air bag kits for 15 2500 crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coguzzi

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
i was going to order up the Firestone Ride rite 2580 air bag kit for my 15 ram 2500. "supposed" to be a no drill kit, but i see from other installls that just not the case.

i have always used firestone ride rites on my other trucks with day star cradles (necessity in my opinion) and always like the quality. But, seems the kit was maybe rushed to market and you do infact need to drill a hole in the bump stop perch.

so, has anyone tried other brands and what do you think?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just out of curiosity. How much weight/pin weight are you hauling to have enough squat to require air bags?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with these trucks in stock form - 1 ton in the bed has them sit almost lvl. prolly another 300 pounds would lvl it out. Just so you know

OP
OP
C

coguzzi

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
1400lb dry slide in camper installed all the time. i have 1" of rake right now when the camper is dry, as in the back sits 1" higher than the front. what im really after is the camper is heavier on the driver side so has a slight lean to the left. AND i put a moto on the hitch rack alot, so that takes out the 1"

i do plan on putting a 2" spacer in front, and a 1" in the back for a slight lift, so airbags will also help bring back some rake when loaded

i used to sell these campers, and did air bags all the time on 1/2 tons, always firestone. 3/4 tons can live without bags, but...........

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
with these trucks in stock form - 1 ton in the bed has them sit almost lvl. prolly another 300 pounds would lvl it out. Just so you know

Yep!

Twenty six 50 lb bags of corn and sixteen 50 lb bags of protein, 2,100 lbs total. Only squatted about an inch and the back is still higher than the front.

20150905_094019.jpg

Pin weight @ 2,500 lbs. Sits level.

20150419_164805.jpg

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
i do plan on putting a 2" spacer in front, and a 1" in the back for a slight lift, so airbags will also help bring back some rake when loaded

Yeah, that is why I still haven't installed the leveling kit I bought and probably not going to. If you do level it out then yeah you will need air bags to keep from sagging when loaded.

snuffy72952

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 power wagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
i just installed the ride rite kit on my 2015 power wagon. yeah i had to open the hole in the perch about 1/4" also added daystar cradle kit. i run a FWC HAWK and use 20lbs. to bring the truck up to stock height. the truck drives fine and other drivers are not flashing me at night now..

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
i just installed the ride rite kit on my 2015 power wagon. yeah i had to open the hole in the perch about 1/4" also added daystar cradle kit. i run a FWC HAWK and use 20lbs. to bring the truck up to stock height. the truck drives fine and other drivers are not flashing me at night now..

The Power Wagon is pretty much leveled from the factory, and have linear coils like the 1500s do; not progressive coils like the regular 2500s that get considerably stiffer the more you compress them. The linear spring rate coils makes for great articulation off road, but not so much when towing heavy.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why is there so much of a drop (or rack) on the front end of these trucks. 1500 much worse. Sometimes hard for me to figure out if it is a 4X4 or not. I can tell on the 2500 but does have a 2 1/2" drop in the front.
Is this for better aerodynamics? Less air getting under the truck? Or maybe dropped for better handling?
I am getting ready to order me an Outdoorsman. How much are you guys spending to get the front up 2-2 1/2" level with the back? I am mechanically inclined but how much work is involved in this process?
Got all of these great ideas & I haven't even ordered it yet! The 2-3 months I am going to have to wait for it to be built is going to be worse than a little kid waiting for Christmas!:roflsquared:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Have you considered Timbrens instead of the air bags? they require no user input to have them function when needed vs having to air bags up. They also ride undetected while empty vs a little more harsh ride with air bags as you have to have some psi to maintain bag pressure.

I have used both and will use timbrens only anymore...

Unless you are going to level the truck, then air bags are the way to go to ensure the rear doesn't drop at all... My first truck with air bags was a 2006 cummins that was leveled. prior to the level and air bags my truck towed my 36' bumper pull with no trouble, once leveled and with the air bags to maintain rear height i noticed more sway... nothing drastic but did notice more...

off topic, Southtexan, what kind of steps are those?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why is there so much of a drop (or rack) on the front end of these trucks. 1500 much worse. Sometimes hard for me to figure out if it is a 4X4 or not. I can tell on the 2500 but does have a 2 1/2" drop in the front.
Is this for better aerodynamics? Less air getting under the truck? Or maybe dropped for better handling?
I am getting ready to order me an Outdoorsman. How much are you guys spending to get the front up 2-2 1/2" level with the back? I am mechanically inclined but how much work is involved in this process?
Got all of these great ideas & I haven't even ordered it yet! The 2-3 months I am going to have to wait for it to be built is going to be worse than a little kid waiting for Christmas!:roflsquared:
They have so much rake because when you haul 3000 pounds in the bed of the truck you don't want the truck sitting nose high.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never understood leveling a truck. Is it so your headlights that you never aim after shine directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic? To assure your bumper drags when you use it as a truck? Or is it purely just to look cool?

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I've never understood leveling a truck. Is it so your headlights that you never aim after shine directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic? To assure your bumper drags when you use it as a truck? Or is it purely just to look cool?

not everything in life has to have a purpose.

some people tow with their truck, some people dont.
some people off road with their truck, some people dont.
some people leave their trucks stock, some people dont.

get it?

many of leveled to help with snow plows, increase ground clearance, increase wheel well clearance to aid in bigger tires....

the headlights can be adjusted back down and air bags can be added to eliminate sage when loaded...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Most that do level their trucks do so purely for looks alone just like most people that lift their trucks. There might be that .1% out their that have a valid reason for doing it besides looks, but there is no real added benefit for the other 99.9%. Some may say it is for better offroad height, but I would wager that they probably are not willing to take their truck through anything where a leveled truck actually has any benefit over stock height. I have taken my truck through some pretty deep washouts and rocks on the 8 mile trek off road to get to the hunting camp house, and never had any issues with height going down paths that most would not even think of taking their $40k+ truck.

I prefer not to sag when I tow or haul because I think it looks stupid, is more dangerous, and makes the truck look weak. That is just me though. Most people that I know that have levels or lifts on their 3/4 or 1 ton don't really use their trucks as trucks anyways, and their truck is mainly just a status symbol for them or so they can feel a little more manlier about themselves even though they should be driving a half ton or SUV instead based on how they actually use their truck. But it is their money and they can do with it as they please even if the heaviest thing they haul with their 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a sack of groceries.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most that do level their trucks do so purely for looks alone just like most people that lift their trucks. There might be that .1% out their that have a valid reason for doing it besides looks, but there is no real added benefit for the other 99.9%. Some may say it is for better offroad height, but I would wager that they probably are not willing to take their truck through anything where a leveled truck actually has any benefit over stock height. I have taken my truck through some pretty deep washouts and rocks on the 8 mile trek off road to get to the hunting camp house, and never had any issues with height going down paths that most would not even think of taking their $40k+ truck.

I prefer not to sag when I tow or haul because I think it looks stupid, is more dangerous, and makes the truck look weak. That is just me though. Most people that I know that have levels or lifts on their 3/4 or 1 ton don't really use their trucks as trucks anyways, and their truck is mainly just a status symbol for them or so they can feel a little more manlier about themselves even though they should be driving a half ton or SUV instead based on how they actually use their truck. But it is their money and they can do with it as they please even if the heaviest thing they haul with their 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a sack of groceries.

Nailed it.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hahaha groceries. Especially love that last part.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a cooler loaded with beer in mine. That's way heavier then groceries! I think that justifies having a 2500 right? Lol boat or rv soon.