Additonal trans cooler config for 66RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am getting ready to install an remote mount trans cooler on my '16 PW, the Derale 15865 Hyper Cool 25 row cooler with 500cfm electric fan, 46,000 btu / hr capable.

I recently removed my mechanical clutch fan and lost some airflow through my four stack radiator set up in front (and I don't want the mech fan back). I have removed the thermostat block adn replaced with the Rev-Max straight through block. The Rev-Max helped but now that summer is full on my trans creeps past 170F with even brief bouts of 'spirited' driving. I would prefer 140F being maintained.

Once the the heating begins both trans and engine temps start climbing, engine coolant as high as 210F, trans as high as 190F. Any heavy use of the throttle and temps continue up, but if I drive steady interstate speeds the temps come right back down, ect at 190F (180F tstat), and the tot 165F ish. The temps come down fast enough I think the cooling systems are close to appropriate but not quite.

To add to the heat issue, I have a 3000 stall tc ready to go in, at which point the trans cooling will be undersized.

Should I keep the OE trans cooler in service and add the Derale inline after the OE cooler, before the OE cooler, or is 46,000 btu's enough that I can remove the OE cooler and just run the Derale?

The only reason I have for removing the OE cooler is to remove it from the four stack up front in hopes of gaining some additional cooling for the engine coolant. Same reason I would run the Derale in line before the OE cooler, hoping to remove most of the trans oil heat before the stack. I don't know if removing the OE trans cooler will result with any appreciable engine cooling or not.

The OE trans cooler is third in the stack, directly in front of, and covering approx 70% of the engine coolant radiator.

Any feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. I am eager to install today. Right on, TIA

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am getting ready to install an remote mount trans cooler on my '16 PW, the Derale 15865 Hyper Cool 25 row cooler with 500cfm electric fan, 46,000 btu / hr capable.

I recently removed my mechanical clutch fan and lost some airflow through my four stack radiator set up in front (and I don't want the mech fan back). I have removed the thermostat block adn replaced with the Rev-Max straight through block. The Rev-Max helped but now that summer is full on my trans creeps past 170F with even brief bouts of 'spirited' driving. I would prefer 140F being maintained.

Once the the heating begins both trans and engine temps start climbing, engine coolant as high as 210F, trans as high as 190F. Any heavy use of the throttle and temps continue up, but if I drive steady interstate speeds the temps come right back down, ect at 190F (180F tstat), and the tot 165F ish. The temps come down fast enough I think the cooling systems are close to appropriate but not quite.

To add to the heat issue, I have a 3000 stall tc ready to go in, at which point the trans cooling will be undersized.

Should I keep the OE trans cooler in service and add the Derale inline after the OE cooler, before the OE cooler, or is 46,000 btu's enough that I can remove the OE cooler and just run the Derale?

The only reason I have for removing the OE cooler is to remove it from the four stack up front in hopes of gaining some additional cooling for the engine coolant. Same reason I would run the Derale in line before the OE cooler, hoping to remove most of the trans oil heat before the stack. I don't know if removing the OE trans cooler will result with any appreciable engine cooling or not.

The OE trans cooler is third in the stack, directly in front of, and covering approx 70% of the engine coolant radiator.

Any feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. I am eager to install today. Right on, TIA
When I install the auxiliary trans coolers I leave the stock coolers in place. I install the auxiliary coolers after the stock cooler.

Removing the stock trans cooler will really hinder your trans cooling capacity. The minimal airflow gained through the radiator doesn't overtake the trans cooling capability in my opinion.

If you still want to leave the viscous clutch fan out of the picture and only run the stock electric fan consider upgrading the fan motor like I do on most of my builds.

I use the fan motor from the 2015-2017 Jeep Renegade. This motor works great and is quite a bit faster than the stock RAM electric fan. I actually run the Renegade radiator fan shroud/assembly on my 2004 Ram 1500 and I run the Renegade fan motor on my A/C condenser with a modified fan shroud and they both work fantastic. IMG_20210528_051258.jpgIMG_20210623_035359.jpg

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
When I install the auxiliary trans coolers I leave the stock coolers in place. I install the auxiliary coolers after the stock cooler.

Removing the stock trans cooler will really hinder your trans cooling capacity. The minimal airflow gained through the radiator doesn't overtake the trans cooling capability in my opinion.

If you still want to leave the viscous clutch fan out of the picture and only run the stock electric fan consider upgrading the fan motor like I do on most of my builds.

I use the fan motor from the 2015-2017 Jeep Renegade. This motor works great and is quite a bit faster than the stock RAM electric fan. I actually run the Renegade radiator fan shroud/assembly on my 2004 Ram 1500 and I run the Renegade fan motor on my A/C condenser with a modified fan shroud and they both work fantastic. View attachment 463875View attachment 463876
Right on, this is exactly what I needed. I did try and upgrade my electric fan with a new assembly with shroud, swamped the OE fan into the shroud and every other config, hasn't cooled like I want it to. It needs more and this is it. Thank you!!

Do you have a favorite spot for installing your auxillary trans cooler?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Right on, this is exactly what I needed. I did try and upgrade my electric fan with a new assembly with shroud, swamped the OE fan into the shroud and every other config, hasn't cooled like I want it to. It needs more and this is it. Thank you!!

Do you have a favorite spot for installing your auxillary trans cooler?
I have two different places that I like to mount my auxiliary coolers, especially coolers with fans. One spot is a pretty peculiar spot but works great and it is behind the right headlamp. Depending on the size of the cooler I like to put them here sometimes because of the frontal airflow that makes it into the compartment behind the headlamp.

The second place I like to put them, is mounted flat/horizontal between the left rocker panel and the frame rail. Pretty simple and easy to run the lines too and you get great airflow from under the truck.

Also, if you can get your hands on one of the fan motors for the 2015-2017 Jeep Renegade you will like it. It is a solid upgrade over the OEM fan. I use two of These fan motors on most of my builds on the 3rd gen trucks.