Air Bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel
I have a 2019 Cummings dually. I pull a 40ft 5th wheel weighing about 14,000 lb empty. The truck supports the weight for the most part (a little squat). I was thinking about going to Ram dealer to add bags. Not sure of $$ or is it worth doing. Any thoughts?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are better choices than the dealer for an aftermarket set of airbags. Look for a local truck shop.

Oh...got a question for you. What's a "Cummings"?

Ed Ross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just installed the Firestone Ride Rite 2598. DIY. Right side was a bit of a pain due to the brackets being slightly misaligned. Most vids and tutorials say to either raise the truck by frame or to remove the spare tire & heat shield as well as each corresponding tire. I did none of that. Just crawled/sat under and installed the bags. Removing the tires prob would have made things easier though. I use them when towing my 5th Wheel TT. Pin weight of 2100lbs and trailer weight towed at 12500lbs. Put about 70 psi in each and it leveled it out perfect the whole 1000mi trip. I'm sure you can find a shop to install them. Bought mine off of ebay. Saved 250 bucks. Tow vehicle 2500 Cummins CC 4x4 Short bed. These will fit your truck as well. https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/

OP
OP
LeeR

LeeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel
Well, let me ask spell Chech

OP
OP
LeeR

LeeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel
Thanks. Where is the “switch” to add air and is there a gauge?

Ed Ross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. Where is the “switch” to add air and is there a gauge?

If you are asking in regards to the Ride Rite 2598 and Red Labels, there is no compressor with the kit. You have two options for that. 1. Use your own as I did. I have a PortaCable portable compressor I take with me or, 2. They sell a separate onboard air compressor that has a remote or it can bluetoothed to your smartphone. The kit comes with fill valves stems that can be mounted wherever you want. I mounted it to the tow bar facing the rear with the included bracket so I can inflate and deflate. No hassle and you can inflate either side separately for your needs. I chose to keep each bag separate for that reason. You can "T" them off so they can be filled simultaneously. My chuck has an analog gauge so I can read it as I'm inflating or deflating. If you don't have one, get one that reads up to at least 100psi. I might replace mine with a digital gauge. The Red Label bags fill up to 150psi so will require a gauge that reads up to that.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Firestone/F2598.html

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Air bags allow gradually increasing the height of the bed with a 5th wheel trailer attached. If you do not need the precision lift then the air bags only add a couple more points of failure. If you do add airbags be sure not to use a Tee fitting but fill each side independently - it will allow them to function better.