Air bag install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldan723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a local shop install air bags on my truck today. I think they did an "ok" job. They didn't know where to locate the valve stems for filling. The hitch on my truck is a round tube and the mount with the Firestone kit is made for a square frame or hitch. The spare tire also makes it very tight to install near the rear of the vehicle. They ended up installing it basically facing downward next to the receiver at the rear of the truck. I asked them if they could install it through the license plate holes but they said there wasn't enough room. I also don't like how the right air line is so close to the muffler. They did put some type of heat shield on the air line but I wonder how much protection it will actually give.

It would be great to know where you all have installed the manual valve stems for your truck. A compressor will be coming soon, but I will still keep the existing for an override.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Some people drill out one of the license plate mounting bolts and mount the valve stem there. Another popular place is inside the fuel filler area.
I have mine installed inside the bed, near the top through an existing hole. That wiring you see goes to my cap lighting.
IMG_20161114_174951597-01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a local shop install air bags on my truck today. I think they did an "ok" job. They didn't know where to locate the valve stems for filling. The hitch on my truck is a round tube and the mount with the Firestone kit is made for a square frame or hitch. The spare tire also makes it very tight to install near the rear of the vehicle. They ended up installing it basically facing downward next to the receiver at the rear of the truck. I asked them if they could install it through the license plate holes but they said there wasn't enough room. I also don't like how the right air line is so close to the muffler. They did put some type of heat shield on the air line but I wonder how much protection it will actually give.

It would be great to know where you all have installed the manual valve stems for your truck. A compressor will be coming soon, but I will still keep the existing for an override.
I have the automatic compressor setup installed on two of my trucks with the Firestone bags but both of mine have the auxiliary valve stems mounted next to the license plate. I have mine mounted in between the 7-way trailer plug and the license plate.

One of my trucks has a pair mounted by the rear license plate and an extra set where I decided to get creative and I mounted them in the fuel filler neck. Open up the fuel door and the extra set is inside.

craiggemt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 & 2020
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.4 Hemi
Left of the license plate is a good spot for the manual fill nipple.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an airlift set up with a wireless compressor but my back up valve that I installed sits on the driver side, rear wheel well against the frame. I can snag a picture if you’d like.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have my aux fill stem mounted on the hitch bracket in the hole to the left of the receiver.
IMG_20210907_132844161_HDR (2).jpg

OP
OP
dieseldan723

dieseldan723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have an airlift set up with a wireless compressor but my back up valve that I installed sits on the driver side, rear wheel well against the frame. I can snag a picture if you’d like.
That would be helpful if you could!

TIA