Active shutters, what's the consensus?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The website configurator will only show you the volume production colors. You can still order low volume colors, but they require you to custom order the truck which means you pay full retail and wait a couple months for them to slot your truck into the production schedule. They have to wait not only for all the stars to align on your production class but also for enough other trucks to be ordered - either by individuals or by fleet buyers - to make it worth changing the paint line over. They're not going to paint just one blue truck in the middle of painting a thousand boring grey and white ones.

The low volume colors available for 2021 are:

• Black Clear Coat (PX8)
  • Case IH Red Clear Coat (P61)
  • Construction Yellow Clear Coat (P71)
  • Detonator Yellow Clear Coat (PYB)
  • Light Green Clear Coat (PGC)
  • Midnight Blue Clear Coat (PB8)
  • National Safety Yellow Exterior Paint (P74)
  • New Holland Blue Clear Coat (P72)
  • Omaha Orange Clear Coat (PL4)
  • School Bus Yellow Clear Coat (PL1)
  • Timberline Green Pearl Coat (PGW)
  • Utility Orange Clear Coat (P83)
  • Yellow Exterior Paint (P63)
In addition to paying full MSRP for a custom built truck and waiting up to 90 days for it to be built, it's also a $450 charge for a low volume color. I expect that most of these colors exist to meet municipal or other fleet demands, and would not exist as options if they relied entirely upon single buyer wishes. It would be nice if they advertised them better though..

The majority of people shopping for trucks want to just buy something "today" not 3 months from now, and dealers just want to move volume so you end up with the equivalent of elevator music on the dealership lots and in everybody's driveway. Nobody actually likes elevator music but everyone will tolerate it. The same is true for grey/silver/beige/whatever trucks.. one out of ten buyers might sort of want a fun color but ten out of ten buyers can be talked into a grey one if the right deal is offered.

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
So I got a 2020. I live in the south. Whats up with the active shutters?

Keep em or remove some of them to run cooler?

Its winter now, but not that cold here in SC. If I was back in Jersey I may find a benefit, but I tow a camper.

Just wondering what benefits are yall seeing if they are removed. Temps?
My 2013 doesn’t have them, I’m in Alberta Canada and we see seriously cold temps here. Truck reaches operating temp quickly even in this climate. Probably a nightmare to try and delete.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally don't mind the AGS, for the most part my truck appears to be well cooled. Like you I tow a trailer and that's where the problems start, guys have reported temps well over 250, in the neighborhood of 275 at times and that is not acceptable.

I'm probably going to go with an external oil cooler, leave everything from the factory "as is" and then the cooler would be thermostat controlled and only activate when temps start running above 240 or so.

I don't believe removing the shutters will do anything useful. The truck controls the temperature very well (for the most part) and it does its thing to get the temps up to operating as soon as possible, and then keeps it at that point. Only when towing do the temps seem to run away for a bit but at that point the shutters are already open wide, fans are on, but the truck can't shed the heat any faster. So I don't see how removing shutters (which are already open and "removed" from the equation) are going to help fix that problem. If they were remaining closed due to a bug, sure that might help, but they're already open, removing them won't make the truck cool down any quicker; we're just building more heat the truck can shed so we need bigger coolers or more of them. Using a thermostat so that the new coolers only activate when the temps are running out of control means that we won't interfere with the heating/cooling system when we don't need it and the truck can operate as designed for 99% of the time.
I didn't read the entire thread, but the grille can be a limiting factor on shedding heat.
The Big Horn/Sport/etc. slat grille is air flow limited - I have reached it's ability to cool the truck towing in certain conditions.
The honeycomb is a much more efficient grille for towing - it really offers almost no air flow restriction.
The 2018 Sport grille is between the above 2, but I haven't hit it's limit yet.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for that info. That part looks like that it is just the adaptor and must connect to hoses to a cooler on the front im assuming. have the part numbers for the rest of the system

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
So I got a 2020. I live in the south. Whats up with the active shutters?

