AGM battery upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrock

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the AGM discussion. Original question was CAN the charging profile be altered in the 3rd gen (2003- the lost year) programming options. I just don’t know (and apparently neither does the dodge dealer) if that’s something that can be changed.
FYI- If you charge an AGM at flooded voltage (14.5v) it will gas and eventually fail. (AGM prefers 13.7v)
do not know where you received this information from but that is false.. AGM come in alot of new veh and the charging voltage has never been changed.

joeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I had the OEM dual SLA starter batteries in my 2012 (the one in my profile photo) for 8 years/90,000+ miles. I switched to Duralast Platinum (H7-AGM) 80 Ah. They charge correctly with no adjustments made to the electrical system. Resting voltage is 12.8 and charging voltage is 14.4.
A correction to my earlier post: The charging voltage is lower than 14.4V. I'm driving cross-country right now and I've been monitoring my starter and camper batteries using Victron components. (Dual Duralast AGM starter batteries under the hood, dual LiFePO4 batteries in the truck camper, and dual (brand new) Walmart 29DC batteries in the travel trailer.) The starter batteries and the travel trailer batteries charge from the alternator charging circuit as designed by RAM. The charging voltage ranges from 13.8 to 14.2 and the resting voltage is exactly 12.8 on both sets, one hour or more after parking the rig. (The LiFePO4 batteries are on a Victron DC-DC charger and a solar charger, and those are the ones that charge at 14.4V)

Attachments

• Victron.jpg
    Victron.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 6