Adding horn without removing OEM horn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramster96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Is there a way just to wire in another replacement horn without replacing the old horn that no longer works. I read that I would have to remove the grill,etc. in order to put a replacement horn in. Is it possible to wire a horn in and just leave the old shot horn in place? If so is there a simple way to bring a horn wire to a new horn, drill holes, and just mount another horn? My first post!!Thank to anyone that will repond.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The horns are not hard to get to once you open the hood. Just remove the old ones, and install new ones. Easiest way.

OP
OP
R

Ramster96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I am having trouble just finding the horn. It does not readily appear to be visible in front of the tire...is it down under the frame?

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way just to wire in another replacement horn without replacing the old horn that no longer works. I read that I would have to remove the grill,etc. in order to put a replacement horn in. Is it possible to wire a horn in and just leave the old shot horn in place? If so is there a simple way to bring a horn wire to a new horn, drill holes, and just mount another horn? My first post!!Thank to anyone that will repond.
If you can locate the wires going to the existing horn, you could simply use them to power a new horn provided the new horn does not exceed the amperage rating of the existing horn circuit. Some very loud aftermarket horns might blow the existing horn's fuse so be sure to check the amperage rating before you buy. If the replacement horn exceeds the fuse's rating, you would then need to install a horn relay to handle the extra power required. These relays, along with wiring instructions are often included with aftermarket horns as a kit.

If you install an OEM replacement horn or an aftermarket horn with the same or lower amperage rating, you shouldn't have any problems and can use the existing wiring.

You don't need to remove the existing horn, once its wires are cut and connected to the new horn, you can simply leave it in place.

OP
OP
R

Ramster96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I can't find the OEM horn? I have nothing in front of the driver side tire or behind the left fender. I bought the truck in '96 new and no one has messed with the horn? Where can I pick up a new lead for the new horn?

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't find the OEM horn? I have nothing in front of the driver side tire or behind the left fender. I bought the truck in '96 new and no one has messed with the horn? Where can I pick up a new lead for the new horn?
1996?? 24 years old? No wonder the horn is shot.

If you can at least locate the wiring going to the horn, you can simply cut it and splice on a new lead using wire you can buy from stores such as Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They also sell crimp-on splices and terminals to make the job easy. Just take it one step at a time. If you buy a replacement horn kit, they often include wires, terminals and instructions.