add in the directions that come with them, not always true though.

With the level of effort to get to those blend doors, you may want to consider replacing the rest of them as well since you already have the shell apart, just a thought.

The link below is to the service manual for the 3rd Gen Rams here on the forums, very detailed and very useful.

Yup, I'm changing all the doors while I'm in there as well. Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
K

Kilroy2981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I went to the junkyard and got a box for $35. Then I rebuilt it with new flaps- Heatertreater, new heater core and new evap. Cleaned it up nice and everything. Then I pulled my dash and swapped it. Only took me three hours to swap with a pre built box.Plus I got to clean everything up while I was at it. I added two fl ounces of PAG oil before taking to shop for recharge.I have nice cold ac that smells like a new truck.

I'm changing everything in there while I'm there. That's a good idea about the box. I'll have to check into that thanks.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
I am getting Blend Doors USA with new drivers. What about actuators? Best brand name or actuator is a actuator theory? I am leaning towards new everything. Even fan.

My problem is that I am doing it once. I hope.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the heater treater 5 door pack for $275 shipped. They sent a 9 volt battery adapter to test the actuators with it.These also had a denser foam on the doors.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
Kev how long ago was that? Are you happy with the Heater Treaters?

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the heater treater 5 door pack for $275 shipped. They sent a 9 volt battery adapter to test the actuators with it.These also had a denser foam on the doors.

$100 cheaper than blend door USA. Yes please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk