Affects of Spindle Lift and Level Spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
2014 Ram 1500 2WD

4.5" Maxtrac Lift
2" Level Spacer up front
5" Coil out rear (truck was squatting slightly with the 3" coil)
3" Body Lift
22x12 Ballistic Rims
35x12.50R22 Kenda Klever
Stock UCA's

my questions are:

what are the real impacts or effects from having BOTH the 4.5" lift spindle AND the 2" Leveling Spacer installed ??

Are you supposed to only have one and not the other ??

Do people actually stack those to get more lift ??

I have had this slight "movement" in my front suspension that feels like an up and down movement from around 60-75mph...

my tires were originally Nitto Terra Grapplers but after 48,000 miles, I decided to get some new ones on Saturday - got some Kenda Klever RT's

The tires smoothed out the ride tremendously, but NOW, I feel I still have some movement that is coming from the suspension...

the Nittos I took off had some patchiness to them, but what if they were patchy from all the "up and down" feeling ?? I want to attack it before it starts patching up my new tires...

the up and down feeling I'm getting feels as if it's coming from the shocks not rebounding correctly, that's why I asked about the spindle/spacer combo...

when I'm on the highway and I hit those long, deeper dips, the truck goes down and comes right back up so fluidly and beautifully, but this vibration I'm feeling is on perfectly straight roads...

the vibration is not even enough to shake my steering wheel, but it's enough to move a Coke Can in my cup holder to where it rattles enough to make noise, know what I mean ??

January last year I replaced front shocks, wheel bearings, rotors and lower ball joints...

this January, I replaced tires...

Truck has 133k miles and it's paid off...

F1049DE2-113C-442E-874C-60CBEE01642C.jpeg F09E4C5B-2B1D-491A-8FF6-BC6F57D3896F.jpeg BF417A5A-0255-40EF-84DB-6497D1E2AF72.jpeg

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
From the ground to the bottom center of the fender wells, I'm getting 45.75" and 46.75"...

46EBAA2D-A853-4DE7-835E-94E184D9FF16.jpeg 754E4117-3698-44A2-98D6-6B6F4E48D798.jpeg 00EDF04B-59D0-4184-8E93-169DDC5474E8.jpeg

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re 2wd. Most of the problems come from people who are 4wd and it binds the cv shaft or blows the ball joints out. Maxtrac sells a 7” kit for the 2wd that uses both a lift spring and the spindles so honestly you should be fine. Generally patchy tires are due to off balance, out of round, bad shocks, loose or bad suspension components including ball joints, wheel bearing, control arm bushings, tie rods or steering sloppy or loose. Best place to start is lift the front end of the truck off the ground and take the front tires and try to move them by hand and check all the suspension and steering components for play. Check all bushings for cracks or gaps.

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You’re 2wd. Most of the problems come from people who are 4wd and it binds the cv shaft or blows the ball joints out. Maxtrac sells a 7” kit for the 2wd that uses both a lift spring and the spindles so honestly you should be fine. Generally patchy tires are due to off balance, out of round, bad shocks, loose or bad suspension components including ball joints, wheel bearing, control arm bushings, tie rods or steering sloppy or loose. Best place to start is lift the front end of the truck off the ground and take the front tires and try to move them by hand and check all the suspension and steering components for play. Check all bushings for cracks or gaps.
Yeah, back in January, the shop did all of that and noticed the only thing that they needed to replace was lower ball joints...so I had the shop replace them, along with new Fox Shocks and the 5" rear coil...

my buddy did the easy stuff like wheel bearings, rotors and brake pads...

MattFrmSac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the Dodges, it might not be such a big deal, but on the GM trucks where the adjustment is in the upper arm, it will be a nightmare.

The biggest issue I could realistically see is increased stress on the ball joints and increased bump steer. It may also be a lot harder to get a good alignment.

The bounce may be from weak shocks? It sounds like it's more of an oscillation than a vibration? Maybe play with tire pressure to see if that helps.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
2014 Ram 1500 2WD

4.5" Maxtrac Lift
2" Level Spacer up front
5" Coil out rear (truck was squatting slightly with the 3" coil)
3" Body Lift
22x12 Ballistic Rims
35x12.50R22 Kenda Klever
Stock UCA's

my questions are:

what are the real impacts or effects from having BOTH the 4.5" lift spindle AND the 2" Leveling Spacer installed ??

Are you supposed to only have one and not the other ??

Do people actually stack those to get more lift ??

