Air bags or the timber progressive bumpstops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok so I hate the way my 2018 2500 "wiggles" when towing and it squats more then I'd like. Yes I am pretty close to max tongue weight most of the time. I am attempting to decide between the firestone air bag set up and the timber bumpstop setup. Theres only little over $100 difference in price. Any help will be appreciated

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What are you towing that's causing issues? Obviously airbags are more adjustable, but require you to air up and air down. You might want to consider an onboard compressor if you swap back and forth towing a lot. I assume the other option is TIMBREN, in which case that will often change your entire driving feel.

Honestly, if you feel you don't have enough suspension in your truck, you probably need a DRW. There is very little difference in real world numbers between your truck and a SRW 3500. Your rear axle should be rated at 6000 lbs, and a SRW 3500 should be 6500 lbs. If you are "wiggling" and squatting, you don't need a band aid you need an upgraded truck.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am towing a 20' enclosed trailer that honestly my f150 handled better. This is my first coil spring rear and I am not a fan at all. I fully admit I have pushed the limits of weight on the hitch and the truck squats more than I think it should. The truck however handles my 30' fifth wheel (goose neck conversion) really well. For some reason I cannot get it to pull a bumper hitch worth a darn

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have pushed the limits of weight on the hitch and the truck squats more than I think it should. The truck however handles my 30' fifth wheel (goose neck conversion) really well. For some reason I cannot get it to pull a bumper hitch worth a darn
If it tows a fiver/gooseneck well but not bumper pull than it's the set up. Try tighten up the WDH if you're using one. If you run the truck over a CAT scale you'll see where the weight load problem is. Airbags/Timbrens will just cover up and/or move the problem elsewhere.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have not invested in a WDH due to never needing one in the past even with my f150 on the same trailer hauling the same payload. However it did have an extra leaf spring in the stack.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It wasn't a matter of not needing one, it was more like you didn't realize how light the front of your vehicle was.
A lot of people have the wrong line of thinking that if a truck is level or not squatting that all if fine. You can't put weight behind the rear axle without loosing weight from the front. Less weight on the front can effect the steering and braking and you might not realize it till you have to brake or steer aggressively.
Fivers/Goosenecks don't have the front balance issue as the pin is slightly in front of the rear axle.
Another thought, you might have a problem with the panhard bar, some people have reported more stable towing after upgrading it.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Crash is correct on the front axle unloading. Only way to offset is with a weight distributing hitch.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I dont understand this scenario at all. Your hauling a 20 foot enclosed trailer and your Old F150 handled it better and squatted less?

That makes no sense to me. The coils on my 2500 are big and beefy. When I hook up my 23 foot 6k TT with no wdh, I get hardly any squat at all.

I can't see how your half ton F150 squatted less with the same load. My 2017 2500 6.4 has over 3100 lbs of payload and yours should be similar. An F150 with max tow/payload package has in the high 2,000s payload capacity. (Regular cab can be 3,000 or more)

Something isn't right and as suggested, we need to figure that out first before adding airbags and such, which are only typically needed if you push the payload capacity to near its max towing a large 5th wheel or something of that sort.

What are you hauling in the trailer and what is the loaded weight?

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I dont understand this scenario at all. Your hauling a 20 foot enclosed trailer and your Old F150 handled it better and squatted less?

That makes no sense to me. The coils on my 2500 are big and beefy. When I hook up my 23 foot 6k TT with no wdh, I get hardly any squat at all.

I can't see how your half ton F150 squatted less with the same load. My 2017 2500 6.4 has over 3100 lbs of payload and yours should be similar. An F150 with max tow/payload package has in the high 2,000s payload capacity. (Regular cab can be 3,000 or more)

Something isn't right and as suggested, we need to figure that out first before adding airbags and such, which are only typically needed if you push the payload capacity to near its max towing a large 5th wheel or something of that sort.