Keep em or remove some of them to run cooler?

Its winter now, but not that cold here in SC. If I was back in Jersey I may find a benefit, but I tow a camper.

Just wondering what benefits are yall seeing if they are removed. Temps?
In the South the primary benefit is economy. You will reach operating temp quicker on short trips (as they keep the heat in when parked), and they can cut down on wind noise at highway speeds.

If you're looking to lower temps changing to a higher flow grill (even with them still in) will do more for you. You'll see a few degrees at best if you remove them, so unless they break out of warranty or you're racing and fighting heat soak I would not remove them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the South the primary benefit is economy. You will reach operating temp quicker on short trips (as they keep the heat in when parked), and they can cut down on wind noise at highway speeds.

If you're looking to lower temps changing to a higher flow grill (even with them still in) will do more for you. You'll see a few degrees at best if you remove them, so unless they break out of warranty or you're racing and fighting heat soak I would not remove them.
What part of Alberta are you in Tim,there's a few of us Albertans on here,lol. I'm in Airdrie

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kursk, I am sorry for the missunderstanding. I thought we were talking about the Ram 1500 5.7 hemi the original poster has now.
I am unaware of every vehicle Chrysler engine and model ever made and it’s accessories and engine components. I am sure there are plenty of accessories and components I am unaware of.
If I was to restate the comment I made it would read: There is no oil cooler available from Chrysler for the RAM 1500 5.7 hemi and model for the years being discussed by the original poster as of now.
Thank you for allowing me to clarify my comment.
Additionally, I would ask you to look at the link you posted and review the application.
It reads: “Applications:392. Max AWD. Plus AWD. Night 4x4. Alpine 4x4. Yellow Jacket. Red Vapor 4x4. 100th Anniversary Edition”
I do not see 5.7 L any place on the link you have posted.

2012-2021 ram 1500 with 5.7l

What is the OEM Mopar part number of this oil heater that’s being discussed???

Does it look like this OEM Mopar oil cooler that goes bottom radiator hose to cooler to thermostat housing?

Attachments

• 2F4D568D-E269-49A1-A382-AA8225B40371.png
    2F4D568D-E269-49A1-A382-AA8225B40371.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 731C0C9C-34B4-40E1-B988-0583E70B1887.png
    731C0C9C-34B4-40E1-B988-0583E70B1887.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 64C090A5-0DF0-490C-942E-C7DD70873F36.png
    64C090A5-0DF0-490C-942E-C7DD70873F36.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I'd be curious to see how much heat that would pull out of the oil,as that's the oil heater/cooler module.How much heat would hot coolent actually pull out of the oil when it's at full oil flow and operating temp,as the oil flowing through it,isn't really in contact with much of a heat exchanger for any length of time.That's a pretty small aluminium heat exchanger to really accomplish much in the way of cooling the oil,it's tiny even in comparision to the heat exchanger on the side of the 8 speed,so how efficient it'd be as cooler is the question.Somebody with-out the oil heater/cooler needs to do a test on how much this would actually drop the oil temps.Not gonna be me though,as my dual remote filters keep the oil temps in my truck where i like them.
Was a standard item on my 2015 SSV (police package), and the oil and coolant temps were always within a degree even towing through the Rogers pass. My 2020 ST does not have one and the oil gets hotter than the coolant just towing in Southern Alberta. The ST also takes longer to get to operational temps when it's been plugged in during cold snaps.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
What part of Alberta are you in Tim,there's a few of us Albertans on here,lol. I'm in Airdrie
OP is southern US, but I'm just a bit south of you. I've met up with a few members for assistance and trades over the years. Oddly most in Red Deer.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP is southern US, but I'm just a bit south of you. I've met up with a few members for assistance and trades over the years. Oddly most in Red Deer.
How far south are you,lol.In the summer the local ALX club holds a weekly Wed night meet at the Canadian Tire/Marks parking lot in Airdrie if you're interested.Us truck guys are always welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN5104 (2).JPG
    DSCN5104 (2).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 4