I have had this slight "movement" in my front suspension that feels like an up and down movement from around 60-75mph...

my tires were originally Nitto Terra Grapplers but after 48,000 miles, I decided to get some new ones on Saturday - got some Kenda Klever RT's

The tires smoothed out the ride tremendously, but NOW, I feel I still have some movement that is coming from the suspension...

the Nittos I took off had some patchiness to them, but what if they were patchy from all the "up and down" feeling ?? I want to attack it before it starts patching up my new tires...

the up and down feeling I'm getting feels as if it's coming from the shocks not rebounding correctly, that's why I asked about the spindle/spacer combo...

when I'm on the highway and I hit those long, deeper dips, the truck goes down and comes right back up so fluidly and beautifully, but this vibration I'm feeling is on perfectly straight roads...

the vibration is not even enough to shake my steering wheel, but it's enough to move a Coke Can in my cup holder to where it rattles enough to make noise, know what I mean ??

January last year I replaced front shocks, wheel bearings, rotors and lower ball joints...

this January, I replaced tires...

Truck has 133k miles and it's paid off...

View attachment 232803 View attachment 232804 View attachment 232805

Get some of these....
20190307_120051.jpg

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
But "why" should I get those ??

what will control arms it help with ??

...and will I be able to use them if I'm using the leveling spacer in conjunction with my 4.5" Spindle ??

I'll quote @Maxtrac Suspension

"The big benefit with these arms is having more droop travel over stock. this equates into better ride quality and less "topping out" while going over bumps. The arms come clear anodized to last and come with our limited lifetime warranty."

https://maxtracsuspension.com/i-30500295-2009-18-ram-1500-forged-aluminum-upper-control-arm.html

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'll quote @Maxtrac Suspension

"The big benefit with these arms is having more droop travel over stock. this equates into better ride quality and less "topping out" while going over bumps. The arms come clear anodized to last and come with our limited lifetime warranty."

https://maxtracsuspension.com/i-30500295-2009-18-ram-1500-forged-aluminum-upper-control-arm.html
Appreciate the help

just paid $400 and scheduled the install with a local shop that is a Maxtrac Distributor ($885 parts/labor out the door)

gonna get done in the 19th, but I'll drop the truck off on Friday so I won't have to drop it off on Monday or Tuesday...

he will also recommend a couple shops that do "road force balancing" to help smooth this rig out :)

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Appreciate the help

just paid $400 and scheduled the install with a local shop that is a Maxtrac Distributor ($885 parts/labor out the door)

gonna get done in the 19th, but I'll drop the truck off on Friday so I won't have to drop it off on Monday or Tuesday...

he will also recommend a couple shops that do "road force balancing" to help smooth this rig out :)

Damn that is a hell of a package price!

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Damn that is a hell of a package price!
I called two shops

the first shop wanted $1050 out the door - second shop wanted $885...

wish me luck, man

p.s.
I owned 3 SRT4's is my life lol

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I called two shops

the first shop wanted $1050 out the door - second shop wanted $885...

wish me luck, man

p.s.
I owned 3 SRT4's is my life lol
20210106_165111.jpg

I took an installed photo just in case. If for some reason they don't read the directions the M on the arm has to be the front on both sides. It's on the top of the arm when you look at them. If they are installed backwards the Uniball doesn't line up with the spindle properly.

Only difference in my setup vs yours is my kit uses a lift spring vs your spacer. I have zero idea which is better all else being equal.
Someone will chime in on a proper length coilover argument I'm sure and that's why I said all else being equal :D

Not too bad for a 15 with almost 107,000

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have zero idea which is better all else being equal.
Someone will chime in on a proper length coilover argument I'm sure and that's why I said all else being equal :D
That was my main question: does anyone know what the direct impacts are, if any, of having that spacer/spindle combo ??

mine has 133k - 2014 :)

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok, just left Discount Tire after the Road Force Balance

guy said "all of your tires were out of balance - whoever did it, was trash" hahaha !!!

I drove on the feeder and merged onto a major highway...super smooth...picked up speed, still quite smooth...

by the time I looked down, the speedo was hitting 78mph and the shaking/vibration was almost non existent..

like, I'm gonna refrain from getting super excited, so I'll give it a week or so...

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ok, just left Discount Tire after the Road Force Balance

guy said "all of your tires were out of balance - whoever did it, was trash" hahaha !!!

I drove on the feeder and merged onto a major highway...super smooth...picked up speed, still quite smooth...

by the time I looked down, the speedo was hitting 78mph and the shaking/vibration was almost non existent..

like, I'm gonna refrain from getting super excited, so I'll give it a week or so...

Is that just the tire rebalance?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
That was my main question: does anyone know what the direct impacts are, if any, of having that spacer/spindle combo ??

mine has 133k - 2014 :)

None as far as I know. Just 2 different ways to do the same thing. Now if you introduce going to a proper length coilover then that would be something different all together.

OP
OP
Litos

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is that just the tire rebalance?
Yes, just the Road Force Balance...

Next Friday it will get dropped off at the shop so the Maxtrac Control Arms can get installed the following Tuesday :cool: