Air Bag Indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently the air bag indicator on my dash has been going on and off as I have been driving. Does anyone know what may be the cause? Possibly a malfunction in the computer system?

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some needs to chime in. There could be a few separate issues. I just recently went through one where I tampered with the wire harness under the seat while trying to fix it and the light popped on and stayed on until I put a new harness in and reset the pcm. That's all I know about this issue :/

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are tons of sensors tied into that system. From a crash sensor to a seat position sensor to the airbag ecu...

Have you tried to pull any codes? Have you done anything recently to the truck?

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Alot of sensors tied to that. I caused it on my 2010 by damaging my steering wheel trying to put on a cover.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nah haven't pulled any codes, I will try that tomorrow and see what I come up with. I haven't done anything to the truck recently either. It didn't come on at all yesterday but we'll see when I take it in to work tonight.

I just don't want the air bag to go off while I'm on the highway - that could potentially cause an issue :eek:

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need a scanner/reader that is SRS capable, not just any scanner can but some of the higher end Innovas and others can. I dont mean like pro grade, just better than what auto parts stores sell. In an airbag system, where there is a light, there is a DTC or several.

As for airbag going off while going down the highway, that is not possible unless there is a short in the wiring to a voltage source that can provide the pulse needed to set it off. Otherwise, the airbag system will perform a diagnostic on itself, and if any faults are present it could actually disable the airbag system to prevent accidental deployment. I would be more worried about it NOT deploying when it needs to.

DO NOT tamper with the harness in any way at all, simply disconnecting the harness while the capacitors are charged could be enough to set off one or both. You dont want that, the driver's airbag is expensive, and the passenger one always breaks the windshield and sometimes the dash. And the insurance company wont cover any of it including the windshield when they realize you set it off.