Air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I've been looking into getting a vehicle mounted air compressor such as the ones that come from the VMAC brand. The only pricing I can find on those is used on ebay at around 3200 dollars which is a bit ridiculous to me considering they are basically just a/c compressors that self contain oil. Are there any other brands out there that are more budget conscious? I don't want to go with the small electric ones as I want to be able to run shop air tools off my truck such as a 3/4 impact or air die grinders (those eat air like no other). My next option is to find a large used a/c compressor and build a custom bracket for it such as I did on my rock crawler. I'm looking to be able to use my entire toolbox on the side of the road if need be (used to be a ford tech so I'm the first person people call when they break down). It seems like I'm stuck paying for the VMAC ones or using the crappy little electric ones with a huge air tank to sustain air tools past going custom.

While on this topic, I also want to have power at all times when needed. I have the factory inverter but I want to be able to run my smoker when tailgating or in the desert which pulls more power than the plug provides. Fords inverters support enough but not these. I was planning on jerry rigging together a larger inverter where the factory is mounted and running it to the factory plug so that everything appears stock, but all the wires and inverter are changed to support more power, but figured I'd ask if anyone else has done something similar? I would just add a second inverter in the bed with a couple batteries, but I want to try to avoid putting in a toolbox and losing the space.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Having enough air volume to run air tools takes horsepower, so it's going to be hard pressed to find any electric compressors that will do the volume of the VMAC ones.
Viair dual 485 set up barely does 4 cfm and is 200 psi(1.13 cfm) capable, like you said with a large holding tank it may not be too bad with air tools.
https://www.viaircorp.com/new/485c-gen-2-dual-oba