What are you hauling in the trailer and what is the loaded weight?
Yea, I agree this makes no sense at all. I tow a 9500 lbs travel trailer and only use my WDH on longer trips, mostly for the sway control on highways. I get minimal squat with 9500 lbs trailer without WDH and couple hundred lbs of stuff in the bed. OP is confused, at best.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
OP, you still have not stated what weights your talking about. Not every scenario needs a WDH, only if squat on the truck is too much. This is something that needs to be checked every time you switch vehicles. I went from towing my 28' camper with a 1/2 ton with WDH to a 3500 with no WDH and only a drop hitch to level everything out. It really just depends on the load and your vehicle.

For sure something is up with your set up if you're saying that your 1/2 ton truck is towing a trailer better than your 3/4 ton ram.

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Air bags with on board compressor, I went with the Timber bumpstops, stops the rear from squatting, but the ride is rougher.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok i may have failed to mention that the f150 had an extra leaf in the stack of springs so that helped that truck. I do agree that the RAM "should" handle the load better but it does not. This being the first rear coil spring truck I've ever owned I have been blaming the issue on the fact that the coil springs are farther inboard than the typical leaf spring setup. Trading up to a 3500 is not an option so lets just leave that out. I have been planning on moving to a 24' trailer so I don't have to carry so much weight on the tongue of the trailer and that will probably help but it also adds another problem. I don't think a WDH is usable with this trailer due to the V nose being so close to the hitch of the trailer. If I could use one it would definitely have to be a "short bar" setup. I have wondered about the panhard bar having and issue but truck only has 38,000 miles on it so Ive assumed it was ok

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also I have been looking at the firestone airbag setup for $315 and the Timber Groove setup for about $100 more. Im wondering which would be better

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1. A 3500 is not an option at this time
2. The F150 had an extra leaf in the stack and the shocks had coil springs that acted as overloads
3. I am contemplating going to a 24' trailer to take more weight off the tongue however a WDH is probably not an option due to the V nose being very close to the hitch of trailer.

I always blamed the "wiggle" on the fact that the coil springs are farther inboard than the typical leaf spring setup.

I haul approx 4500-5000lbs of cargo in the trailer with approx 1200-1500 in the very front of the trailer.

I have been looking at the firestone airbag setup but Ive seen some guys talk about the timber grove airbags. Im wondering which setup is the best way to go

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wiggle can also be in the tires. I only have a 1500, but coils will squat more than a leaf setup due to the physics. My 150 would tow my 6 x12 without issue. I had Monroe load control shocks. It had a 560lb tongue (yes, scaled) and I ran LTs, and no I did not have a WDH. The F150 only squatted 1 inch and still had 1 inch of rake.

Check your tires cold PSI rating. If not running near or at it increase tire pressure to provide firmer foot print. As for adding bags, etc. they work, but require the additional maintenance of checking pressure regularly.

PS I have already looked Monroe is not making the load control for the Rams

edb1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 Overland, 5.7, 3.23 and 285x70/17's. I bed haul 10' x 4' parts weighing 1700 to 2200#. It is level loaded, but when moving it squats in any curve or corner, not bad, but enough I didn't like it. I went with the Timber bump stop setup. Works great. Previous air bags were too much trouble.
That and Power Stop breaks with stainless lines made it a enjoyable driver. (I too miss the leaf springs.)

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree something is not right if your having trouble pulling a 20’ trailer. Even with that trailer loaded down to the max your truck should handle it with ease. I installed airlift 5000 bags on my 2500 to help with load support. Mainly did it because I have a 2in leveling kit but don’t need them unless I’m pulling heavy. But again that 20’ trailer should not be an issue and no way do I believe an f150 1/2 ton handles loads better than a 2500 3/4 ton unless something is wrong with the truck suspension.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1. 10 ply all terrain tires inflated to 80PSI
2. Took truck to Ram dealer and they wanted $138/hr just to "look" at it even though its under warranty
3. I agree the 2500 should handle the load with ease. But I still maintain that the f150 did better therefore something is wrong with my truck.
4. Going to jack up truck this weekend and see if I can find something wrong.
5. Most likely going to install airbags have not decided on which brand.
6. May install new rear panhard bar as well